Help chosing drum heads for heavy music

Eddy00

Hello, I'm new in this forum and I have been playing drums for 2 years more or less.
I have my begginer drum set cheap brand (Millenium from Thomman) with pretty new cymbals like AAX Sabians and new drum heads on the toms and bass drum plus a black panther phat bob snare.
I am thinking to move foward into a new set, and I was thinking in the new PDP CM7 kit without cymbals and hardware or with, still fiiguring that out. I want to play metal and heaby music, but my question is:
--Will this kit suit for me?
--If doesn't sound punchy enough are there heads for toms that can make wonders? If so, could you please list some name in full lenght because I don't know the initials.
--Is there any drum head that can make the sound pure, I mean without needing to add rings on toms and muffles and pilows on bass drum?
--Could a different head on the reasonent side make the difference?
--How the hell do I stop the freakin buzz from snare without adding a paper under?
Thanks for reading and answering.

I think you've got the right idea witht he PDP CM7. The maple shells should work great for you. Being a metal drummer myself, I would recommend birch or maple shells.
For heads, I use the Ebony Pinstripes. They are very versitile Like I said, I am a metal drummer primarily, but I teach and play many different styles. And the versitility amazes me with these heads.
As far as the snare buzz, all you can really do is keep tweaking the snare itself and the tom drums to get a good balance of what is pleasing to your ear, sound wise, and will not make the snare buzz.
My snare drum is cranked pretty high and the snare wires are as close to the reso head as I can get.
And speaking of reso heads, when you make your purchase of the new set, there really is no need to replace the bottom heads on the toms and snare. The stock reso heads work really well.
So I would just invest in the top heads.
For the toms, again I recommend Pinstripes. (Ebony series gives a darker and warmer overtone versus the clear ones) For the snare I would use a coated Ambassador, Powerstroke3 or Emperor.
For the kick I'd recommend the coated powerstroke 3. very very punchy.

To get a more punchy, dark tom sound you could give the new Evans Black Chrome heads a chance. You could also try Remo Pinstripes (as mentioned earlier), Remo Emperors or Evans Hydraulics.

www.evansdrumheads.com

www.remo.com

The head manufacturers websites are very informative and helpful.

Aquarian makes amazing heads. For heavy music: Response-2 (like a G2 or Emperor), Performance-2 (like a Hydraulic or Pinstripe), or the new Force 10 - the thickest head on the market. I saw the F-10's in a store and just tapping them you could feel the quality, and the tell the deepness of sound.

To me the bottom tom heads and the front bass drum are almost as important as the batter heads. Peace and goodwill.

Re: Help choosing drum heads for heavy music

To me the bottom tom heads and the front bass drum are almost as important as the batter heads. Peace and goodwill.

I agree, especially if you're using a two headed drum, but I've tracked bass drums hundreds of times without a resonant head at all. It's all in the requirements of the sound that has to be produced. This was really big in the sixties and somewhat in the seventies, but is still popular today with some variations.

Dennis

Hey Eddy00,

I would strongly recommend checking out the new Evans Black Chrome series for your toms. They are incredibly durable, have a depth of tone that is truly unmatched, and have an aesthetic that is quite striking. The combination of opposing film types/thicknesses helps to cancel out some of the frequencies that make drums sound boxy. What you're left with is a solid, punchy attack with a low frequency response that is unheard of. You can tune them far lower than most drumheads and they project quite well (which is often something that is sacrificed when it comes to a head that provides such a deep response).

Cheers!

Back