Vinnie Colaiuta

darkcherryfade said:
Thank you, but I have my own opinion. I'm not even talking about who did the most of this or that, he just made me feel it the most. Well ok, to say he OWNED it was a bit much, but he shined the most to me. Although Gadd and Weckl were still incredible.

I have to agree with you on that. I think Vinnie stood out a bit more. Gadd was solid but didn't do it for me, the bass roll gets kinda old.

Anyone hear his Megadeth drumming? What a versatile guy.

Stu_Strib said:
Yeah Vinnie was strong. For that other post to say "he held his own" with Weckl and Gadd, as if they are legends, and he isn't yet was a bit odd.

I think Vinnie, because he's been drumming much longer, is probably one of Weckl's influences. I'd never be so egotistical to think I surpassed my heros, even if it were true. I bet Weckl feels this way.

True. He seems to be the humble type. He sounds like it when he talks at clinics and such.

Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.

Vinnie Colaiuta was the drummer that played on the "Nightwalker" album for Gino Vanelli. If you've never heard it, get it, find it, listen to it, the songs Nightwalker & Santa Rosa. This guy Vinnie Colaiuta is amazing in these songs. I really do recommend downloading them. Thanks for Finnhiggins [a member here] and Dogbreath[admin] I found out who this mystery man drummer was. After you listen to the songs, post what you think. I think this guy should've got some ounce of creditability for this album. It was great.

Ty

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.

Just wondering here ... why are you calling Coluita the unsung hero, the mystery man drummer? Hehe I think most people know who he is; he's one of the top drummers that have ever been on the planet!

Ummm, i'm going to agree with ahhznightsky here (haha btw ahh...i never realized what your name actually said until right now, and i have no clue why it took me this long to actually read your name, BUT ANYWAY!)...by no means is Vinnie an "unsung" hero.

Also: you're on the forums right now, go check out the actual Drummerworld page. It's very apparent that right now you are enthralled with Vinnie, (which is good), sooo there is PLENTY of stuff you can watch about Vinnie like videos, audio clips, articles, etc... that i'm sure you'll fall in love with. Go have some fun chasing down that mysterious, unknown, ever so elusive fella that Vinnie is. hehe..

Indeed. If you want to see just how "Unsung" he is, I suggest reading back over the last decade of Modern Drummer reader polls.

Also, his list of CD credits over on AllMusic is literally thousands of albums long, featuring some of the biggest names in popular music.

OK, he's not widely known outside of the world of musicians. But still... He's pretty bloody known inside it!

When you're referenced by simply your first name, I think it says it all.

Ok jesus, i think i get the point. you guys are awfully pushy about it.

mIhertz IMO led zeppelin is the greatest band ever. don't put me in a category of ignorance because I like led zeppelin. thanks buddy

ZeppelinJB said:
mIhertz IMO led zeppelin is the greatest band ever. don't put me in a category of ignorance because I like led zeppelin. thanks buddy

Mate, you've totally missed the point here. Vinnie Colaiuta is most commonly referenced as "Vinnie" in drumming circles. If you say "Hey, have you heard Vinnie on that new CD by ArtistXYZ?" then any well-read drummer is going to immediately assume you mean Vinnie Colaiuta, not Vinnie Paul or any other Vinnie.

He's such a legend you can reference him by his first name, like Buddy, Ringo or Elvin. There's very few musicians who ever get to that level. If you've not encountered Vinnie before I can assure you it's not because he's an unsung nobody, it's just because you're a bit new to this whole drumming thing...

No finnhiggins, im not new to the "drumming thing" and i dont know why you quoted me because what you had had nothing to do with the quote, but w/e. You can think Im "new" or not, im not going to listen to you run your mouth and brag of your text book knowledge my friend. "Vinnie" wasnt on the nightwalker CD case, or anything. I looked into it and nothing told me about him. Just because I researched in wrong spots, doesnt mean I am "new" to "this drumming thing" buddy.

Look buddy, lol I dont need to hear it from you either. respecting Vinnie by freaking out because I don't know him? Whats that do for respect man. If someone didnt know John Bonham Im sure I'd tell him about it, not yell at him for not knowin.

ZeppelinJB said:
No finnhiggins, im not new to the "drumming thing" and i dont know why you quoted me because what you had had nothing to do with the quote, but w/e.

Yes it did, but after two posts you're evidently still too dense to figure it out and instead want to have a go at me as well. You first had a go at mlehnertz for his comment:

"When you're referenced by simply your first name, I think it says it all.". He was talking about VINNIE, not about you. You then took offence because you somehow (I've no idea how) interpreted this as a slight against Led Zeppelin and thought he was calling you ignorant. I quoted you because I felt the need to tell you that he was talking about Vinnie. Clearly you haven't run into Mr Colaiuta before, which would explain why you didn't know. But the rest of us - and, indeed, most of the world of drumming - quite clearly have.

You can think Im "new" or not, im not going to listen to you run your mouth and brag of your text book knowledge my friend. "Vinnie" wasnt on the nightwalker CD case, or anything. I looked into it and nothing told me about him. Just because I researched in wrong spots, doesnt mean I am "new" to "this drumming thing" buddy.

No, not knowing who an uncredited drummer doesn't make you new to drumming, you're right. However, not having a clue who one of the most influential and well-known drum superstars of the last twenty years suggests that you probably haven't exactly picked up a copy of... well... any drum magazine on a regular basis since 1985. So either you're new or you've been away for a very, very long time.

Now, please. I helped you find out who the drummer you were after was. Cool down. People here are just a bit amused that you've started a "OMG, have you heard of this obscure guy I just found on an old Gino Vanelli CD!" thread about arguably the most prolific and well-known session drummer working anywhere in the world today, let alone one of the major pioneers of modern drumming from the late 1970s to now. He has his own signature stick. He was the driving force behind the A Custom series of cymbals, arguably one of the most popular series on cymbals on the planet. He's played with Zappa, Sting, Joni Mitchell, Megadeth, The Backstreet Boys, Barry Mannilowe... John McLaughlin... Allan Holdsworth... and just about everybody else on the planet who has any money or plays fusion.

It's a bit like going to a guitar forum and writing a post going "Hey, I just heard out this totally awesome obscure blues guitarist from the 60s. You guys should check him out - I think his name's Jimi or something...". You can't really do that and expect people not to laugh. Vinnie came first in Modern Drummer's "Best studio drummer" and "Best overall" poll categories for ... ooh... just about most years during the whole of the 90s? That's not exactly unsung. If you're not new to the whole drumming thing, I'd suggest you'd at least have had to have been hiding under a rock to miss him.

Thanx to Amazon, I finally got the Cd Live at Blue Note Tokyo (Chick Corea's Akoustik Band) where Vinnie took Weckl's chair and Oh My : one of the best drumming ever recorded IMO : virtuosity, musicality, energy, feel, fire, passion, pocket in one set ! Amazing !
The CD is very difficult to find because it was realeased only in Japan .
Check out also the drum battle on drummer world where Vinnie is doing at the end of the video a gesture with his head that says : I am Vinnie Colaiuta and I just owned the place, Weckl and Gadd can go on retirement I don't care!Priceless ! Just look at the end of the segment, his gesture is so cocky and arrogant I like it !!!

Vinnie who ???

My dad is a huge drummer and fan of Gino. He looked it up a little didnt find anything. Dude, you can continue to drag this out by calling me new and then saying cool down, calling me ingnorant and saying cool down, well bud, i am fine now, i didnt know the mofo big deal, i anted to ask ppl around, big deal, but i thought this site and forum was a nice community. i didnt think i had to be scolded for simply not knowing a percussionist. My fault buddy, but plz, dont get all pushy and call me "new to this drumming thing." Dont tell me to cool down unless you're willing enough to grow up, and quit posting about how stupid i must be to not know who some drummer is Vinnie Colaiuta. Hes excellent, i just didnt know his name. Also, not every drum magazine since 1985 writes an article every issue about Vinnie Colaiuta.

Dog Breath, Ive seen multiple posts of you saying things like " Well that was off topic, wanna talk about Bla bla." and "Well does anyone wanna talk bout Bla Bla or what."

Im sure we'll get back on topic. And when someone wants to say something about Vinnie, they will....ok?

Hey ZepJB, I've seen multiple posts of you posting off-topic and needing to be reminded to use the search function. When a forum moderator wants to ask you to stay on topic he will . . . OK?

Back