Best base for your Roc 'N' Soc

I don't know what base you are referring to. I bought mine years ago ago with the lunar base (5 feet)

It's great if you're going to keep it set up in one place and not lug it around. I wish I would have gotten the tripod base with the gas shock.

I think the tripod base is the best with the gas shock or the straight spindle, either one.

More portable and better for any uneven stage surfaces you might encounter.

I just purchased a Roc N Soc with the Nitro base. It's awesome. Has the gas lifter built in, like a office chair. It has some good bounce in it to reduce back fatigue and is free spinning too, to also stop straining your back. The best throne I have ever owned, and well worth the money. The only bad thing is you can't take off the seat from the base, unless you carry a spanner with it... Not a problem for me though - Fits perfectly in my hardware bag!

I just purchased a Roc N Soc with the Nitro base. It's awesome. Has the gas lifter built in, like a office chair. It has some good bounce in it to reduce back fatigue and is free spinning too, to also stop straining your back. The best throne I have ever owned, and well worth the money. The only bad thing is you can't take off the seat from the base, unless you carry a spanner with it... Not a problem for me though - Fits perfectly in my hardware bag!

Swap out the hex nuts with wing nuts (I find cymbal stand nuts work) and you will be able to remove the seat by hand. I also removed the seat clamp mount and bolted to a slightly smaller seat for greater portability. These are a couple of mods you might want to consider.

I have been flopping my ass on the same Roc-N-Soc Nitro since 1995. It is the single best investment in comfort and safety I have ever made in a drum set. You have made a good choice. Every few years I set it on a vise and hammer the leg rivets together as they loosen over time.

@StitchKaboodle: Why on Earth would anyone buy a Roc-N-Soc seat without the gas shocks? The whole point of Roc-N-Soc is the gas shock! Hell, I could sell someone my genuine Roc-N-Soc saddle seat to put on a cheapo stand.

I love my Roc N Soc Lunar, except when it's time to load the car to go to a gig. Then I feel as if I'm the butt of some cruel cosmic joke. It's got to be the least travel-friendly throne in the history of drumming. I'm seriously thinking of buying a Nitro tripod base and swapping them out.

To the OP: If you never ever move your throne out of your house (or have an acceptable road throne), then the Lunar is fantastically stable and I recommend it. Just don't get it within ten feet of a car if you value your sanity.

I just bought a RNS with a Gibraltar tripod base that seems to work quite well.

Any idea which base?

@StitchKaboodle: Why on Earth would anyone buy a Roc-N-Soc seat without the gas shocks? The whole point of Roc-N-Soc is the gas shock! Hell, I could sell someone my genuine Roc-N-Soc saddle seat to put on a cheapo stand.

What's the deal with the 'gas shocks'? What do they do exactly? The seat is very comfortable, I just need a stable solid base now.

My DW5000 series throne works great with the RNS top. It might be hard to get just the DW throne without the seat, though. Or they'd charge you just as much.

Any idea which base?

What's the deal with the 'gas shocks'? What do they do exactly? The seat is very comfortable, I just need a stable solid base now.

The gas shock is like an office chair, although seems to make much more sense for the drum throne application. It reduces lower back fatigue. It is friction free spinning swell to also help reduce side fatigue... Trust me. Ask anyone that owns on of these thrones. If you buy one of these, you will never use anything else. The top seat also allows for perfect stability. It feels so natural, almost as if it has been moulded to your backside!! I never get a numb ass anymore, and we all know how that it!

I happen to have a 4 Roc n Soc thrones in my studio:

Saddle seat with spindle: First one I bought. Great. Love it. No complaints.

Saddle seat with gas lift: I thought it would be more practical, but the bounce of the chair bothered me while playing. I like my body to stay stationary while I play. I don't use it to play drums on anymore.

Saddle seat with Gibraltar base: I didn't even notice it wasn't a RnS base when I bought it. Works fine.

Round seat with spindle base: Ooh...try it out. It's more comfy than the saddle seat, in my opinion. Plus, when you go to spin it to adjust the height, it's not lop-sided like the saddle seat so it spins quicker and easier. It's my most-used one for drumming now.

I, for one, didn't like the gas shock feature. I didn't like the bouncy feeling when playing. I took it back, and got the spindle base. Though, I have never had any back related problems while playing, so the shock feature is not needed for me. YMMV.

Thanks all for your opinions. A great help indeed.

The gas shock is like an office chair, although seems to make much more sense for the drum throne application. It reduces lower back fatigue. It is friction free spinning swell to also help reduce side fatigue... Trust me. Ask anyone that owns on of these thrones. If you buy one of these, you will never use anything else. The top seat also allows for perfect stability. It feels so natural, almost as if it has been moulded to your backside!! I never get a numb ass anymore, and we all know how that it!

That explains it well. I would like to try the gas shocks out sometime but in my experience I prefer a solid base. I find it easier to play off. The R'N'S saddle is so comfortable all I need now is some proper support.

I'll probably go for the Gibraltar base. I can't take a risk on the gas shock as I'm ordering online.

Back