Steve Morrison

Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

motleyhooligan said:
Hey Steve, Thanks for all your usefull info. on here. One question, At the begining of TL's drum solo, he is triggering a electronic sound clip " Lets get dirty, lets get XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" by hitting one of the Hart dynamics electronic drum pads, can you tell me how or where I can get that sound clip. Thanks for any info. that you can give!!
Hey bro! Those samples I believe are original Tommy samples... I'm not sure though so I'll ask him tomorrow when I see him. If he OK's it; I'll send them to you. Late!

Re: VIRGIL DONATI!

t-bone said:
hey steve.....i'm going back to a double kick set-up, and i'm noticing on that pic of tommy's kit, the 2 pedals to the left, but no beater....is he using a double pedal?
i'm thinking of doing that until i can pick up a couple of new pedals.......

and what else have you got coming up tech -wise in the near future??

and yes.....virgil donati is a freak of nature.....i'd give a testicle to play like that......
Hey T-bone! Tommy is using a double pedal on the 26 kick for the Motley tour. It's SOOOOO much easier(and consistent) for myself and the audio engineers to only have one kick to mic, tune, etc. I don't think it's any different than 2 kicks w/pedals; the 32" kick was going to be used, but no remote pedal could be designed to accommodate Tommy's setup.
As far as new work- I'm currently in the studio with Tommy and Supernova(engineering); we're doing a thing in Vegas this week, and I tech all of T's DJ gigs as well. So pretty much just full time with Tommy for the rest of the year. Hope that helps! Late!

Great thread. I'm new to DW but I read the whole thing over the weekend. Thanks Steevo.

I caught Crue here in Houston recently and the show was amazing. A couple of camera phone pics here:

http://www.johnlittle.org/2006/03/motley-crue-toyota-center.html

My friends still insist that I was loud enough to catch TL's attention when he was playing around with the camera and spotlight. Maybe I was...dunno..damn vodka :)

This is probably gonna sound dumb, but how did you know you wanted to be a drum tech? Did you just realize you were great at tuning drums and just went for it? Or was it more of a spontaneous thing? One more question, did you used to practice tuning drums?

Hey, Steve, i've got a question! What you can advice me, I'm gonna to record my drum parts for a new album soon, have found the studio with prices we can afford, they 've got a standart 5 piece kit (Premier Cabria, as I can remember..) there, a bunch of Shure and Audio-Technica's, and they've offered me to record all of the drum stuff on Telefunken 15track(+1 timecode) analog tape recorder, should I go for it, or it is easier to go for a digital recording to save a few $$$( cuz I think it'll take much more time mixing analog)? I should do two long songs with much of double bass work(12:00 and 17:00 minutes) and I afraid I'll not be able to record the whole song in one take. And is there any difference in quality between this two ways of recording?

Cant wait yer reply, thanx in advance....

Max.

Last edited:

MAX ZNAEVSKY said:
Hey, Steve, i've got a question! What you can advice me, I'm gonna to record my drum parts for a new album soon, have found the studio with prices we can afford, they 've got a standart 5 piece kit (Premier Cabria, as I can remember..) there, a bunch of Shure and Audio-Technica's, and they've offered me to record all of the drum stuff on Telefunken 15track(+1 timecode) analog tape recorder, should I go for it, or it is easier to go for a digital recording to save a few $$$( cuz I think it'll take much more time mixing analog)? I should do two long songs with much of double bass work(12:00 and 17:00 minutes) and I afraid I'll not be able to record the whole song in one take. And is there any difference in quality between this two ways of recording?

Cant wait yer reply, thanx in advance....

Max.
Hey Max! You asked THE ETERNAL QUESTION among engineers/prodcuers/audiophiles. First off, I LOVE the warm sound that analog tape gives drums when they are recorded. Matt Sorum records to 2" analog tape before dumping the audio into Pro Tools for editing. That being said I am an avid Pro Tools user. Digital recording is soooo much easier to edit and mix than tape. I'm currently engineering preproduction rehearsals for Tommy's new project, "Supernova," and we've done three songs, all tracks in three days; all thanks to the editing power and speed of digital recording. You'll be able to record your longer songs in pieces, without any loss of feel or intensity. Full takes are always best, of course, but long songs like your's, are ultimately finished quicker when done on computer. Hope this helps, let me know how it goes! Late!

Thanks so much Steve, it'll help anyway!! I have a lack of time in the studio, so probably I'll go for a digital.

btw, Steve, can I ask you later about some moments in making and processing sound?

Max.

Hey Steve, Mr. Fanatic once again,

My question regards the drumming music industry. Drumming is my life, and nothing else - hell i've even lost a couple of girlfriends because of it - well im finishing high school next year and i don't really have anything in mind lined up in terms of further education or real work seeing as how I would love nothing more that to play music for the world with my band. But if that dosnt work out, because we both know that chances are very slim for that, I would love to do something in the music industry such as a drum tech like yourself. So how could I make that a reality, after I finish high school? Or even any chance of getting some help from you seeing as how your living my dream?

Mr. Fanatic

Hey Steve,

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info.

There has been some discussion about how Tommy's bass drum sound is created using mics and a sample. How are the other drum sounds created? Are the samples that are triggered from the toms and the snare recordings of Tommy's drums or are they additional sounds that are used to enhance and compliment the accoustic sounds?

Also, would you be able to describe the tunings of Tommy's drums?

Thanks

EL STEVO!!!

Ive got some questions,bud.
But first let me say "thank you" for the opportunity to speak to someone who works with the drums I most admire!

Now, my questions.
(sorry if they're silly...but damn i feel giddy!!!)
:)

1.Im wondering what notes are stamped in Tommy's drum shells?
2.Do you tune his drums to a specific note?
3.I know you said the drum rack is bolted to the riser, but how do you keep the bass drums from sliding forward?
4. In the pics, what type of snare shell is that? It looks copper or bronze..,maybe even a Zildjian alloy annniversary snare?? But those aren't made by DW. They are noble and cooley.

5.Will you hate me if I keep pestering you with questions? :)

6. By any chance are you teching for Dave Lombardo's Slayer gig in montreal?

I can pretty much sum up how I feel with the opening lyric from Tommys Body Architects..
"Im starting from scratch!!!"
I play a vintage DW (pre timbre matching) 26kick 14,16,18 inch toms and Im shooting for his 94 era kit. Still working on the cymbals, I only managed the 20inch heavy bell ride.

Again, thank you for taking time out for this thread and thank you for the up close and personal approach!!!

STAY STRONG AND ROCK ON!!!

~Fdimes

What I want to know is what kit will Tommy be playing tonight on VH1. I was just listening to Shannon Larkin on my local radio station talking about this show that will be on tonight and Tommy will be playing "god of thunder" with an all star band's tribute to Kiss.

In case you missed it,it was the one from the Motley tour.

masonni said:
What I want to know is what kit will Tommy be playing tonight on VH1. I was just listening to Shannon Larkin on my local radio station talking about this show that will be on tonight and Tommy will be playing "god of thunder" with an all star band's tribute to Kiss.
He used the Carnival of Sins kit, also known as the "Dog In A Blender" kit. Nothing was different for the VH1 show from the previous dates; except for replacing some beat up parts. Nice quote on my myspace pic, btw! I laughed my a** off!

To everyone else who has posted questions recently; I'll get to them... I promise... I've been busy in the studio with Supernova.

Hey steve Ive been reading this thread with great interest and think its awesome for you to take time to answer all the questions!! Tommy was one of 2 drummers who really inspired me at a young age to become the musician i am today {the other was myron grombacher} and they were the reason I began to use paiste cymbals so obviously being the geek i am i was bummed when tommy made the switch and i never did see the post with a more in depth explanation of why. You mentioned support which for all our non-profesional drummers out there means "money" and him wanting to go in a different direction. I truly understand both. Hell ive about owned every make of cymbals out there. But what must be said and again being the geek i am Tommy lee's style of playing I feel is much like John Bonhams, huge beats and even Bigger grooves and I cant even imagine trying to figure out what a zildjian would sound like on zep alblum, why would you? I would probably puke. I feel personally that not only style, but an undeniable and unique sound is what makes a legend , Im just bummed that tommy's cymbals are no longer going to be as big as his beats...and with all due respect, will sound like well, like everone elses.
Thats just my opinion though.What does Tommy think?

I dont know man.... the cymbals he uses are HUGE sounding... I have always used the Z-line.... and they have a big sound!!!!

It seems like a lot of big name rock drummers are using Zilds these days....

Hi Steve.

My question is about a Tommy Lee Signature series drumhead by Aquarian. Was there a signature line ever produced? I can't find any info about it online, but I've acquired a few of them. Here's a couple of pictures:

CIMG3621Head.JPG

CIMG3622a.JPG

I don't know anything about them and can't find any info. Were they perhaps prototypes or something? Please tell me what you know about them. Thanks in advance.

Herby

--EDIT--
--->> I just found out a little bit of info on these heads. I guess they weren't produced for a very long period of time????

STEVE - Take a look at some of my Motley Collection. You'll probably find it pretty interesting. Maybe you'll recognize a few pieces and be able to tell me some stories about the stuff.
http://www.twistercity.com/motley.htm

Last edited:

HerbyJr said:
Hi Steve.

Herby

--EDIT--
--->> I just found out a little bit of info on these heads. I guess they weren't produced for a very long period of time????

STEVE - Take a look at some of my Motley Collection. You'll probably find it pretty interesting. Maybe you'll recognize a few pieces and be able to tell me some stories about the stuff.
http://www.twistercity.com/motley.htm

Hey dude,
The Tommy's Aquarian heads had been sold on the market for a few years, but about 2 years ago they stopped production on them. Probably due to poor sales or somthing? It's hard to sell anything with someone's name on it to anyone who isn't a fan.
Tommy changed to Remo anyway because they could make heads in any size he wanted.

I could have some facts wrong, make Steve can help a bit more.

masonni said:
Hey dude,
The Tommy's Aquarian heads had been sold on the market for a few years, but about 2 years ago they stopped production on them. Probably due to poor sales or somthing? It's hard to sell anything with someone's name on it to anyone who isn't a fan.
Tommy changed to Remo anyway because they could make heads in any size he wanted.

I could have some facts wrong, make Steve can help a bit more.
Hey Nick! I believe that Aquarian stopped making the heads as soon as we switched to Remo, in November 2004. I could be wrong. :)

tleetech said:
Hey Nick! I believe that Aquarian stopped making the heads as soon as we switched to Remo, in November 2004. I could be wrong. :)

Your probably right. Someone at Aquarian called me for something a while back, before Motley announced they were going to tour again. I did ask him about Tommy's heads, being a fan and all and who ever it was said they had just discontinued the line. I don't exactly how long ago it was, but it had to be right around the time he called Remo.

Back