Budget Electronic Drum Kit?

Allie

Hi

I'm considering purchasing an electronic drum kit for my husband for his birthday. He's a former drummer, but hasn't played for about 10 years. There's such a huge price range for electronic drum kits and I know absolutely nothing about drums, so some advice would be much appreciated.

If I were to be buying him a kit, I wouldn't really be able to pay much more than £600 (around £800 absolute max, but closer to the £400-£600 mark if possible) - for someone who's not a beginner, are kits at this value ok, or is it really not worth getting one unless I can get something more expensive? I know he'll want something that will really feel just like he's playing an acoustic kit, but it will be just for fun - not for professional/recording purposes.

Being so clueless about drums myself, I'd be after something that I can purchase easily as a full set without having to worry about additional items. We already have an amp and a drum stool, but nothing else that could be of any use.

Can anyone point me towards any good kits that fit my budget, and have all the parts a full acoustic set up would have?

Thanks in advance :)

In general, stick with the best Roland or Yamaha e-kit that fits your budget.

Pretty much all the other brands in the price range are not worth your money.

One exception is KAT has a new e-kit line that are at a nice price point and seem good for their price. I saw them at a trade show last January.
http://www.katpercussion.com/
I have zero idea if they are available in the UK at this time.

I agree. go with Roland or Yamaha. Bear in mind that e-kits do not usually come with drum throne or kick pedal, so those will be extra, unless you find a package/promotion. Not sure of the UK price at local stores, but the Roland TD-11ks is a nice solid kit. Here's a pretty good deal in the UK for a kit with throne, sticks, kick pedal, and headphones!:

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/roland-td-11k-v-drums-electronic-drum-kit

Also, very important, the kit, being electric, will only sound as good as the headphones you are wearing. The ones in the package are not going to be that good, I assume. I would recommend Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones, for something good that won't break the bank. Got mine for $120 U.S. pricing even though I'm in Canada. The throne is not as critical or course. The kick drum pedal could be a factor to consider, but best to let your husband get the feel of e-drums from this or another kit, and then, if he's serious, he can upgrade based on his needs/preferences as he gets into it. Everything, including pads, is upgradeable; he can just keep the 'brain' (module) and switch pads over, even getting second-hand.

Thank you so much for your advice, DrumEatDrum and gradier. I was literally clueless, just looking at pictures of the kits and seeing which ones have most things to hit, so your help is much appreciated!

I can't quite afford the Roland TD-11K, so I've just ordered what I think is the next one down, TD-4KP (which gets bonus points for being able to pack it away easily so we can still use the room for guests!). If my husband likes it and actually uses it, we can then look at upgrading bits and pieces (thanks for the suggestion, I looked into that and looks like it'll be a good option) later on.

I have two last questions, if you don't mind. For an electronic drum kit, do you just use ordinary wooden drumsticks (we already have some of these), or are there different ones you should use? And also the kick pedal, I know this isn't included - if I just search for 'kick pedal' is anything that comes up going to be appropriate (of course I expect there will be a wide variety of qualities and prices), or do certain pedals only fit certain kits?

Thank you :)

I have two last questions, if you don't mind. For an electronic drum kit, do you just use ordinary wooden drumsticks (we already have some of these), or are there different ones you should use? And also the kick pedal, I know this isn't included - if I just search for 'kick pedal' is anything that comes up going to be appropriate (of course I expect there will be a wide variety of qualities and prices), or do certain pedals only fit certain kits? :)

Yes any sticks or pedal will do the job (just keep in mind that he sticks don't have to be massive though- should be smaller and lighter than those used for an a-kit.

Thank you so much for your advice, DrumEatDrum and gradier. I was literally clueless, just looking at pictures of the kits and seeing which ones have most things to hit, so your help is much appreciated!

I can't quite afford the Roland TD-11K, so I've just ordered what I think is the next one down, TD-4KP (which gets bonus points for being able to pack it away easily so we can still use the room for guests!). If my husband likes it and actually uses it, we can then look at upgrading bits and pieces (thanks for the suggestion, I looked into that and looks like it'll be a good option) later on.

I have two last questions, if you don't mind. For an electronic drum kit, do you just use ordinary wooden drumsticks (we already have some of these), or are there different ones you should use? And also the kick pedal, I know this isn't included - if I just search for 'kick pedal' is anything that comes up going to be appropriate (of course I expect there will be a wide variety of qualities and prices), or do certain pedals only fit certain kits?

Thank you :)

Any stick and pedal used for a regular kit works on an e-kit. No difference.

Ideally, you should use lighter sticks with nylon tips, not wooden tips, because the pads shouldn't be treated too roughly. You can use pretty much any pedal,.

-- Reggae Mangle

Back