which bass head is better? aquarian/evans

They should have mentioned this in the presidential debate.

The EMAD is more extreme, to say the least. It completely transforms your bass drum, giving it a deep round thud with a nice slap. You may or may not like it. The SKII does the same sort of job, but sounds less extreme and more traditional.

If you have a less than decent kit, an EMAD will probably do you good. If your kit is a great one, you might want the SKII or something like an EQ3.

They should have mentioned this in the presidential debate.

The EMAD is more extreme, to say the least. It completely transforms your bass drum, giving it a deep round thud with a nice slap. You may or may not like it. The SKII does the same sort of job, but sounds less extreme and more traditional.

If you have a less than decent kit, an EMAD will probably do you good. If your kit is a great one, you might want the SKII or something like an EQ3.

I have a good kit. SONOR delite. It came w/ the EMAD, but i have an aquarian sk II on my other kit. I was wondering if I should switch them.

evans emad vs. aquarian sk II?

I just bought the EMAD2...it's great. I have a PDP platinum series kit, and it sounds great on it. It does indeed give you a good "thud" sound, without killing ALL of the overtones, if you tune right. You really don't need much muffling inside the drum, if any at all.

I have a good kit. SONOR delite. It came w/ the EMAD, but i have an aquarian sk II on my other kit. I was wondering if I should switch them.

If you like the extreme, heavy metal sound, keep the EMAD, but I think you'll like the SKII or an EQ3 better on your Delites.

Hi !

Hey, just for fun, with a drum that good, why no try
something with a fuller sound ?? Mybe try an Evans
EQ4 or Remo Powerstroke 3...

I don't know what style of music you do but if like
me you like classic rock sound... give it a try...

I have try both EMAD (1 ply & 2 plys) and both
sounds good but a bit dead compared to "normal" heads...

Philippe

Hey, if you've got the heads, just try it. My new kit came with a old EMAD on it... and I absolutely detested it. I swapped it out with the EQ3 that I pulled off of my old kit to prepare it for Craigslist, and that's FAR better, IMHO.

Before i say anything, I'll say that I really like a more "boomy" sound that a cardboard "thud" sound.

That said, i have a superkick I on my 22" bass, and with some muffling, it sounds extraordinary, exactly the sound i want.

I blew out my SK-II last week and replaced it yesterday with an EMAD 2 (because that's what they had in stock at GC.) So I've heard them both back-to-back on my 22" birch kick.

To my ear - and my bandmates seemed to agree - the SK-II sounded deeper and more resonant. More "massive." The EMAD-2 works well and provides plenty of thump, and I like it, but it seems a bit more focused and defined. I may need some more time with it to experiment and develop a clearer opinion - and it may need to break in - but the EMAD-2 does not seem quite as loud and boomy as the SK-II. Still, a great choice for the hard rock that we play.

Also, I put a Remo patch on the EMAD, whereas I didn't have any patch on the SK-II. This may have something to do with the tonal difference.

Also, I put a Remo patch on the EMAD, whereas I didn't have any patch on the SK-II. This may have something to do with the tonal difference.

In my experience, a patch increases the click of beater hitting head... I tried one with my old 20" bass drum, and it sounded terrible! :)

^^ The Evans patch has very little impact on the sound.

To the OP, if you ever play out unmiked, avoid the SKII. It is 2-ply, very heavily muffled, and far too soft for that application, and the EMAD (1-ply) and SKI would serve you better.

Back