New Zildjian Stuff

Interesting. I got my 22" Medium Ride about a year and a half ago and knew that it was much lighter than the one I had before and lighter than anything I'd heard that wasn't vintage, and even suspected that maybe Zildjian finally fired their lazy lathe operator for not putting enough ass into it. Now we know!

I'm hopeful that they can fix what's been ailing the rest of the A series with this approach. Those things have been nasty for too long (except the New Beats - I hope they don't hose those up!). It's amazing what a difference there is between an A Thin Crash and an A Custom Crash. Hopefully they can close that gap a little bit.

I predict that the 23" Sweet Ride is going to be a smash hit.

Updated logo ? What does that mean ?? Last week I was at my local music store, where the guy who runs the drum dep't is really knowledgable about cymbals, and used to work for Zildjian. He mentioned that Zildjian is dialing the A line back to the weights of yore. I have an old and newer pair of New Beats, and the newer ones are defintely heavier and sharper sounding, but I still use them happily.

I've always preferred "A" Zildjians also my 20" med-thin is absolutely adorable..lol

cant wait to hear the revised thin crashes & the 23" sweet ride.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

The dull, clangy, crappy sound the A series had starting around 2000 is what made me switch from them.
I couldn't get a decent sounding 20" crash at all! They sent 6 or 8 20" Medium Thin cymbals before I said forget it, and went with another brand. It got worse with what was sent to the shop after that too.

Actually, the only really good sounding A series cymbals I had heard between '00 and '08 were Steve Riley's (LA Guns) 19's and 20's. THOSE sound like what A's are supposed to sound like. Of course, he gets to pick them at the factory...

Maybe it's turning a big page back to the nice, shimmery, smooth sound again. The cymbals in the video sure sounded nice.

If people have recently been getting A's that sound like this video, then they've gone back to the previous weight and profiles. That's cool, I've waited 13 years for it to happen. Now all they have to do is bring back the freakin' Swish model.

The 23" Sweet Ride is VERY appealing to me, and the 20" Medium Thin too....even though I just got a crapload of Paiste's...

Hey - watch it there buddy - LOL. I got an A Classic pack not too long ago, and like every cymbal in there.
hehe - yeah, but you got the paper thins, so there you go! I should say that not all of them sound nasty to me, I just have to look longer to find the ones I like is all. Also, I'm mostly referring to the crashes. For some reason they're the ones I've been having the most trouble liking in recent years (but nothing an A Custom or K can't address).

I'm pretty excited about checking out the larger thinner crashes - especially that 20" Thin and Medium Thin. I wonder what's going to become of the Armands. I haven't seen many of those around lately. Hmmm.

"Nothing an A Custom wouldn't address"....

Yeah, in '00-'01, that's what I got from the Zildjian reps when they would come to the shop!
I'd say "Why can't I...?", then I'd get, "well, we have the A Custom "__" and it'll blahblahblah..."
Well, if I WANTED an A Custom, I'd buy one, but I wanted the style and sound I always got before they changed to a heavier weight. I also DIDN'T want Brilliant cymbals.

The discontinuing of the 20" Swish/whole Swish model--right when I was going to buy a new one REALLY bummed me out.
I was thinking, "Thanks Craiggie for screwing up the company" for a long time.
I had a couple polite, but pretty frank discussions with a couple Zildjian reps to let my displeasure with what was happening known, so SOMEONE would hear. I knew I wasn't the only one feeling the way I did.

Zildjian must have gotten A LOT of requests, or enough people were leaving/not buying to make this kind of move.

I'm glad they did, and with this change I'm probably back in the "I'll likely be buying...", instead of the "I'll never buy one of their cymbals again" column--after I hear some of these new one's of course.

Glad to see the thinner cymbals again. I've been screaming about this for years.

Attachments

• thinner.JPG
    thinner.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,540
Can't say that I like the new A logo on there. It looks too much like A Custom. I wish they would just go back to the block lettering with "Zildjian" written on there. Yes, I'm that shallow ...

All the moderne thin A series crashes I've tryed in the last few years have felt more like a medium weight. I'm hoping that the new thin, will actually feel like thin.

The dull, clangy, crappy sound the A series had starting around 2000 is what made me switch from them.
I couldn't get a decent sounding 20" crash at all! They sent 6 or 8 20" Medium Thin cymbals before I said forget it, and went with another brand. It got worse with what was sent to the shop after that too.

Actually, the only really good sounding A series cymbals I had heard between '00 and '08 were Steve Riley's (LA Guns) 19's and 20's. THOSE sound like what A's are supposed to sound like. Of course, he gets to pick them at the factory...

Maybe it's turning a big page back to the nice, shimmery, smooth sound again. The cymbals in the video sure sounded nice.

If people have recently been getting A's that sound like this video, then they've gone back to the previous weight and profiles. That's cool, I've waited 13 years for it to happen. Now all they have to do is bring back the freakin' Swish model.

The 23" Sweet Ride is VERY appealing to me, and the 20" Medium Thin too....even though I just got a crapload of Paiste's...
That's funny you said newer A's the 20" med-thin I was referring too was a 80's "A" hopefully now that they're redefining the series there won't. be such a sound difference between the same cymbal which has been haunting Zildjian for years IMO.

Bonzolead

I have to wonder if music stores will put the older A's on sale so they can stock the new ones.

FINALLY !!!!!

I've been complaining about the weight of the A. Zildjian line for years. The Zildjian reps told me that they increased the weight to appeal to the hard hitters. My question was always, "What about the thousands of us who desire the classic Zildjian sound - the sound that made Zildjian the company that it is?" SURPRISE - I NEVER RECEIVED AN ANSWER. YES, YES, YES - SOMETHING THAT MAKES SENSE !!!!

Ohhhhhhh - a 23" Sweet Ride !! Here goes more money !!

Last edited:
"Nothing an A Custom wouldn't address"....

Yeah, in '00-'01, that's what I got from the Zildjian reps when they would come to the shop!
I'd say "Why can't I...?", then I'd get, "well, we have the A Custom "__" and it'll blahblahblah..."
Well, if I WANTED an A Custom, I'd buy one, but I wanted the style and sound I always got before they changed to a heavier weight. I also DIDN'T want Brilliant cymbals.

The discontinuing of the 20" Swish/whole Swish model--right when I was going to buy a new one REALLY bummed me out.
I was thinking, "Thanks Craiggie for screwing up the company" for a long time.
I had a couple polite, but pretty frank discussions with a couple Zildjian reps to let my displeasure with what was happening known, so SOMEONE would hear. I knew I wasn't the only one feeling the way I did.

Zildjian must have gotten A LOT of requests, or enough people were leaving/not buying to make this kind of move.

I'm glad they did, and with this change I'm probably back in the "I'll likely be buying...", instead of the "I'll never buy one of their cymbals again" column--after I hear some of these new one's of course.

Did I miss something? I thought they just redesigned the Swish Knocker? Or are you referring to the fact that they used to have other types of swishes, pangs, etc.?

Saw them today.

Yes, thinner.

Seem nice.
You sound: enthusiastic.

C'mon, man, give us a review! It don't do nobody no good to have you down there on the front lines checkin it all out to only be posting that. Give us some gossipy goodness worthy of the sleaziest tabloids! Get paparazzi on them pies, Ian! Give us some DIRT!

Back