FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

I like both a lot.

But there's this special thing I feel when I play the drums that videogames cannot recreate. Maybe it's the joy of making music. So I would have to pick the drums.

Why not some of both. Gaming will help your hand-eye coordination which will transfer to the drums. Most games have music which will reinforce your ear and timing. I see it as a win win. Besides I get tired of Pong after a while. Back and forth, back and forth....
I feel like thats a stretch, saying the music involved in a video game helps your ear and your time just is going a bit too far for me. Working with a metronome and transcribing are what solve both of those issues, not Halo 3.

Both.

My 360 got smashed by a drumming buddy's drunk [now ex] girlfriend. I still await a replacement (oh well, the summer season is slow for games).

I'm hardcore hardcore - like everything else I do. Been playing since I was 3 or 4, on the Atari 2600, then 7800 - then NES(!), SNES, N64, Cube, XBox, 360, with computer gaming back when I didn't need a super computer to enjoy it (one of the most fun things for me when I was younger was calling up my older brother's buddy's modem and linking up for some Duke Nuke'Em 3D. Also Doom and Doom II. We had over 600 games for the Ataris and Nintendos (two brothers, and we all gamed all the time - AND played 3-4 sports each, AND got all As in school, so Phooey! to anti-gamers)

When I fell out of the nest, I started buying my own stuff all the time - I've probably had about 60 or so 360 games. One of my good friends is a big man on campus over at Capcom (The last boss of the game he was helping with is named after him - there's your hint!) and he sends me down games and arcade sticks - not just Capcom stuff too - oh boy!

But I just got done practicing the drums for about 4 hours...and no system to play right now (drunk girls...) So I'm gonna log in some more time on the *thing I spent the most time on* - And that's DRUMS.

I pulled out my Ferrari - aka my Yamaha 4 piece with the "jazz" sizes. After playing my thuddy rock drums for 4 months straight (or so) I'm flyin' around these little guys. Oh happy days.

Games I'm waiting for (this post is all over the place) are Mass Effect 2, Lost Planet 2 (most fun I had playing at E3!), umm....eh, I can't concentrate, I've got the new Muse album blaring over the PA...

I'll get into "why graphics are important" in the "are games art" debate that MFB was starting to touch on (Braid is great) at some point...

Drums.. I've wasted so much of my life on gaming so now i keep it too a minimum.

Has anyone seen that game Wii Music? I was offended as a musician at the trailer for it.

Ahaa that advert must be most misleading thing for kids to get into music/playing, its crap!

I used to be a video game addict, i would play for hours a day, so much that my grades started dropping. Fortunately, one of the games a friend showed me was the first guitar hero game for ps2 which turned me on to rock music. A few days later i was at the same friends house and i decided to try out the drums on his e-kit. I play a video game maybe once a month now and i couldnt be happier. Drumming rules!

Well because of my whacked out work schedule I have been playing games more lately since playing the drums during early morning hours would be impossible. But a stellar performance in games cant even come close to when I'm slaying it on the drums lol.

Back