Travis Barker

I just wanted to say something!!! You're right if you are saying Travis isn't the best drummer in the world and noone ever said that including Travis hisself. But if you look at most of the other Punk/Rock/Pop whatever drummer you'll see that he is pretty much the best. Maybe there are a few who have the same skills like he, but if they have they don't show it in the songs. If you comapare a Blink 182 song and anyother well known song you'll notice that he has the great abilityto put difficult stuff in the song. He doesn't just plays the same easy s*** everybody does. The one thing is being a good drummer and to have skills but the other thing is to use these skills in the songs and that's the thing that makes him so good.
And the other point that he doesn't deserves all he reaches is not right, too he is just a lucky guy who was at the right time at the right place and that's it. And why should he improve his skills they are fu***** awesome!!! He has everything he wants why should he imporve his style!!! His Motto is: ,,Life fast die fun" and that's how his life looks to me!!!

(I'm 16 and from Germany so there might be some mistakes)

Look at Phil Rudd, he's a great drummer and never played anything too complicated. I think Travis is overrated because way too many non-drummers see him and think speed is the only factor that makes a drummer good. He is good, but not great.

Mageninhalt said:
why should he improve his skills they are fu***** awesome!!! He has everything he wants why should he imporve his style!!!
sure travis has skill at the drums, but you should ALWAYS improve.
let us turn to angus young, the ac/dc guitarist. a legend in the guitar world and he says he STILL learns guitar and reads books and practices new techniques.

so sure travis is great, but what if he was better?

what would be if he would be better?
I think it wouldn't change anyything! Maybe his drummsolos would be better but thats nothing what a good drumm has to be good in. He already does the maximum you can do in punk-pop song and I think he is the best who combines speed and skills. And if you look at songs like Anthem Part 2 or Here's a letter for you or most of the songs at the last Blink 182 Album you see hoe great he his. And one more different is that he is able to record the whole drum parts just in 2 oder 3 days like he did at Enema of the State and Take off your Pants and Jackets. And there're videos from the recording of the last Blink Album where you can see that he plays a song just by trying different stuff and putting it togehther, and it sounds f****** awesome!!!

yeah, but even if it won't change the music he plays in punk bands, improving his skill at the drumkit could open up other oportunities for him. i'm sure he does try to improve.
you should always strive to improve. even if i could play every solo on this site i would strive to improve.

i admit it, i use to be one of those "traivs is god!" guys. my music taste broadend, i started to listen to zeppelin, tool, and dreamtheater. I remember being able to play every blink song including all that new stuff(i probley still can, i think its stuck in my head for eternity), and saying "now what". i remember trying to play anemia or schism for the first time and yelling at my drumset. then i realized how good travis barker really is.

like people said before he was deemed a "god" because his band was so popualr, but im not going to just bag on travis and his lack of skill. I liked his earlier stuff. when you listen to tere really early stuff when they had that other drummer scott, it was really bad, but then when they switched to travis you could notice the music had changed for the better. enema of the state and the mark tom and travis show, i think were good. its not like watching a boot leg vid of danny careys 7/8 solo in 46&2, but the drumming fit just like danny careys solo. the pants and jacket album was good. you should go find the stay together for the kids preformance on jay leno. i thought it was really good. its not like woooow but, he put all the fills in the right spots. and also the box car racer album. if you havnt heard it you shuld take a listen. he puts the right fills in the right spots in every song.

this new travis from the new self titled album was terrible. he just corrupted now. ive seen the vids on the blink site. the ego has gone to his head. he makes fun of tom and mark, and you can tell he loves himself and thinks hes god. His drumming has definley has been hurt because of that. and have you seen how much he moves his body. he could be doing a simple snare on 2 and 4 beat and still be boobing his head like he was trying to head butt his drums. and i think thats why blink broke up, beacuse travis's fame went to his head and there chemistry didnt work out anymore wtih the band.

well anyways, ive wanted to get that off my chest for a while so there it is. im completley over travis and i dont see myself being interested in any of his stuff that will come out in the future.

there're a few thing I agree and a few thinks i don't.
First i think the old drummer scott was terrible, too. He was just playing the same, easy, boring beat. When Travis came into the band many things changend, I think think he took blink to a new level and they would have been that famous without him.
But I don't agree with the point that the last album(the drum parts) were bad. I think they were better than the last things he did and it was pretty much the best i have ever heard on a Punk cd. If you try to play it, i do, you'll see it's really difficult.
The point that he's bumping his heat that hard....mhm of course it is a lot of show but i think i looks really cool and passionate and you see that he put all his energie in the drums and maybe when he started he already bumped his head a bit and it became more and more...so.

But u think he deserves the fame because he was always since he was in blink like the third unfunny guy who can play the drumms really good, and the people recognized him and said oh he's cool and i think that just his time now!!!

But I don't think he is the reason for the Blink "hiatus". I really think it Tom because he changed so lot and became so serious, if you look at Box Car Racer and the last blink album and the new Angels and Airwaves album i think there was no place for the serious things in Blink cause blink was always funny and that would be to strange.

like i said in my previous post. i can play all that new stuff. there decent but thats all the credit im going to give it. its not that hard at all. i never did like scott. he was just to boring listen to d***lips on there old album verses the part travis did on mark tom and travis show.

i forgot to put in my whole point about him head butting his drums. its now just a image thing? can you see it. I saw the preformance of him playing "i miss you" on pepsi smash. hes moving way to much. its beyound going with the rrhytem or a little showsmanship, its just getting ridiculous now. look at his new solo that was on his show. hes bouncing on the seat when all hes doing is 16th notes over the toms. hes all about image now, you cant see that? hes playing for all those rapers trying to put out a hardcore punker image. look at him during the days of take off your pants and jacket. he was mellow. he just had a skater kind of style to him, he was obviously the beter musician of the 3 but he had his head on.

i remember watching a video on blinks site where Tom is playing some gutair riff he made up. and the camera goes to travis and he says " thats jus ok, its medioker" making fun of his long time band mate. and i remember there was a video of him playing drums to some song. at the end the camera guy was like "wow thats great" and travis responded " yeah im just warming up, i was just flowing"

thats just some of the examples. and Tom being serious? i saw all those vdis. hes just as perverted and funny as before.(not that its a bad thing, hes a funny guy) the band wanted to put out a more serious album, probley matured a little bit by age, but i dont think they broke up becasue mark and tom lost there sense of humor. im 99% its becaue of travis's big head

sure they didn't lost their humour but they became more serious on the songs, and maybe tom coulnd't express what he is now expressing in AVA.

But I remember an other video where the three playing a song, one of those videos while they were recording the self-titled album, where tom said to travis: i don't like part it really sucks and then he tried something new and it was still not ok and treid again and three thought it was good and travis said f*** that really sound much better.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
i remember watching a video on blinks site where Tom is playing some gutair riff he made up. and the camera goes to travis and he says " thats jus ok, its medioker" making fun of his long time band mate. and i remember there was a video of him playing drums to some song. at the end the camera guy was like "wow thats great" and travis responded " yeah im just warming up, i was just flowing"

[/QUOTE]

Be careful what you say. Sorry you are wrong. The video where Tom is playing a riff and Travis says "that's okay...," he was kidding of course. The video where Travis is freestyling while Mark is playing bass, Travis does not say he was "warming up." He said, "I was just freestyling because we never played that song before, that was me speaking to my drums.' It's people like you who exaggerate videos/stories like these and stretch them to be false. Before you write something like that, make sure you know blink-182 well.

As for Tom and his new band, it's very catchy, cool- whatever. I just read an article where he says he hasn't talked to Mark or Travis in over SEVERAL months. What kind of a friend is that? And I am so tired of Tom making a global announcement of how Angels and Airwaves is going to revolutionize rock.....the new cd is good and all.. but it sounds like he just listened to U2 all day.(which he said he pretty much did) ..then made a record...

Mageninhalt said:
Maybe i have seen an other video, i don't know. But if it's not true what I said...then sorry!!!

no hard feelings at all man... Travis is just a very humble guy,, he justt plays drums.. his passion... he doesn't diss on other peoples talents/abilities

this is directed to Zildjian232:

firstly i think you are making claims that one, you cant prove or logically support, and two, you have no idea what Travis is thinking and or doing... your taking videos and and trying to claim that "hes bouncing in his seat" b/c hes goten big headed? hes always done that.. i really dont think that any one, me included, can make claims such as that.. you have no idea, and will not have any idea why Travis does the things he does unless he tells you himself.. but i can tell you this: that you sound like your out trying to rip travis a new one, you cant say Blink broke up cause of Travis... give logical evidence rather than your personal opinion... and what facts have you got that he has become big headed.... i mean every single video ive seen of him he was always talking about trying to improve and progress and just stay busy cause he loves different types of music and just playing... and he seemed humble.. and yes i am a fan of him but im not delusional and trying to claim hes the best/fastest or what ever you want to sterotype me with i just like his music.. im just geting rather tired of reading posts that say "TRAVIS ROXoX" and posts like "travis is the worst thing that stepped behind a kit, and hes a jerk".. i can understand you saying "im not into his music" or its "not my style" or hell "i think hes just mediocre or sucks" but to say hes goten bigheaded and is the cause of blink's breakup is just ludicris... sorry for the long post, but i think your way out of line with some of your statements, but i respect your opinion of his skill level, and that is not what im questioning.. just you have made some outrageously wrong claims...

this is a travis barker thread, where you post your opinion about him, and I posted a video, which includes travis barker, do you understand?...jerk

i really agree with what i think it was beat1212or something said. that travis lays beats which the other musicians then play along with. so if he did complex and individual drumming their style just wouldn't work

Back