Drummers Using 1 Crash

A

adamteasdale1407

Hey all,

Does anyone know of any drummers who just used one crash cymbal in their set up?
Thanks

Terry Bozzio

---------

Charlie Watts. Ringo Starr.

Levon Helm. Since the message has to be at least 20 characters, I repeat: Levon Helm.

I use 1 crash in my 2 cymbal set-up.

It's a 20" Sabian Vault Crash. The other cymbal is a 24" Giant Beat.

...this thread is probably in the wrong section.........

I do it often. The less things I have to hit, the more creative I am with what is there.

I assume you mean one crash after a ride and hi hats, right?

Nick Knox
96619684_f5498300d1.jpg

Jim White
Dirty-Three.jpg

Hilarie Sidney
apples%20in%20stereo%20live.jpg

John Stanier switched to one-cymbal-at-a-distance when he joined Battles
pitchfork2007_ban_battles4.jpg

And the late, brilliant Jerry Fuchs
3978012793_2dd4e7f00e_n.jpg

John Pamer from Tsunami used one crash. His setup was minimal, kind of neat, can't find a picture though. Lori Barbero from Babes in Toyland had one cymbal, period, usually broken. But there's probably about 10,000 drummers with jazz kits that do this; these are just the one's I've seen, who also have pictures on the web somewhere.

.[/QUOTE]

dude must have long arms no?
i like all those minimal looking kits.

It was actually pretty common around the days of Watts and Starr to use one crash.

Look up The Ventures playing wipeout. Their drummer just use a thin ride cymbal that he also crashed on.

It was actually pretty common around the days of Watts and Starr to use one crash.

Look up The Ventures playing wipeout. Their drummer just use a thin ride cymbal that he also crashed on.

The days of Watts and Starr? Ringo actually used 2 crashes during the last few years of the Beatles..Those guys are still on the planet,and are still playing.They have however expanded their kits to use more cymbals.

We forgot Wailin Smash.And Swexx..as much as I love Levon,he won't be playing anything anymore.:)

Steve B

dude must have long arms no?
i like all those minimal looking kits.[/QUOTE]

I just don't get that set up.That guy is just begging for back problems somewhere down the line.

Steve B

back then there was no distinction between a crash cymbal and a ride cymbal......just cymbals of different sizes

Mel Taylor was the drummer who pushed me over the edge to really go with one or two cymbals.
I saw Mel on a clip and he rocked the kit so much, and just that one cymbal. That was the point when I said it doesn't matter how much stuff I use.

Cindy Blackman with Lenny Kravitz only used 2 cymbals, and I really dug that set up a lot.
I finally got brave enough to actually do it!
Patrick Keeler runs only 2 cymbals with his Greenhornes band a lot too.

Cool pic of Nick Knox.

I just don't get that set up.That guy is just begging for back problems somewhere down the line.

Steve B

I can't say for sure, but I'm betting his bandmates forced him to do that, because ART. The point being that he wouldn't use it unless he absolutely 100% had to. But again can't say for sure. When he was with Helmet his setup was more traditional.

Back