Drummer's kryptonite?

LSD: Lead Singer's Disease

But seriously, I think ego in general (from any bandmember) can kill any band.

Funny how a lot of posts are about blaming other musicians.
Well, the question is 'kryptonite'. Superman couldn't carry it around himself now, could he ;-)

had to be exposed to it. and I'll go with 'open bar', for those who have trouble drinking responsibly on a gig.

Sour notes suck from singers, guitarists and bassists but you can still be superman through all of that, right? That being said, my lead guitarist's lack of timing is my kryptonite. Nothing will kill my groove and collapse my pocket faster than him when he veers off tempo (9 times out of ten he's flying off too fast). All of a sudden, he'll be like a half bar ahead of the band and it becomes a task to try to bring everyone back into sync. I can handle off notes, no sweat but an off-time guitar lick jacknifes the groove.

On a side note, Superman Returns was a box office disaster, mainly because he turned into super-pansy-man and for God sake we're sick of seeing Lex Luther bust out the kryptonite every stinkin' movie, new villain please.

Im going to say my kryptonite would be......

lousy musicians...

terrible drum tone....

not having my vic firth phones.....(yes use muffling headphones)

and lastly, having either too heavy sticks, or to light sticks...

Sour notes suck from singers, guitarists and bassists but you can still be superman through all of that, right? That being said, my lead guitarist's lack of timing is my kryptonite. Nothing will kill my groove and collapse my pocket faster than him when he veers off tempo (9 times out of ten he's flying off too fast). All of a sudden, he'll be like a half bar ahead of the band and it becomes a task to try to bring everyone back into sync. I can handle off notes, no sweat but an off-time guitar lick jacknifes the groove.

On a side note, Superman Returns was a box office disaster, mainly because he turned into super-pansy-man and for God sake we're sick of seeing Lex Luther bust out the kryptonite every stinkin' movie, new villain please.

This brings up a point I've thought about a few times... why are drummers the only ones that have to practice with a metronome??? I had a guitarist tell me once that my quartz metronome was wrong after he kept pulling ahead of the beat...

Kryptonite? How about rehearsals that turn into drama-soaked therapy sesions?

I'll also add that playing some other dude's kit the other night took away from my superman routine. I'm very meticulous with my setup but this "house kit" i played on sucked so bad. The toms that were bass drum mounted were absolutely huge power toms that were impossible to negotiate a good tom angle with.

This brings up a point I've thought about a few times... why are drummers the only ones that have to practice with a metronome??? I had a guitarist tell me once that my quartz metronome was wrong after he kept pulling ahead of the beat...

Kryptonite? How about rehearsals that turn into drama-soaked therapy sesions?

Dude, excellent point, the other night at band practice my lead guitarist was speeding up through a bridge in our song, a part where i only play a cymbal swell roll. He came out of it way too fast and then threw the whole song off when we all jumped back in. My bassist/ lead vocalist turned around and looked right at me and said we were playing too fast and i was like "dude! i wasn't even playing in that part! Don't fricken accuse ME of being off time in a part where I wasn't even playing!" I take it very personally when a dispute over timing is aimed at me.

a stupid conductor or band member who tells you to play something that just sounds bad, then yells at you for playing it exactly how he/she says to.

I have a funny story about that. I was playing in a summer community band several years ago when I was in college. The band performed on an outdoor band shell. We had two directors- one was the high school orchestra director, and the other was high school band (I didn't go to high school there, so I wasn't a student of either). The band director was always fairly short with people so I didn't care for him much.

Well, the last time I ever played for him, we had an interesting march to play for the concert finale. Another high school drummer had come for the rehearsal but had blown off the performance, so I had to sit in on the part. It was a traditional march, but for some reason, instead of bass drum on 1, 3 and snare on 2, 4 (boom chick), it was reversed (chick boom). No problem to me, I'm a senior music major and can read it.

So I start playing, "Chick Boom", and the director immediately looks over at me with frustration on his face and tries to give me a bigger beat. I'm staring right at him and keep the snare coming on 1 and the bass on 2. I'm not sure if he just didn't bother looking at his own chart or what (I'm pretty sure the kid at rehearsal ignored the music and played "boom chick"), but he now starts slowing down and speeding up his tempo in an attempt to get me to turn around my pattern. Like a good musician, of course, I follow his fluctuations, and he's getting angrier and angrier.

After about 64 measures of this cut time battle, the song ends, and after the bows, I'm the first to grab the music and head up front to let him know I was not being disrespectful (and also for a bit of my own ego- I know I wasn't wrong). He listens for about three seconds and then turns away, still furious with me. I head back to start tearing down my gear.

Here's where it gets good. Domed band shell, remember? I'm sitting on one side of the shell, tearing down percussion equipment, and the director was wandered to the opposite side of the shell to talk to a band member. Thanks to the dome, although they are standing more than 30 feet away, I can hear their quiet conversation as if they're standing right next to me. Now I'm hearing the conductor call ME stupid and claim that I ruined the song. Ooooh, now I'm steamed.

I wait for about five minutes and walk up to the director, who has calmed down significantly. I start by saying, "You know, this dome is really cool; you can hear things from the other side of it as if they are right next to you!" He starts rambling about the science of that, but I interrupt, "My point is, if you're going to speak badly of someone, you should make sure you're somewhere that you can't be heard!" I handed him my folder, with the last march music on top, and left.

For the rest of the season, I only played for the orchestra director, and never played for them again after that.

I can't stand it when other musicians can't keep proper time.

I have a funny story about that. I was playing in a summer community band several years ago when I was in college. The band performed on an outdoor band shell. We had two directors- one was the high school orchestra director, and the other was high school band (I didn't go to high school there, so I wasn't a student of either). The band director was always fairly short with people so I didn't care for him much.

Well, the last time I ever played for him, we had an interesting march to play for the concert finale. Another high school drummer had come for the rehearsal but had blown off the performance, so I had to sit in on the part. It was a traditional march, but for some reason, instead of bass drum on 1, 3 and snare on 2, 4 (boom chick), it was reversed (chick boom). No problem to me, I'm a senior music major and can read it.

So I start playing, "Chick Boom", and the director immediately looks over at me with frustration on his face and tries to give me a bigger beat. I'm staring right at him and keep the snare coming on 1 and the bass on 2. I'm not sure if he just didn't bother looking at his own chart or what (I'm pretty sure the kid at rehearsal ignored the music and played "boom chick"), but he now starts slowing down and speeding up his tempo in an attempt to get me to turn around my pattern. Like a good musician, of course, I follow his fluctuations, and he's getting angrier and angrier.

After about 64 measures of this cut time battle, the song ends, and after the bows, I'm the first to grab the music and head up front to let him know I was not being disrespectful (and also for a bit of my own ego- I know I wasn't wrong). He listens for about three seconds and then turns away, still furious with me. I head back to start tearing down my gear.

Here's where it gets good. Domed band shell, remember? I'm sitting on one side of the shell, tearing down percussion equipment, and the director was wandered to the opposite side of the shell to talk to a band member. Thanks to the dome, although they are standing more than 30 feet away, I can hear their quiet conversation as if they're standing right next to me. Now I'm hearing the conductor call ME stupid and claim that I ruined the song. Ooooh, now I'm steamed.

I wait for about five minutes and walk up to the director, who has calmed down significantly. I start by saying, "You know, this dome is really cool; you can hear things from the other side of it as if they are right next to you!" He starts rambling about the science of that, but I interrupt, "My point is, if you're going to speak badly of someone, you should make sure you're somewhere that you can't be heard!" I handed him my folder, with the last march music on top, and left.

For the rest of the season, I only played for the orchestra director, and never played for them again after that.

Wow, that is one interesting story and that guy really needs some anger management. I don't know about you but I would've clocked that guy right in the face (if there weren't any consequences).

My Kriptonyte is bad monitoring, I get incredibly nervous when I can't hear my the other players.
Also, as someone said, one can accentuate his own bad stuff if he isn't confident, out of nervousness, after any gig I'll end up with my hands and fingers all cramped and soar (more than necessary) because I'm gripping the sticks too damn hard.

Banzai

Many many things

When you're playing drums, having a good time, grooving or working on a beat
and then a band mamber/college classmate w/e comes over and starts hitting the
cymbals with a stick acquired from a nearby individual. My god man. Just No.

Musicians who don't understand that louder is NOT better. Like turning up to 15 suddenly
turns shit tunes into timeless classics. While every other band member is struggling to hear their part.

ego

and finally
24" kick drums. If my Toms are higher than my head i'm not happy.

oh actually...
the drummer from battles.
What are you trying to prove with your satellite crash cymbal.
Ridiculous.

Back