Hi Hat Height

llosnd

Hi guys, this is my first post ever :p

Basically I want my hi hat stand to be higher than it is :p it's a cheap Mapex starter stand that came with my first kit. Atm its an inch-ish below my belly button when i'm stood up (I'm 5' 10").

I want to add about another 5 inches to the upper tube and about 10 inches to the pull rod so i can put a tambourine onto it - kinda like Dave Grohl, I know he had his Sonor stand made for him in Nirvana but I'd really like a similar height.

I'm sure i can get any old stainless steel tube from a DIY shop and use that as the upper tube, but what about the pull rod? I've seen the gibraltar pull rods but I have no idea if they are long enough or if they'd fit in my stand.

Any help or ideas would be awesome thanks alot :)
x

A quick search for hi-hat pull rod extensions resulted in nothing that would really work for you, the only real solution I could think of outside of that is buying a remote cabled hi-hat and simply putting the hi-hat part of it as high as you want. You might want to contact Gibraltar or the maker of your hi-hat stand directly and ask them what they recommend.

What i would do is get a small metal rod, one the same size as the hi hat pull rod, and try welding it on.
I doubt you have a welder handy, but its just a thought.

Does a commercially available hi-hat exist that already goes as high as you need? Maybe it's time for a new one. Then it would be designed for what you want and would last for years.

Does a commercially available hi-hat exist that already goes as high as you need? Maybe it's time for a new one. Then it would be designed for what you want and would last for years.

Yeah, I was lookin at the Iron Cobra stands, to match my pedal, but I have no idea what the top playing height is and they're quite pricey :p

A "standard" Gibraltar pull rod is 24" long. Unless you've been playing with Jr. sized hardware, I don't know if that will give the height you want.

If you're game, take your existing stand apart and see how it all goes together....if you can find suitable tubing to extend the stand, you should be able to source a length of rod that could then be threaded for attachment.

A two-leg Iron cobra stand recently went for 75 bucks on Craigslist locally....I don't know what your options are for used gear....but that is always a good choice.

A "standard" Gibraltar pull rod is 24" long. Unless you've been playing with Jr. sized hardware, I don't know if that will give the height you want.

If you're game, take your existing stand apart and see how it all goes together....if you can find suitable tubing to extend the stand, you should be able to source a length of rod that could then be threaded for attachment.

A two-leg Iron cobra stand recently went for 75 bucks on Craigslist locally....I don't know what your options are for used gear....but that is always a good choice.

I think I'm set on an IC, from what I've found out they're about 46" and that'd be perfect, so i think I'm gonna be scouring eBay or see if i get enough money for christmas to buy a new one :p

I use a tama roadpro stand with a ring on top of it.........ching ring? I don't know what it's called Lol. Anyways i'm six feet tall and i play with the hats at about shoulder level when i'm sitting down. I hope this helps you.

I use a tama roadpro stand with a ring on top of it.........ching ring? I don't know what it's called Lol. Anyways i'm six feet tall and i play with the hats at about shoulder level when i'm sitting down. I hope this helps you.

Cheers, if I can get a cheaper stand at the same height it'd be awesome, thanks :)

Back