Snare drum with wrinkles? Anyone do this?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I've never even HEARD of doing this.

Anyone ever use this method to tune a snare, either live or in the studio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_oZhyx1Lc

FYI: Sometimes this guy drops f-bombs like I enjoy potato chips.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

I've seen the detuning method where the bottom three lugs are detuned to reduce ring, but not to the point of wrinkling. I guess this is just the same method brought a bit further to completely eliminate ringing altogether. Another tool in the bag.

I've seen the detuning method where the bottom three lugs are detuned to reduce ring, but not to the point of wrinkling. I guess this is just the same method brought a bit further to completely eliminate ringing altogether. Another tool in the bag.

I'm going to try it just for kicks. It's "news to me" how he says "These lugs are meant to (fill in the blank)."

Do you think it would warp a rim or mess up the head?

For that kind of music, why is the sound of the snare important? It's just all very loud in-your-face. It's silly to spend any time worrying over tuning a snare playing that music. It ain't jazz. And, it's a video from "Spectremedia" with an automatic weapon in the logo. Kinda indicates the music you'll hear. Not my kinda music. They should just buy an acro with a muffler and then bang the bejeeziz outta it.

I like clang, but it has to be in tune with itself.

The feel of a drop tuned snare drum is horrible, but some people are not sensitive to this. Rebound feel is painfully altered.

I tried that method months ago when I first saw the other guy's video---it sounds and feels like hitting a cardboard box!

I like clang, but it has to be in tune with itself.

The feel of a drop tuned snare drum is horrible, but some people are not sensitive to this. Rebound feel is painfully altered.

I share your sentiments regarding drop-tuned snare drums. The rebound is terrible, and all you can do is dampen the heck out of it and be left with the dead sound that is popular for reasons that completely elude me.

Just goes to show that you can make any crap tuning sound pretty good if you hit the drum hard enough. It's like an extreme version of the old drop-lug tuning-- except die cast hoops are now standard, and they're more rigid than triple flanged hoops, so you have to detune more lugs. It's goofy and offensive, but I guess no more so than what others have done in the studio in the past.

After learning tuning perfection, when need be I now tune my dunnett brass snare to perfection then detune the two bottom lugs to jaw and add a moongel.

Sounds like the fattest snare ever to rock the earth, period.

Only ever got compliments.

Go figure.

If you don’t want clang, avoid steel drums. I refuse to put uneven stress on my drum shells, even for temporary periods. Pay too much for them. Better ways to get a cardboard sound if that is the goal.

Back