Re-wrapping / cutting down old Premier XPKs? (Andy are you there?!)

Mark_S

Silver Member
I'd like to re-invigorate my first proper drum set. It currently just sits in my garage.

One of my first thoughts is to wrap it, but I'm not sure of the correct procedure. Do I need to take the old wrap off first? I think the XPK is a wrap at least and not actual stained wood.. I do like the current rosewood finish, but it is a little bit damaged in places, and it might just freshen them up with a new wrap (maybe an exotic wood wrap would be nice).

One of my issues with the kit is the power tom sizes (10x9, 12x10, etc) coupled with a 22" bass drum. It makes the toms hard to position (for me), so I'm also wondering about converting them to standard sizes or (10x8 or even 10x7, etc). Is that a difficult / expensive job? Andy...? ;-)

It's just a thought at the moment.. I think they deserve better than to just sit there for the sake of my nostalgia.. I should use them.

Cheers!

As far as I know - XPK's have lacquered shells, while the cheaper APK's are wrapped. The shells are probably 3mm undersized, so there's room to wrap them if you wish.

Does your kit have the small single lugs? Or the long double ended lugs? The single lugs can be relocated, reducing the depth by 3-4 inches.
Or you could probably shave a half inch off each end, using shorter rods, to reduce the drums by up to one inch without moving the lugs.

If you're going to wrap them, you can cut them to any length, because the old holes will be covered by the wrap.

Thanks Morrisman,

Yes they are the small lugs, so that makes it easier. I half thought about putting a different style of lug on too, but the small ones actually aren't too bad.

I suspected they might be wrapped because you can see a seam where the grain effect doesn't match up.. but I guess that's just where the natural grain doesn't match up on the real wood..! Shame it's so obvious.

So it all seems possible... hmmmm...

If you want to do it then go ahead, but be aware that once you've wrapped (even just wrapping them will be approaching £200 and maybe more depending on what finish you want) and cut down the drums you'll have spent more on it than it's ever going to be worth.

Not a problem if you want to keep it for years, but it may be if not.

Unless you're skilled at working with wood and know what you're doing, you'll need someone to cut down and redrill the shells. Highwood Drums near Wakefield, and Gary Noonan both do this kind of work, but I suspect may comment on the value for money aspect of it. Just be careful with those lugs as well, they do sometimes break.

If the seam runs on a slight diagonal - that's the way the plies of wood have been cut. It means you have a lacquered XPK. If the lacquer is damaged it will take a lot of work to make it look new again. Light damage can be hidden by clear varnish though.

The lugs tend to snap where the mounting screws go in. It's usually only a problem on snare drums under high tension. Oil the screws to keep the threads from getting stressed.

Would you have any picture of the kit ? It's a fusion kit ?

If you want to do it then go ahead, but be aware that once you've wrapped (even just wrapping them will be approaching £200 and maybe more depending on what finish you want) and cut down the drums you'll have spent more on it than it's ever going to be worth.

Not a problem if you want to keep it for years, but it may be if not.

Unless you're skilled at working with wood and know what you're doing, you'll need someone to cut down and redrill the shells. Highwood Drums near Wakefield, and Gary Noonan both do this kind of work, but I suspect may comment on the value for money aspect of it. Just be careful with those lugs as well, they do sometimes break.

Yeah I know.. I keep it for nostalgic reasons, I just wonder about giving it a new lease of life. It's actually in pretty good condition as it is, but I'd prefer a lighter finish on it and standard toms (to work better with the 22" kick). Perhaps I'll set it up sometime and see how it feels, I haven't played it for years. Thanks for the additional info by the way!

If the seam runs on a slight diagonal - that's the way the plies of wood have been cut. It means you have a lacquered XPK. If the lacquer is damaged it will take a lot of work to make it look new again. Light damage can be hidden by clear varnish though.

The lugs tend to snap where the mounting screws go in. It's usually only a problem on snare drums under high tension. Oil the screws to keep the threads from getting stressed.

Yes they run diagonal.

Would you have any picture of the kit ? It's a fusion kit ?

I'll take a photo of them stacked up in the garage soon (yep it is fusion).

Last edited:
Former Rock kit APK/XPK were extra power tom typically 12x11 : 13x12. I would understand the cutting. On a more recent model (shallower toms), with fusion sizes ; I wonder if it worth it.

Thanks guys, I'll give it some thought.

I often play with just 1 rack tom these days so I could probably get the 10" lower anyway.

I'll perhaps post a photo soon.

Back