Sic Skinz Drum Wraps

RobertM

Platinum Member
Has anyone heard of or used Sic Skinz drum wraps (sicskinz.com)? Is the quality and durability good?

I am considering refinishing some Ludwig Classic Maple shells with a solid yellow or orange wrap finish, and Sic Skinz seems to be one of the very few drum parts shops that offers such solid color wraps.

I watched a demo via the Sic Skinz site on how to apply the wraps. One odd thing is, their wraps do not glue on all over the shell; you wrap them tightly around the shell, overlap one end of the sheet over the other, and peel away an adhesive strip that binds the wrap to itself. So, it sounds cool in that the actual wrap does not add extra glue contact to the shell, but I also wonder how secure the wrap is, given this approach. Plus, I wonder how the Ludwig staff would apply the wrap--that is, would they follow Sic Skinz's method, or would they ignore and apply the wrap like their own Ludwig wraps?

Of course, the easier solution to this dilemma is for Ludwig and other companies to start offering more lacquer or satin oil color options!! Who wants Charcoal or Dark Purple, Ludwig? Especially when both of those lacquer finishes are barely visible unless you have intense light! Give us orange, yellow, green, fuscia, etc.!!

My guess would be you'd have to put those products on yourself.
You might want to start with a "natural" finish as your base rather than a wrap.

Doesn't seem hard. I re-did several drums of mine in Sparkle Brite last year, and the hardest part (the PITA part) was the badges.

I will recommend getting LUDWIG gromets instead of the 'standard' offering drum supply companies have.

Precision drums sells them, and they are a couple bucks a piece, but are well worth it!

They go down nice and flat, unlike the regular ones.

I like the "shadow" finishes myself, but to each their own. The red one is pretty cool, but the Purple is cool, and Charcoal is classy.

If those finishes didn't sell, they would stop offering them.

Bobda & Gruntersdad:

There is a feature on the Sic Skinz site that lets you choose what size shells you have and tallies up the wrap in your shopping cart. For example, when I played with the feature, a kit in 14x18, 14x14, 8x12, and a strip to go round both bass drum hoops (a la what Ludwig does on their hoops) totaled to about $270.

When you select what kind of wrap you want (solid color, sparkle, crazy graphics, etc.), the site directs you to a page listing those color/wrap options. If you choose "solid colors," for example, the next site page lists what solid colors they have available. Click on the color you want (in this example, "blue"), and the next page that loads allows you to pick what size drum you need wrapped with the appropriate cost listed for that size drum:

https://www.sicskinz.com/install/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=dw_0196

Karl,

Yes, I agree: the Ludwig lacquer finishes are nice--I just wish they would offer something in a brighter color. I do admit that the Charcoal lacquer finish looks nice, particularly so when nice light shines on it, and the Cherrywood red and Purple shadow lacquers are nice too.

If I did get a bebop CM kit, it would be a hard call between Cherry lacquer, Purple Shadow, Piano Black lacquer, and Ruby Glitter lacquer. But the classic Green Sparkle, Gold Sparkle, and even Indigo Blue Sparkle wraps are quite nice.

Still, Tony and Elvin both played Canary Yellow lacquer kits! Therefore, every drum company should be required to offer yellow, darn it!!

Yeah he said his drum wrap is by them.
I wondered about them and Rocken Wraps.

I have only seen the SicSkinz once and I really wasn't paying attention.

I have worked with the rockenwraps and I would by all means stay away from them. The wrap was OK, but the image was blurry, could have been what the customer sent, but why print it if it looks like that? Also, The rockenwraps I have seen are dull looking. The colors don't seem to "jump" out at you like they should, especially on a custom wrap.

There is also a guy in Arkansas called Cazdude... http://www.cazdudedesigns.com/

I have done three different drum sets using Sic Skinz wraps. They were a snap to put on and I was happy with the quality. The imagery was clear and not foggy or blurry at all.

Also, in response to an earlier post; I agree, stay AWAY from Rockenwraps! They don't return calls and they come off arrogant and condescending... not good business. When I called Sic Skinz, they answered their phone immediately, and were extremely helpful. The guy I spoke to (who said he was the owner of the company) was friendly and did a great job of answering my questions.

That goes a long way with me... that is why I keep going back to them.

I've not tried cazdude, but from what I heard from a friend, it took forever to get his wraps, and they were not as good as what I have as far as thickness and print quality.

Just my two cents :)

Rock On,

RS.

Really, you guys like this stuff?

Just click on the finish, you'll get pricing info

Last edited:
"I" personally wouldn't have a custom graphic wrap, but I did re-do my Silver Sparkle kit with Sparkle Brite material. It was previously Black (and I had a million Black drums...).
It's pretty durable, and it's VERY sparkle-y. Under stage lights it's pretty cool. It was great for my purposes.

I have seen a Pearl kit with a burst wood grain "exotic" finish--probably along the same lines as the really good computer prints--and it was amazing I must say.

I didn't believe it was a wrap. I'm in Graphics, and can usually spot that stuff from a mile away, but the new printing machines that are available now, and the materials you can print on these days are pretty cool.

You start getting into 1200 (and up) dpi imaging and it's hard to tell from the "real thing" when they drum scan a nice wood veneer. The gloss of the material does the rest.
I wouldn't doubt that DW would offer such a thing in the future "for the drummer that want's an exotic look, but needs the durability of a wrap..."

There, I just started an ad campaign for them.

That'll be $10,000 please.

I did this kick drum with a wrap from a guy in texas who is no longer in business.. about to do a snare from the same print..

med_gallery_2_2_109725.jpg

Now THAT looks awesome. Great for a band using visuals as well as the music.
It's cool, but I'd want to change it after a while, but it looks like a great job.

Thanks Karl. I'd love to finish out a kit with the wrap. Maybe someday. I agree, I wouldn't want it forever, so for now the snare will have to do. I'm making something opposite of everything I own. 6-ply Keller with re-rings..

Thanks Karl. I'd love to finish out a kit with the wrap. Maybe someday. I agree, I wouldn't want it forever, so for now the snare will have to do. I'm making something opposite of everything I own. 6-ply Keller with re-rings..

You should call Sic Skinz... I bet they could help you out. They would probably need an electronic version or a scan of the artwork to go from though. They can do a lot. Not trying to sound like a troll or anything... but they do good work.

Look over some of the pics they have up on their myspace page. I think it's www.myspace.com/sicskinz

They show pics of work they do with Shawn Drover (Megadeth), Ron Lipnicki (Overkill), Snoop Dogg, etc.

RS

You should call Sic Skinz... I bet they could help you out. They would probably need an electronic version or a scan of the artwork to go from though. They can do a lot. Not trying to sound like a troll or anything... but they do good work.

Look over some of the pics they have up on their myspace page. I think it's www.myspace.com/sicskinz

They show pics of work they do with Shawn Drover (Megadeth), Ron Lipnicki (Overkill), Snoop Dogg, etc.

RS

I already have the wrap. When I said I'd like to do a kit someday, I was referring to having the cash for the shells.. the wrap is already taken care of..

Someday, I may get a sic skinz, but first things first...

i had great luck with these guys....www.cgdrumwraps.com
custom gear drum wraps. a local band had a kit done by himself and it was bad a$$ so i ended up ordering one and then did a 2nd set later too....tons of designs.

Back