Karen Carpenter

Re: You Don't See This Too Often

Wow, she was pretty slick! It was obvious she wasn't actually playing it but it was also obvious that she could. Maybe it was her that pre-recorded it. Her chops looked pretty damn fine, even for today!

That was great, thanks for posting! Yeah, she was playing along with the clip, but I don't doubt that she actually played the recorded parts, and she did pretty damn good with matching up to it convincingly so you almost thought she was playing live. It wasn't until she was playing with herself on the smaller acrylic set that I started hearing crashes that weren't played or vice versa.

That being said, damn cheesy 70's music, special effects, and lyp sync'd peformances :)

Man that brought back memories. I remember watching that on TV when I was just a kid. Yea there was alot of editing and prerecorded stuff in that clip but she could really play. The Carpenters started out as a jazz trio before they became a pop super group. Thanks for posting and the memories.

Love Karen. Damn shame she had to leave us so soon.

The Carpenters sold a ton of records. Had a bunch of top ten and #1 hits. She could sing. She could drum, and not just "for a girl." Still, she used the great Hal Blaine on many of her recordings, including, according to Hal's site, at least the following Top Ten Hits:
Close To You
We've Only Just Begun
Rainy Days and Mondays
Superstar
For All We Know.

Did you notice John Denver in the bit with the bass drum-glockenspiel trade? That truly is a great clip of her running around with all the different sets. I was most impressed with her ability to be so relaxed, even if she was playing to a previously recorded track she put down. As stated above, she was pretty much right on it and appears very at ease and having fun ... just look at her smile. Really good chops, particularly with the snare work, HH, and tom rolls. Joey

Great clip thanks for sharing that, Karen still is my favorite female drummer, she can play and sing.

She was certainly an accomplished musician! She had a very strong knack for the drums, and a voice to die for. I still think she had one of the finest singing voices I've ever heard. And when singing OR playing the drums, she made it all look effortless. Tragic loss for sure.

Anorexia killed the woman. May it never affect anyone close to you.

Why are you guys so damn serious.

I am the kind of person who can laugh at anything, including myself.

I am so surprised at what people will get all bent out of shape over.

I suppose that you have never laughed at a Helen Keller joke either????

I know its not really meant for this thread but im digging what karens doing at/around 8:57 in this link, sorry for being stupid but what is she doing, if anyone can be bothered to write out what shes doing or does anyone know of a video that i can watch to learn what shes doing in and around 8:57, many thanks, i love this video, a legend, for more reasons than one x

Oops, who have helped if I put the link, here ya go, just incase you havent read my post before this one, im wondering what it is that shes doing at 8:57, in the video on the link below, if possible (and it would help) could you put a link to a video of someone explaining it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dJUnh6N8-U

that completely boggled my mind.

Im not from that generation so always thought of her as the one with the cheezy 70s soft rock songs but wow. Something like that takes tons of rudimental chops...very buddy rich inspired

Don't be embarrased to give the lady her due. She was a multi -talented go getter who made her way to the top, against heavy odds. Things, then got messed up a little bit for her, but she put her stuff out there for the world to see, singing,writing,drums and all, and people are still talking about her, after all these years

That tells me she certainly left her mark.

she's amazing. she actually started out in marching drums but developed a passion for kit drumming. she really only wanted to drum but her vocals were too good (in fact they were fantastic and she is still regarded by many including myself to be one of the very top female vocalists ever). i saw her life story on the biography channel. she resented having to stand and sing in front of the kit while someone else played and always considered herself a drummer who could sing rather than as she was more commonly known: a singer who could drum.

j

Jason and Aydee - amen to all of that. As a boy I saw her on TV playing the drums and was very suprised that she could play them ( and no slouch at all ! )
I never knew though, that drums were here first love. Man, I love her voice. It's a great memory from my school days.

Back