...for the jazz cats ...

I wish there was still that whole buzzing scene like there was back then .....everyone swapping gigs and supporting each other

just doesn't happen much today

Born at the wrong time, man. That's how I feel about it, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology, modern medicine, etc. But if I could have been a young man back then, I would have been in heaven. Just having a scene like that, going out and taking in all that music. I mean, can you imagine? "Hey, Ants. Let's go down to the Five Spot and check out Monk with Coltrane tonight." "Okay. Then, after that, let's see Miles at the Cafe Bohemia."

Like a dream. And it really happened. The lucky ones who got to be around through that, man am I envious!

I was lucky to have seen and heard Sonny Stitt many times in Chicago in the 60's. The
most memorable was when a group cancelled (winter flight didn't arrive on schedule) and
a group of "musicians in town" was put together for the club. It began with Groove Holmes
on a B3 organ and a drummer (and I have no idea who he was!)....in came Gene Ammons,
Dexter Gordon and Sonny Stitt, all 3 on tenors...dang! It was heaven. Dexter was residing
in Europe but was in the states for a bit. It was the one and only time I saw him.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology, modern medicine, etc. But if I could have been a young man back then, I would have been in heaven
I don't know,...you think?
I say, it's all relative.
Keep your memories, because the generations that are coming up (some of which may not even be born yet) are gonna be sayin' the same thing about US, like we are about those guys 20 years our seniors.
I get a little of it, already.
"Man, you played there back in the 80's?"
"Yeah, but it was different back then."
You've never seen a group of 20 and 30 year olds so agape in your life.
Sometimes I almost wanna bust out laughing. It's such a strange feeling to have people react like that. =)

Elvis

Born at the wrong time, man. That's how I feel about it, anyway.

My Dad always said that about me. He lived through it and passed so much information onto me before he passed. I was blessed.

you guys have to check out this vid.

just great great stuff right here.......some of the greats reminiscing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jYVMZZxgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOJupvfRU-c

Beautiful puts it mildly.....................

I was lucky to have seen and heard Sonny Stitt many times in Chicago in the 60's. The
most memorable was when a group cancelled (winter flight didn't arrive on schedule) and
a group of "musicians in town" was put together for the club. It began with Groove Holmes
on a B3 organ and a drummer (and I have no idea who he was!)....in came Gene Ammons,
Dexter Gordon and Sonny Stitt, all 3 on tenors...dang! It was heaven. Dexter was residing
in Europe but was in the states for a bit. It was the one and only time I saw him.

That reminded of the first Sonny Stitt record I ever bought...w/ the Oscar Peterson Trio.

Some great tunes on that one.

Attachments

• OPT.jpg
    OPT.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 318
Right on.
It's almost a crime that more people aren't into Ed Blackwell.

Elvis

Thanks Philo, the link works now.
Definately worth the wait. Nice stuff!

Elvis

A couple of interesting new releases:

miles_zpsf67ff848.jpg

This includes a live concert featuring Miles' quintet playing some of the Bitch's Brew music two weeks before they recorded the album, along with other goodies. I'm thinking I've got to have this.

shorter_zps5e214728.jpg

This is the first record Shorter has put out in eight years; it's his same quartet (with Brian Blade on drums) with six new Shorter compositions. Looks tempting.

Right on.
It's almost a crime that more people aren't into Ed Blackwell.

Elvis

I saw Ed Blackwell at the New Orleans Jazz Fest back in the 80s. He was playing with Old and New Dreams. Peace and goodwill.

shorter_zps5e214728.jpg

This is the first record Shorter has put out in eight years; it's his same quartet (with Brian Blade on drums) with six new Shorter compositions. Looks tempting.

I had no idea this was coming out

I must own it

thank you J

A couple of interesting new releases:

miles_zpsf67ff848.jpg

This includes a live concert featuring Miles' quintet playing some of the Bitch's Brew music two weeks before they recorded the album, along with other goodies. I'm thinking I've got to have this.

This is huge. I hadn't even heard a peep about this until just now. Considering how much of that album was attributable to Teo Macero's work in the editing room, I want to hear how the music sounded in raw form.

Recently found this: Ed Blackwell said that it was his favorite album he played on(apparently he listened to it pretty regularly throughout his life). Eric Dolphy and Booker Little Live at the Five Spot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxQs-Zhuslc

Yeah, it doesn't get any better than this. I'm always singing the praises of this one.

I don't think Eric Dolphy was ever better. This was just one of those special jazz record dates where everything turns out perfect.

Back