EMAD 1 / 2 / GMAD - similar thunder?

bodinski

Hi all. I have a minor dilemma. I have found MY bass drum sound and don't want it to change. I use EMAD 1s, narrow ring, tuned fairly tight, empty drum, 1-ply reso, tightish w/ a ring (ala EMAD) of foam tape around the inner edge. My BDs sound like subwoofers (though unmiked) and I wanna keep them that way.

The problem:
I recently switched from felt beaters to Promark Crystal Balls. I did this to add a little definition and click. It worked somewhat but now I'm denting my right batter head. I am using the stock clear patches - plenty strong for felt beaters, not so for the Balls. If I doubled up the thin stock patches, would the 1 ply EMADs hold up?

If I switch to EMAD 2s or GMADs (thinking durability here) , will I still be able to achieve the same open, resonant tone via the same tuning method?

Anyone with ACTUAL experience with these heads tuned high (NO PILLOWS) - please share your opinions / experiences. All the comparos I've found are of muffled heads & therefore of no use to me.
Thanks!
bo

have used and recorded both EMAD and EMAD 2. I like the fat tone of the EMAD but found the E2 a little too dead and not as punchy. You should obtain better life from the two ply but don't expect to get the same sound. I am going to switch back to the original EMAD on my new kit in February.

As I mentioned on the other forum, don't forget about the GMAD option for a single-ply head. An AF patch will also help with durability.

As I mentioned on the other forum, don't forget about the GMAD option for a single-ply head. An AF patch will also help with durability.

Thanks for recommending the af patch. Before today I only knew about the black or clear eq patches. I love Evans heads but the eq patches are useless. I was at rehearsal last night and stuck my beater right through my emad with two of those eq patches on it. The head is about a year and a half old and had a really good dent in it where the beater struck. I'm definitely going for a gmad with an af patch.

Thanks for recommending the af patch. Before today I only knew about the black or clear eq patches. I love Evans heads but the eq patches are useless. I was at rehearsal last night and stuck my beater right through my emad with two of those eq patches on it. The head is about a year and a half old and had a really good dent in it where the beater struck. I'm definitely going for a gmad with an af patch.

Keep in mind that you're using what would likely be considered the "wrong" head for your playing style. An EMAD2 would be a much better choice.

Thanks for the comments folks!
Does anyone know if a GMAD have EMAD 1-like resonance at higher, open tunings?

Bought the GMADs & a pair of Falam patches. My BD sound is really close to what it was, if maybe a tad darker. Looks like durability won't be a problem now, as I stacked the stock patches with the Remos. Amazingly, there isn't a lot of difference between the sound of the heads bare vs. w/ patches.
Thanks to all for your input!
bo

Keep in mind that you're using what would likely be considered the "wrong" head for your playing style. An EMAD2 would be a much better choice.

From what I've heard, the EMAD2 doesn't sond as good as the EMAD or GMAD. It is my opinion that the correct head for my playing style is the one that sounds the best to my ear. Just curious, have you seen me play or something?

From what I've heard, the EMAD2 doesn't sond as good as the EMAD or GMAD. It is my opinion that the correct head for my playing style is the one that sounds the best to my ear. Just curious, have you seen me play or something?

I've never heard you play but it sounds like you're playing a bit more aggressively with some serious power (especially with the Pro Mark ball beater). The best head for your playing style is the one that sounds good and holds up well. For instance, plenty of our metal artists thing the G1 sounds good, but I wouldn't recommend a single-ply 10mil. head for their playing.

I've never heard you play but it sounds like you're playing a bit more aggressively with some serious power (especially with the Pro Mark ball beater). The best head for your playing style is the one that sounds good and holds up well. For instance, plenty of our metal artists thing the G1 sounds good, but I wouldn't recommend a single-ply 10mil. head for their playing.
You have me mistaken with Bodinski, the guy who started this thread. I use the soft side of the DW stock beater. I do have a heavy foot, though. I still want to try the GMAD. I found an old EMAD in my basement and am using that for the time being.

Back