It's Been Awhile, But Look at What I Got!

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Hi everybody. I haven't been around for several months due to other life stuff, but I wanted to show everyone what I just acquired.

A new (to me) Ludwig Supraphonic!

It's a 2008 model which looks absolutely fantastic (I've included pictures!!)

One thing, however, I didn't realize that Ludwig stopped making the Supra's with the internal muffler. How did I not know this?

I bought the drum on Ebay and there weren't a lot of pictures - at least of the inside of the drum. So I didn't realize this. The last 24 hours have been very educational.

The drum has a new Ambassador batter head (installed by the seller), and the original Ludwig resonant head.

I would like to change the heads due to the extreme overtones and would like some suggestions. Don't get me wrong, I know that the overtones on snares (and especially a Supraphonic) are what it's all about. But these need to be tamed a bit. I have an Acrolite, that I love the sound of, and use the internal muffler a bit to control those overtones - sounds brilliant!

Okay, enough rambling.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• Supra - Top View.jpg
    Supra - Top View.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 715
  • Supra - Bottom View.jpg
    Supra - Bottom View.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 665
  • Supra - Strainer-Top.jpg
    Supra - Strainer-Top.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 652
  • Supra - Butt Plate-Top.jpg
    Supra - Butt Plate-Top.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 659
  • Supra - Badge-Top.jpg
    Supra - Badge-Top.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 667
  • Supra - Badge-Close up.jpg
    Supra - Badge-Close up.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 656
To be honest I did not get the sense of Dre25's post, but maybe it's just a language problem (I mean: maybe I don't get jokes in English …).

Anyway: first of all let me tell you that you have found a great snare! In fact it looks like your Supra is a chrome over brass one (COB)! The interior does not look like Ludalloy (aluminum). I have a relatively recent COB Supra and it has a very similar interior. What I do not understand is the blue / olive badge: it seemed to me that around 2008 Ludwig already had the new Monroe type of badge (new keystone badge).

Ludwig experts?

I can't help with your questions, of course, but it's good to see you back here, and oh my goodness, WHAT A BEAUTY!

Congrats on a beautiful snare! You won't be sorry once you get it dialed in the way you like. I have a 2009 LM400 Supraphonic, and it is an amazing snare drum.

For the muffling, or having a bit more control over the ring, I've been using an Evans Genera Dry batter head, with an Evans Glass 200 snare side, with 42-Strand Snare Wires. That combo lets the drum sing, but keeps the overtones in check without making the drum sound dead.. Also, try 42-Strand snare wires! Holy snare-slap Batman!

The drum has a new Ambassador batter head (installed by the seller), and the original Ludwig resonant head.

I would like to change the heads due to the extreme overtones and would like some suggestions. Don't get me wrong, I know that the overtones on snares (and especially a Supraphonic) are what it's all about. But these need to be tamed a bit. I have an Acrolite, that I love the sound of, and use the internal muffler a bit to control those overtones

I like Remo CS on my Supra but all you really need is some tape or Moongel. No reason to waste a new Ambassador.

To be honest I did not get the sense of Dre25's post, but maybe it's just a language problem (I mean: maybe I don't get jokes in English …).

Anyway: first of all let me tell you that you have found a great snare! In fact it looks like your Supra is a chrome over brass one (COB)! The interior does not look like Ludalloy (aluminum). I have a relatively recent COB Supra and it has a very similar interior. What I do not understand is the blue / olive badge: it seemed to me that around 2008 Ludwig already had the new Monroe type of badge (new keystone badge).

Ludwig experts?

Yeah I took it to a local music shop and the guy there thought that it might be a brass shell, too. I'd be really interested to find out.

By the way, but not to brag, but I got the drum for $177.50. Both the guys that work in the Drum Dept. at the shop said I stole it!!

I can't help with your questions, of course, but it's good to see you back here, and oh my goodness, WHAT A BEAUTY!

Thanks, Magenta!

If it has a "cut" B/O badge either it a B stock drum or it's COB.Either way,a magnet won't help in this case,since neither aluminum nor brass is magnetic.Even if it's ludalloy,you got a great deal.I'm not aware Ludwig sold B stock supras ,except for the Black Beauty.

The way to tell what metal it is for sure,would be to remove 1 lug and take a small file or knife,and scrape the plating from the mounting hole.You'll know for sure if it's brass

Steve B

The way to tell what metal it is for sure,would be to remove 1 lug and take a small file or knife,and scrape the plating from the mounting hole.You'll know for sure if it's brass

Steve B

Yes, I've heard that. When I play the current head out, I do just that. Thanks!

you don't need an internal muffler. i have had many snares without one.
check out one i created, edge of batter - just felt attached ot hoop by a clip. cuts serious overtones.

P1060145_zpsc7c0985f.jpg

I like this clip idea. Well done Sir.

Have you tried a magnet on the side of the drum to see if it is steel

you don't need an internal muffler. i have had many snares without one.
check out one i created, edge of batter - just felt attached ot hoop by a clip. cuts serious overtones.

P1060145_zpsc7c0985f.jpg

Great idea. I'm going to try it and you should market it.

Have you tried a magnet on the side of the drum to see if it is steel

No, I hadn't until you just asked. The only thing a magnet sticks to is the hoops.

The only thing a magnet sticks to is the hoops.

Glad to hear it. If it did then it ain't a Supra and you'd have been hosed. Ludwig have never made a spun steel shell Supraphonic snare drum.

I'm a betting man. I'm laying money down on a good old fashioned Ludalloy LM400. I'll be interested to find out. Surely you're not gonna wait til you change heads to get to the bottom of this are you? If I thought there was even a remote chance I'd bought a COB at that price I'd have had it apart and investigated long before now.

If it has a "cut" B/O badge either it a B stock drum or it's COB

Doesn't look like they had much choice Steve. There's not a hell of a lot of room between the hoop and centre bead. Does the uncut B/O badge even fit on a 400?

I love my '64 Supraphonic.......COS shell

Assume you mean COA shell?

I ask not to be a pedant, but because I think it's situations like this that have helped create the myth that the mytserious "steel shell Supra" actually exists. It is the stuff of legend, yet no one has ever been able to prove it exists....lord knows I've never seen one and nor have any Ludwig afficionardos that I've encoutered. But that hasn't stopped the talk. I put it down to people confusing the shiny chrome coating as steel. If you really do have a steel shell Supra it'd be the first confirmation I've ever seen.

Assume you mean COA shell?

I ask not to be a pedant, but because I think it's situations like this that have helped create the myth that the mytserious "steel shell Supra" actually exists. It is the stuff of legend, yet no one has ever been able to prove it exists....lord knows I've never seen one and nor have any Ludwig afficionardos that I've encoutered. But that hasn't stopped the talk. I put it down to people confusing the shiny chrome coating as steel. If you really do have a steel shell Supra it'd be the first confirmation I've ever seen.

I guess COA or COL ( Chrome over Ludalloy ) are the most correct ways to say it since the alloy contains mostly auminum and varius other metals to allow it to be extruded. Mine is most certainly a Ludalloy version.

Back