What is the name of this specific fill/pattern?

Oh man I remember a few years ago I was teaching a kid and he asked me about that specific type of fill. It's a rudiment of some sort and I think it's got a crazy name, I'll have to do some research, if all else fails I can write it out. I love using that fill

you mean the "blushda"? that's like an inverted swiss army triplet, with one extra note - rL r l becomes rL rr l. there's quite a few youtube videos explaining how to, and where to go with it. It's one of those things that you want to learn, but get away from it too, learn to orchestrate it differently, placing in a different area of the phrase , be original..otherwise it becomes kind of cliche because so many players use/have used it.

It's the Blushda. It's actually an elaboration on the 'Flam Accent' rather than the 'Swiss Army Triplet'.

(rl) or (lr) = a flam

Swiss Army Triplet is either (rl) L R, (rl) L R, etc or (lr) R L, (lr) R L, etc

The Flam accent is flam (rl) R L, (lr) L R.

Taking the part of the Flam Accent that is (rl) R L, the Blushda doubles up on the R so you get (rl) RR L. To play it on the kit, there's several ways to orchestrate it but most commonly, flam '(rl)' between tom and snare starting on the tom, and the 'RR L' all on the snare.

you mean the "blushda"? ......be original..otherwise it becomes kind of cliche because so many players use/have used it.

A 'cliche'? Do you know of a vid that show maybe a better or more common example of the blushda than this one?
I've learned this rudiment for awhile but actually find it rather difficult to apply in many situations around the kit. To my ears it interrupts flow, but thats likely my inability to perfect it.

It's the Blushda. It's actually an elaboration on the 'Flam Accent' rather than the 'Swiss Army Triplet'.

(rl) or (lr) = a flam

Taking the part of the Flam Accent that is (rl) R L, the Blushda doubles up on the R so you get (rl) RR L. To play it on the kit, there's several ways to orchestrate it but most commonly, flam '(rl)' between tom and snare starting on the tom, and the 'RR L' all on the snare.

Yes that's it thankyou very much!

A 'cliche'? Do you know of a vid that show maybe a better or more common example of the blushda than this one?
I've learned this rudiment for awhile but actually find it rather difficult to apply in many situations around the kit. To my ears it interrupts flow, but thats likely my inability to perfect it.

Todd Sucherman does a great job of explaining the lick - click here

(rl) or (lr) = a flam

isn't the swiss army triplet just an inverted flam accent? I think that's what I meant but 5am posting and lack of coffee usually wins. Could be wrong.

Either way I've been out of the loop concerning rudiment schooling for a while, should probably brush up again.

I can say that the "blushda" isn't a schooled rudiment, it's a sticking.

I know that Steve Holmes has a good video from a while back, here. You really want to do things like break up the hands around the drums, add a bass drum to lead it off (or even two 32nd note triplets), and things like that. I also like to mix in other rudiments like 6 stroke rolls, or hand-foot combinations between blushdas, etc. etc. to really spice it up, that's sort of where I took it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6U5okNdGiY

isn't the swiss army triplet just an inverted flam accent? I think that's what I meant but 5am posting and lack of coffee usually wins. Could be wrong.

Either way I've been out of the loop concerning rudiment schooling for a while, should probably brush up again.

I can say that the "blushda" isn't a schooled rudiment, it's a sticking.

I know that Steve Holmes has a good video from a while back, here. You really want to do things like break up the hands around the drums, add a bass drum to lead it off (or even two 32nd note triplets), and things like that. I also like to mix in other rudiments like 6 stroke rolls, or hand-foot combinations between blushdas, etc. etc. to really spice it up, that's sort of where I took it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6U5okNdGiY

Yeah, Steve Holmes was pretty much the first, if not the first, to teach the Blushda. Even he describes it as based on a Swiss Triplet. But not wanting to sound pedantic, while you're correct that it's an inverted Swiss Army Triplet, an inverted Swiss Army Triplet is actually a Flam Accent.

It’s a fine lick, I’m just always afraid I’ll lose the groove or fail to communicate the overall musical line when doing something fast and intricate like this around the kit. Maybe if it’s just on the snare, those dangers aren’t there, but...it takes a LOT of repetition to really perfect fills like these, and that’s not what you’re getting paid for anyway.

After playing around with blushda today, I'm convinced the Flam Accent version is superior. Here's why. The distance between stickings in the Flam Accent is better balanced (8/4 on the RH, 7/5 on the LH), compared to Swiss Army Triplet (8/4 on RH, 9/3 on the LH):

Code:
Flam Accent:
|1 . . . . . 2 . . . . . 3 . . . . . 4 . . . . . |1
|rL  R   L   rL  R   L   rL  R   L   rL  R   L   |rL
  ^......^....^
      7     5    ===> becomes 7.5/4.5 if 'rL' is centered on the quarter note
 ^...^.......^
   4     8       ===> becomes 7.5/4.5 if 'rL' is centered on the quarter note

Swiss Army Triplet:
|rL  L   R   rL  L   R   rL  L   R   rL  L   R   |rL
  ^..^........^
    3     9      ===> becomes 8.5/3.5 if 'rL' is centered on the quarter note
 ^.......^...^
     8     4     ===> becomes 8.5/3.5 if 'rL' is centered on the quarter note

Last edited:
I thought a "blushda" was the same as what we always called a "herta" in drum corps, which is just this:
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.21.17 AM.png
And it seems Larnell is bringing out his left hand a bit - or perhaps it's just the fact that his left hand is on the tom - to get this sound:
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.21.26 AM.png
Another "hybrid" rudiment based on this is the "Grandma", which is this:
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.21.37 AM.png

Todd Sucherman's video is cool, but I just never thought of that as a "blushda". I just always called it "that Tony thing". Maybe not quite the same as a "blushda", but I did a video on it here:

Even if it's not exactly what Larnell played it should give you a similar effect.

I thought a "blushda" was the same as what we always called a "herta" in drum corps, which is just this:
View attachment 102397
And it seems Larnell is bringing out his left hand a bit - or perhaps it's just the fact that his left hand is on the tom - to get this sound:
View attachment 102398
Another "hybrid" rudiment based on this is the "Grandma", which is this:
View attachment 102399

Todd Sucherman's video is cool, but I just never thought of that as a "blushda". I just always called it "that Tony thing". Maybe not quite the same as a "blushda", but I did a video on it here:

Even if it's not exactly what Larnell played it should give you a similar effect.
I actually threw some hertas into my playing today - before knowing what it's called - as a result of playing around with flams and blushdas. I was able to incorporate it into fills rather easily, even trying the 'L' on the toms with the herta played over a dotted 8th pattern in 4/4. I haven't tried the hybrid yet, but I'm going to tomorrow if I get a chance. I like Steve Holmes technique so much I might get with him for some lessons if and when my finances ease up.

EDIT: The the Flam Accent Blushda has the same sticking as your herta hybrid, the flam accent being moved out to the next nearest triplet 16th:

Code:
Flam Accent Blushda:
|rL  R R L   rL  R R L   rL  R R L   rL  R R L   |rL
  ^

Herta Hybrid:
|R L R R L   R L R R L   R L R R L   R L R R L   |R
   ^

Last edited:
Man, that lick is like the pickled beets on a salad bar to me.......they are nice all by themselves but when put in the salad they mess the whole thing up, at least to my ear. Musically, it just sounds really disruptive to me. Technically I can pull that off, I'm just not sure where I would use that in my playing personally.

Cool lick though......

Back