Just Bought a late 60's Luddy Kit

Great looking kit.

It's good to be a bit frugal overall. But when you see something that really grabs you, it's good to splurge a bit too. Enjoy them.

(and don't drill any holes in them right away - LOL)

They seem to be from an original complete kit as far as I can tell. They were advertised that way.
I put them at around 1968.
Looking at the timeline http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/serial_numbers.html the 623 numbers are '68. The 824 badge, '71. I have 2 '69 drums, and a '71 ..... and they are all date stamped inside. Might want to check there (inside). That number will be more accurate than tracking serial numbers.​
Quite a gorgeous set, you have there.​

It was kind of an impulse Larry. I was scanning Steve Maxwell's site and there they were.
When I saw the condition and I read what Steve wrote about the kit in his description I had to buy it.
Steve has a great rep for telling it exactly like it is.
He basically said that this is one of the best examples of a 60's Ludwig kit that he has ever seen. He said that if it wasn't for the 20" bass he would keep them for his personal collection.
In my case I wanted the 20" bass.

This looks to me like a kit that was kept in the best of conditions by upstanding owner/s.
I plan on doing the same.

tamadrm, Its gonna be coated ambs top and bottom on these toms and probably a PS3 coated on the bass batter side.
I probably won't gig with this kit. I have my 2012 Club Date for that purpose.
This will be a home studio queen :)

Yeah I should have said a PS3 on the bass and maybe a Dr.Scholls moleskin patch on the batter side to get maybe just a little more punch .That head combo just brings out that beautiful vintage Ludwig sound.

You can't go wrong with buying from Steve Maxwell.The guy and his staff just know their stuff and you can be sure that kit is the real deal.

For a time the 20" bass drum was optional on the classic series but they were usually sold 13/16/22.

Again...beautiful drums,and that version of Ludwig WMP is in my opinion much nicer than the later trapazoid pattern..

Steve B

Steve B

Thanks Harry, I will check the inside dates.
It really won't bother me if one drum is an early 70's vintage. If the shell construction is 3 ply and the shells are all in-tact then I will be happy.
I appreciate all the advise that is offered by you vintage Ludwig veterans.
I will look them over throughly upon arrival.

OK, so from what tamadrm and you have said I conclude that the bass drum is probably an odd duck hence the serial number being from early 70's.

If it's a white painted interior, then the badge serial number isn't accurate. There are a lot of discrepancies with the serial numbers. If the other 2 drums date back to 1968, I think the badge is the oddball, not the shell.

If it's a white painted interior, then the badge serial number isn't accurate. There are a lot of discrepancies with the serial numbers. If the other 2 drums date back to 1968, I think the badge is the oddball, not the shell.
I was also thinking in terms of painted innards.
When did ludwig stop painting the insides?

I was looking at a set last week. Not quite as old, not near as nice, and they were advertised as 6 ply.

The insides were painted white. But who knows? - an owner may have done it.

1968 was changes for Ludwig. They stopped making the mahogany/poplar/maple shell .... and started making the maple/poplar/maple shell. Info from the vintage drum guide .....​
Ludwig White Interiors - Benjamin Moore Regal Semi Gloss Finish N333 (Formerly - Benjamin Moore Aqua Glo White)

Just to make it very clear, with Ludwig drums there are transition shells that might not fit these dates with a different ply make-up. Also, on drums with wood finished exteriors that were lacquered then the exterior ply would normally be maple. This is not an exact science and the cross over drums between changes add a twist to the history of Ludwig.

Ludwig Shells Basic shell information 3-Ply Shells Shell Material Interior
1960 Mahogany/Poplar/Mahogany Clear Lacquer
1961-1967? White Paint
1968 Switched to clear interiors and also the baseball bat mufflers Maple/Poplar/Maple Clear Interior
1976 3ply shells switched to 6 ply shells some time in 1976-77
Ludwig Date Stamps
Date stamping started around 1956 with larger numbers and letters in red ink, then in 1961-1962 stampings were still red, but with slightly smaller characters. In 1963 shells can be found with red or black ink stamps. (Rob Cook)
Wildbill .... 6 ply should have clear interiors. So an aftermarket paint job .... or those drums weren't 6 ply.​

.. Wildbill .... 6 ply should have clear interiors. So an aftermarket paint job .... or those drums weren't 6 ply...

My bad. There's several resale shops around here that I spend some time browsing. Look at enough drums and you start mixing them up - ha ha.
There was a set of Ludwigs - 13, 16,18" kick that looked interesting. That was the one that was 6 ply. It didn't stay there long, someone snatched it up right away.

The ones that were painted white inside were Rogers. But they were also painted outside too, red over a white wrap.

Last edited:
Mine were advertised as Maple Poplar Maple so they should be clear inside, Correct?
Were the white interior shells from 61 to around 67 Mahogany or Maple?

bob-

That is one of the most incredible White Marine Pearl finishes I have ever seen, especially one from the 60's. That finish is usually very yellow after 50 years. CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

Mine were advertised as Maple Poplar Maple so they should be clear inside, Correct?
Were the white interior shells from 61 to around 67 Mahogany or Maple?

M/P/M's are clear on the inside. They also have the B/O pointy badges, not keystone badges. Your's really should be white painted. If they were advertised as M/P/M and you got them from Maxwells....something doesn't add up. Either they were advertised wrong, or there are some M/P/M's with keystone badges, which I doubt, but with Ludwig, one never knows. Well actually Steve would know. I'm going with white painted interior and a mahogany/poplar/maple shell. And an awesome WMP finish :)

beautiful kit

is that a Louie Bellson kit in the background?

where were these taken ?

Maxwells?

beautiful kit

is that a Louie Bellson kit in the background?

where were these taken ?

Maxwells?
Thanks Anthony and Bonz, Yes, Maxwel's NYC and that is the Bellson kit behind my Ludwig's.

You are correct Larry. Ludwig history is confusing.
If they are white on the inside with Mahogany Poplar Maple I am still happy.

Oh and its not like the white painted is a lesser shell, not at all. I have a set of both, mid 60's and mid 70's. FWIW, my son prefers my mid 60's set. I can't tell a whole lot of difference between the 2. Both have a middle ply of poplar and a maple ply. So they wouldn't be far off in tone, construction was, except for the inside finish, the same. I'm guessing you got yourself one of those elusive magic sets there, because of the price, and the fact that Steve wanted to keep it himself. The guy see a lot of drums.

Larry, If you go to Maxwell's site he has a champagne sparkle kit with badges like mine and same sizes as mine that is listed as Maple Poplar Maple.
He has a video link where he talks about the champagne kit and he mentions my kit.
http://youtu.be/fIKXedRd5Yc

I absolutely LOVE that kit Larry. It's just like my first kit and I will own one again!

A bit of a misnomer about the clear interiors being maple, poplar, maple. Any Luddie 3 ply clear interior drum I have ever taken the wrap off from this era has been maple, poplar, mahogany. Not sure why they are always described as m/p/m. Yours could be white or clear interior since this was a transition year. Either one are some of the best drums ever produced IMHO.

Attachments

• luddie 3 ply.jpg
    luddie 3 ply.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 927
Ludwig used white interior (resocoat and keystone badge) shells up until late 68 as some of these were warehoused and made before the transition.Even some shells before 69 were maple/poplar/mahogany,depending on the finish.If the shell was a stain or painted finish,the exterior ply was maple.

You can still find some late 60's drums with clear interiors and keystone badges.

Some shells later than 69 (B&O badge) were mahogany/poplar/maple,clear interior but by 71 all the shell were maple/poplar/maple 3 plys.If one showed up with a mahogany ply ,it was a leftover pre 70's.These were primarily used on the standard line with granitone interiors.

Steve B

Last edited:
Now I'm really confused. There were clear interiors with keystone badges? Since they were advertised as clear interiors, well I guess he should know. Steve I continue to be in envy of your Ludwig knowledge.

Back