Vinnie Colaiuta

Re: Vinnie Colauita

This Sunday I'm going to see Herbie, and Vinnies on drums! I can't wait!

Should be damn good, though I really don't know what to expect.

foursticks said:

Thanks for the info, man, I had no idea they were coming to England. I see they're playing in London on Saturday...very tempting. Nathan East on bass too. Nice.

Thanks, take care, and play on! :)

jonescrusher said:
Just put this up, an amusing exerpt from 'We Don't Mess Around', a Zappa showcase which I presume was broadcast on German TV. Zappa's bodyguard giving an insight into the dynamics of the band, and Vinnie, at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPuMnhRn4QQ

Ahhh awesome, thank you! On the last page I posted the MP3 of "Seal Call Fusion Music" haha. Please get that clip up next..?

KzSgDrummer said:
Ahhh awesome, thank you! On the last page I posted the MP3 of "Seal Call Fusion Music" haha. Please get that clip up next..?

No probs, was gonna do that next....

Great, please let us know when it's up... like I said before, that two and a half minutes should be required viewing for everyone here. Vinnie shows his signature flare and brilliance, while engaging in some of the silliest and funniest of discourse with Zappa and the hilarious Tommy Mars.. LOVE IT!

foursticks said:

Now THAT'S gonna be a show! Have fun, foursticks....Play on!

jonescrusher said:
Just put this up, an amusing exerpt from 'We Don't Mess Around', a Zappa showcase which I presume was broadcast on German TV. Zappa's bodyguard giving an insight into the dynamics of the band, and Vinnie, at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPuMnhRn4QQ

Hee...hee...Yea, sounds about right, jonescrusher. That was normal for those Zappa hounds...Thanks and Play On!

For your viewing pleasure KzSg, a little Seal Call Fusion Music. That disco beat floors me, an early glimpse of the Vinnie Genius.

Apologies that it's a little out of sync, a bit annoying, hope it doesn't diminish the viewing enjoyment too much...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPobB_1kZao

Edit - to the Mods, any way we can get that spelling mistake in the name rectified, it's a bit of a shame if we can't spell the world's greatest living drummer's name correctly, no?

"It's a Pendercki number"

"Actually, cryogenics is expanding... Day by -- Dayyeeeee!"

It's crazy how almost unrecognizable Vinnie is under all that hair and those glasses. My first viewing of Vinnie with Zappa was the 1978 SNL clips, and I didn't even realize it was him until I connected the dots and realized the guy playing Vinnie's yellow Gretchs was in fact Vinnie.

Also, the synching is quite fine..only a few points do you really notice it. Again, a big ol' THANKS.

It's amazing too how his set up has evolved over the years - that snare angle is unrecognizable! And matched grip all the way!!

michael drums said:
Now THAT'S gonna be a show! Have fun, foursticks....Play on!

Thanks man, I'll post my thoughts of it on here.

jonescrusher said:
that snare angle is unrecognizable! And matched grip all the way!!

Right. And of course that snare was at that angle because of how rediculously low to the ground he sat back then. His knees were higher than his hop bones, and you could barely see his head over the toms!

foursticks said:
Thanks man, I'll post my thoughts of it on here.

You got it, fs. Thanks, I'll keep a look out for it. Play On!

Oh, yea...Love that "Buddy" quote. It speaks volumes...Peace

Sitting that low was the trend in the late 70s and early 80s. We were all looking for the lowest thrones possible He probably still sits pretty low but it doesn't look as low because he's playing much smaller and lower drums. If you've seen the Zappa/SNL thing, you'll notice how big those Gretsch drums are and how high the toms are mounted.

Right. And of course that snare was at that angle because of how rediculously low to the ground he sat back then. His knees were higher than his hop bones, and you could barely see his head over the toms!

Well, the toms might have been big and mounted pretty high, but that bass drum also helps with the overall illusion, since it's only a 20". But yeah, point taken on the whole sitting low trend back then. What was the appeal? Physically it doesn't make much sense (to me at least).

Gary Chaffee influence perhaps? I say that because a friend of mine studied with Chaffee for many years and he sat that low. It could have been because Vinnie was doing at the time as well. I don't know.

Sitting that low may have something to do with weight distribution There's less weight on your legs sitting like that may help with your footwork. I tried it for a while and decided it wasn't for me. My thighs are nearly parallel with the floor again.

But yeah, point taken on the whole sitting low trend back then. What was the appeal? Physically it doesn't make much sense (to me at least).

Well, the toms might have been big and mounted pretty high, but that bass drum also helps with the overall illusion, since it's only a 20". But yeah, point taken on the whole sitting low trend back then. What was the appeal? Physically it doesn't make much sense (to me at least).

Agreed. But then, lots of drummers' seat height doesn't make sense to me. Every time I go play on a kit here in NZ I have to drop the seat dramatically to get my legs parallel with the floor - every other drummer seems to sit much, much higher than I do and I honestly don't get it. It seems harder to balance, your legs have to work harder to lift, and so forth. Odd. I sat at a pretty normal height at Drumtech, didn't have to adjust things much, but coming over to New Zealand every single drummer seems to sit about as high as the one French guy at Drumtech who sat higher than everybody else in the entire year...

Agreed. But then, lots of drummers' seat height doesn't make sense to me. Every time I go play on a kit here in NZ I have to drop the seat dramatically to get my legs parallel with the floor - every other drummer seems to sit much, much higher than I do and I honestly don't get it. It seems harder to balance, your legs have to work harder to lift, and so forth. Odd. I sat at a pretty normal height at Drumtech, didn't have to adjust things much, but coming over to New Zealand every single drummer seems to sit about as high as the one French guy at Drumtech who sat higher than everybody else in the entire year...

Thats because they are all Ringo Fans.

Sitting too low is not good for your knees and lower back. When you sit low and kick the bass drum or high-hat pedal, more reaction force comes over to your knees, your hip bones and your back, and it will hurt them.
If you sit higher, the reaction force will not come up to your knees and back that much.

And I guess it depends on how you play the pedal...I mean heel-up or heel-down. If you play mainly heel-up, higher seat will help you to kick the pedal more easily because you can use the weight of your legs. If you play heel-down, maybe lower seat is more comfortable in kicking the bass drum.

Back