Carlos Vega

skreg

Are there any fellow Carlos Vega fans hanging around? I really love his groove and the simplicity of his approach. Two words come to mind: ROCK SOLID.

Some of my favorite tracks include:

"Amaretto" from "Banded Together" by Lee Ritenour

"Brewy's Bag" from "Music from Riding Bean" by David Garfield and Friends

"I Don't Care" from "Tales from the Bulge" by Micheal Landau

Does anybody have any cool video links or interview articles? Anybody know who he studied with or what he liked to practice?

-sheldon

I really only heard him on a few recordings he did with James Taylor and yes, the man was solid. But my being a fan actually came from meeting the man. Stan at Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood built me a bass drum some years ago, and when I went down to pick it up, Stan actually let me put the hardware back on it. As I was finishing it up and giving it a tuning, Carlos Vegas walks in and admires it and then asks if he could play it. The man's right foot slammed it for a while and what he played was impressive. He told me it was the best sounding bass drum he'd ever heard - so if a guy like that can compliment my tuning abilities, then I'm a fan!

I love Carlos playing. The double live cd he did with James Taylor called "Live" has some beautiful drumming on it. Its a must have for drummers who wants to know what playing for the song is all about. Carlos has also done a relly nice solo (actually one of the very few solos that doesn`t make me fall asleep):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ_ZOG0ZMlY

Along with Porcaro, Gadd and Vinnie he is one of the greatest drummers ever and its devestating to think about that he killed himself...

Yeah, I have the DVD which has the solo you pointed out. It's called:

Double Time Jazz Collection, Vol. 4: Lee Ritenour & Dave Grusin/GRP All-Stars - Live From the Record Plant

It has two concerts on it, both with Vega. Definitely worth the 10 bucks if you like 80's session music, awesome hair cuts, and magical keyboard tones.

I agree that Carlos was one of the best session drummers around. Lee Ritenour has a way of choosing the best drummers for his projects!

Watching his playing reminds me of the New Breed systems. Pumping the left foot, steady lead hand, rock solid kick, consistent backbeat . . . and rock solid timing. I'd love to find some interviews or something!

-sheldon

He was an amazing drummer...correct to put in the major " best of" . Would like to more of his background. Denis

Carlos was truly one of the greatest drummers; a real jack of all trades in terms of style, groove, feel and pocket. He had chops for days, but always played for the music first and foremost.

Does anyone know the sizes of his gloss maple Gretsch kit he plays with Lee Ritenour and Dave Grusin in the Live From the Record Plant video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_g7I88h-z8

Loved his playing. Here's a clip of him supporting James Taylor.

Last edited:
Carlos was truly one of the greatest drummers; a real jack of all trades in terms of style, groove, feel and pocket. He had chops for days, but always played for the music first and foremost.

Does anyone know the sizes of his gloss maple Gretsch kit he plays with Lee Ritenour and Dave Grusin in the Live From the Record Plant video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_g7I88h-z8

From Modern Drummer 1990:

10,12,13,14 toms. 22x16 bass. Ludwig 5,5x14 bronze snare.

Clear Emperors top, clear Diplomats on bottoms of toms.

Paiste 22" 602 ride, 602 Thin crashes, 2002 Hi-hats.

From Modern Drummer 1990:

10,12,13,14 toms. 22x16 bass. Ludwig 5,5x14 bronze snare.

Clear Emperors top, clear Diplomats on bottoms of toms.

Paiste 22" 602 ride, 602 Thin crashes, 2002 Hi-hats.

Thanks for this info, but I think this was his black, James Taylor Gretsch kit and not the gloss maple GRP kit from 85'.

Thanks for this info, but I think this was his black, James Taylor Gretsch kit and not the gloss maple GRP kit from 85'.

Think what you want.
This is the whole Q and A, from MD Sept. 90 (Weckl cover):

Q: I enjoy watching and listening to you play the drums very much. The recording of you on the GRP Live in Session CD and video is something everyone should hear. Your drums sound unbelievable. Please tell me about your setup on that recording and include what sizes and kinds of drums, snare drum, heads, and cymbals you play. Also, please explain any tuning techniques you migh use. I'd also like to know what recent recordings I can hear you on.

A: The drums I used on the GRP Live in Session album were Gretsch. The toms were 10", 12" , 13", and 14", the kick was 22x16, and the snare drum was a Ludwig bronze 5,5x14. On the batter side of the toms I used Remo Emperor clears, the bottoms were fitted with clear Diplomats. The cymbals were Paiste; a 22" 602 ride, 602 thin crahes, and 2002 hi-hats.
When tuning, I start with both heads the same pitch. Then I fine-tune the top up or down, depending on the sound I want.
Finally, Lee Ritenour's Color Rit and Linda Ronstadt's Cry Like A Rainstorm are two of the more recent recordings I've worked on.

Think what you want.
This is the whole Q and A, from MD Sept. 90 (Weckl cover):

Q: I enjoy watching and listening to you play the drums very much. The recording of you on the GRP Live in Session CD and video is something everyone should hear. Your drums sound unbelievable. Please tell me about your setup on that recording and include what sizes and kinds of drums, snare drum, heads, and cymbals you play. Also, please explain any tuning techniques you migh use. I'd also like to know what recent recordings I can hear you on.

A: The drums I used on the GRP Live in Session album were Gretsch. The toms were 10", 12" , 13", and 14", the kick was 22x16, and the snare drum was a Ludwig bronze 5,5x14. On the batter side of the toms I used Remo Emperor clears, the bottoms were fitted with clear Diplomats. The cymbals were Paiste; a 22" 602 ride, 602 thin crahes, and 2002 hi-hats.
When tuning, I start with both heads the same pitch. Then I fine-tune the top up or down, depending on the sound I want.
Finally, Lee Ritenour's Color Rit and Linda Ronstadt's Cry Like A Rainstorm are two of the more recent recordings I've worked on.

Alright, I stand corrected. Thanks for taking the time to type that out.

Hello Everyone,
Great tune dude.
When I entered the world of audio sales back in 1988, I was given a CD sampler from GRP All stars (handed out by JVC), it included 4 tracks, Reverent Lee, Rio Funk, Early Morning Attitude and Oasis. It blew my mind. I can honestly say that it was Carlos Vega's drumming that got me into wanted to be a drummer. He was truly one of the best drummers of the 80's.

Laura Branigan's first two studio album's back in the early eighties.

Her song "Solitaire" has some straight ahead solid playing on it.

Last edited:
Back