Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

is there tearout under the washers of most of the drum shells out there on the market?

Most shells have much smaller holes drilled for the lugs, as they only need to pass a small screw through the shell, as opposed to these larger holes. Smaller hole usually = less chance for tearout.

I've taken lugs off of other drums and not seen tearout around the screw holes. But to be fair those would be much more expensive drums.

As for how/why/circumstances they were were there, Ludwig put them out there for people to see, and I saw it. All I can go by is what they put on display.

SIGNET 105= Best new product- drums at NAMM 2014 IMO

This is a great idea, can't wait for more finishes, or even a 'raw' offering where the user could finish themselves for a further reduced price.

This is a great idea, can't wait for more finishes, or even a 'raw' offering where the user could finish themselves further reducing price.

I wonder if they can come up with more sizes, maybe a shell bank where the buyer can order pieces and sizes? it would be a lot easier to quote you if I knew that you were really a girl though...

This is a great idea, can't wait for more finishes, or even a 'raw' offering where the user could finish themselves for a further reduced price.

Congrats to Ludwig for the Award this year. I think this is cool. Sorry Mr.Gretsch.
I bought the Taye Metalworks pedal the year it one best in show and have not had one problem with it.

Les I can see this leading to complete DIY sets with normal lugs and hardware and unfinished shells. Why not? I bought all of the parts to build my picollo snare and they did the drilling and beds so all I had to do was the finish and install parts.

Congrats to Ludwig for the Award this year. I think this is cool. Sorry Mr.Gretsch.
I bought the Taye Metalworks pedal the year it one best in show and have not had one problem with it.

Les I can see this leading to complete DIY sets with normal lugs and hardware and unfinished shells. Why not? I bought all of the parts to build my picollo snare and they did the drilling and beds so all I had to do was the finish and install parts.

Yeah, was my fantasy idea for an upstart drum co, someone take the idea and run with it please. Raw shells nested/shipped in one box, holes drilled or not, hardware sets vacuum packed in the same box, standardized lug/spur/mount/etc hole spacing tho different design hardware, order everything ala cart. Offer finishes.

Run it like CARVIN, direct from the warehouse, no store outlets.

Yeah, was my fantasy idea for an upstart drum co, someone take the idea and run with it please. Raw shells nested/shipped in one box, holes drilled or not, hardware sets vacuum packed in the same box, standardized lug/spur/mount/etc hole spacing tho different design hardware, order everything ala cart. Offer finishes.

Run it like CARVIN, direct from the warehouse, no store outlets.
There's companies that already pretty much do that. It's fine, it works, but everything moves even closer to the generic. That's fine too, but ultimately doesn't move anything forward, just the price downward. At least the Signet has some identity rather than some shells with parts from the Asian components bin thrown at it.

There's companies that already pretty much do that. It's fine, it works, but everything moves even closer to the generic. That's fine too, but ultimately doesn't move anything forward, just the price downward. At least the Signet has some identity rather than some shells with parts from the Asian components bin thrown at it.

I don't see it being done in an affordable way, generic sells, especially in this economy. Its an 'expandable' idea, or should be seen that way, like any idea. The cost is always going to be in the metal work and finishing, SIGNET 105 goes a little left of that, but can only go so far because of.

The finish is molded with the other plies to make the shell - it's the 7th ply. Apart from the material cost, there's no extra labor cost to 'apply' to the shell. I doubt that a raw shell would really save significant money, and I certainly wouldn't be interesed in finishing or otherwise having to protect it from dirt and smudges.

I don't know if there will be other finishes available. These are Sonor finishes, and if they have additional options, they could become Ludwig options down the line if the Signet is a success.

I wonder if they can come up with more sizes, maybe a shell bank where the buyer can order pieces and sizes?

Most of the drums are available separately, and there's an 8" tom as well. For some reason, the 20" kick isn't listed. No odd sizes though, it's 8/10/12/14/16 for toms. Kinda like Brady! :)

Bermuda

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Sorry the picture is not so great. I had my daughter hanging off my one arm he whole time. They look nice in person.

So, does that mean the 7th ply isn't America made?

I don't know, although just because Sonor uses them, I don't assume they're from Germany (or China!) I only mentioned Sonor because they're known for them. They're apparently not exclusive to either Sonor or Ludwig, as Truth has used at least one of the finishes (Alpine Blue) on their drums.

Bermuda

Does anyone know how deep the 20" bass drum that comes with the 3 piece is?

It's not listed in Ludwig's pdf, or the sites that have them for sale.

Bill,

It's 15" deep. See the first post in this thread.

Let me verify all the sizes on my drums, I know there are some discrepancies on Ludwig's literature, and MF/GC's info.

Bermuda

Slightly reminiscent lugs, they probably came from the same plant in Taiwan!

However I do think the S in S Class looks like the S in Signet! Sorta like Slingerland too!

Bermuda

Last edited:
Tom size update

Here's an update on the tom sizes - Ludwig's flyer says one thing, their price sheet says another, MF/GC apparently says another. Here's what they actually are, the same as the price sheet:

GigaBeat:
8.5x12
14x14
15x20

TeraBeat:
8x10
8.5x12
16x16
16x22

There's also a 7x8" tom available, but I can't verify the depth.

Bermuda

I really like this approach in theory....and thanks for the first hand insight and comments. I spend a great deal of time every year at the ludwig monster booth...it is right down the street from my client's booth. This year I had an unfortunate run-in with an old water heater and did not make it to namm, so this is very cool.

Back