Single or double ply?

xMannequiNx

Im lookin into buying a new bass drum batter head, right now I have the evans EMAD head but that damn plastic ring started cracking - when i tore it off it made the drum sound aweful :(

so I was wondering what the difference was between the single and double ply heads. I have a PDP Cx series set 22" bass and the stock PDP reso head on it, and I want to make the drum have a rather clicky sound to it, but still have the bass thump (i play mostly metal/hardcore/punk stuff).

The only heads I have ever used have been the remo powerstroke 3 and the EMAD, and I was never perfectly happy with both.

Well, I just replaced my Emad on my CX kit with the Emad2. Not so sure if I like it as much as the single ply original Emad. It is most definitely deader in tone. I have not had much time to mess with it enough to say "I don't like it". But, it is easier to get a warm sustained note out of the single ply. I think if you are micing the kick the two ply Emad2 will sound great. I am still trying to get used to it and the verdict is still out for me.

Double play will probably be better for metal, it has more of that slap sounding attack, well at least in my ears. However the consequence is that the head will have a different rebound which may take some getting used to.

I have both...

1 ply = punch + tone
2 ply = punch + nothing

Both sound good, the 1 ply sound a bit more open,
if you can qualify a head like that open ; )

Philippe

Remo PowerSonic. Greatest bass drum batter head ever. (in my opinion) I believe it's a two ply. It's kind of like an Evans EMAD, except the muffling consists of two thin rings of foam on the inside, and a removable pillow thingy on the outside.

Back