The legendary Steve Gadd

Thinshells said:
My other hands down Gadd favorite is Simons "Late in the evening" Gadd makes that song!

Yeah, Thinshells, that's a quality tune. Do you have the DVD of that band at the Tower Theatre, 1980 I think it is? It's great. Gadd just looks so damn cool when he plays. And he also looks a terrifying amount like an old British comedy character called Blackadder (played by Rowan Atkinson of Mr Bean fame). There's also a great moment in Late in the evening when some guy leaps to his feet to dance, then realises he can't dance, and looks so awkward...it's painful because it reminds me of me, haha.

Womble

Has anyone here seen Steve Gadd in a clinic. Im going to one of his on Oct.10 and i would like to know what to expect.

I just read in the paper today that Steve Marcus, the sax leader in that video, died on the 25th...

I believe he would of been at PASIC this year.

Steve Marcus, jazz saxophonist, dies

The Associated Press

NEW HOPE, Pa. - Steve Marcus, a jazz saxophonist who recorded and toured with Stan Kenton, Herbie Mann and Buddy Rich, has died. He was 66.

Marcus died in his sleep at his home in New Hope on Sunday, family members said.

He was a pioneer of the jazz fusion movement of the late 1960s, a musical movement that combined elements of rock 'n' roll and jazz.

Born in the Bronx, on Sept. 18, 1939, Marcus attended the Berklee School of Music in Boston, family members said.

"He was one of the players that was able to play main stream jazz and yet cross over into the rock idiom with a completely natural understanding of the music," said fellow saxophonist Andy Fusco, 57.

Marcus was currently touring with the quintet "Steve Smith and Buddy's Buddies," a tribute band to the music of Buddy Rich, said Fusco, a member of the group.

Jazz guitarist Larry Coryell attended the funeral, which was held Tuesday in Valhalla, N.Y.

"Steve Marcus was one of the greatest saxophonists in all of music," Coryell said. "He truly was able to unite jazz with the popular music of the time."

Several of Marcus' recordings have been recently reissued, including "The Count's Rock Band," and "Tomorrow Never Knows," which garnered five stars from Down Beat Magazine when it was released, Fusco said.

Marcus is survived by his wife, Eleanor, and a daughter, Holly.

Gadd can play the simplest thing with a feeling no one else can. He can make of a simple paraddidle a giant and geniouse groove.

Listen to the silence moments in the zildjian days video. He makes the silence "sing".

The more I hear him, solo and in band, the more I respect him and understand he's geniality.

In he's solo's he's able to make music with he's drums.

Gadd maybe can't play a hundred single beats a minute, but the way he creates groove and music with his drums is just increadible.

I hope you'll start liking him after some time.....

Try to listen to him playing with Paul Simon, Michel Patrucciani, etc....

Amazing!

Pedro said:
Gadd can play the simplest thing with a feeling no one else can. He can make of a simple paraddidle a giant and geniouse groove.

Listen to the silence moments in the zildjian days video. He makes the silence "sing".

The more I hear him, solo and in band, the more I respect him and understand he's geniality.

In he's solo's he's able to make music with he's drums.

Gadd maybe can't play a hundred single beats a minute, but the way he creates groove and music with his drums is just increadible.

I hope you'll start liking him after some time.....

Try to listen to him playing with Paul Simon, Michel Patrucciani, etc....

Amazing!

Yep! I feel that's eactly what makes Gadd one of the greatest players of all time, making the silence inbetween the notes "sing", weither it be 32 notes or whole notes, there is that space, that makes the groove flow forward...

I think that's becasue Gadd plays the notes and God plays the silence.

Because I am an atheist and a Buddhist, I hope that no one is offended by me commenting on this, but I just have to say that this was incredibly touching to me:

andmoreagain said:
Gadd plays the notes and God plays the silence.
What a beautiful sentiment.

Re: Steve Gadd video - Crazy Army

yeah I like it. it's just that I'm missing one thing and that's a button to switch the audio off. I can't listen to music and visit the site at the same time this way.

Womble said:
Also Finn, do you really think Weckl showed more chops on that video than Vinnie?? I can't see that. The stuff Vinnie executed there is in a different league of difficulty to what Weckl plays.

Oops, just found this. No, I don't think Weckl had more chops on display than Vinnie. I just don't think he had as much fire - The thing that is most notable about Weckl on that video is his chops, while Vinnie has energy coming out of his ears which kind of distracts you from the fact that he's also playing some the trickiest stuff on the planet. Gadd has groove a mile deep, which I must admit I do slightly prefer to either of the other approaches - I like Vinnie better when he's a bit more groove-heavy rather than the constant explosive approach seen on that 3-way battle thing.

Its probably his movement and passion that makes him such a stand out...
pluse, his grooves are awsome :)

Does anyone know if Dr. Gadd has recorded with the great sax player 'Ernie Watts'? If you could let me know which CD's they both would be on it would be great. I'm pretty sure they have crossed paths as their discographys show very similar artists.

Womble said:
Yeah, Thinshells, that's a quality tune. Do you have the DVD of that band at the Tower Theatre, 1980 I think it is? It's great. Gadd just looks so damn cool when he plays. And he also looks a terrifying amount like an old British comedy character called Blackadder (played by Rowan Atkinson of Mr Bean fame). There's also a great moment in Late in the evening when some guy leaps to his feet to dance, then realises he can't dance, and looks so awkward...it's painful because it reminds me of me, haha.

Womble

I have ordered it...now that I know it exists...thanks!

jamndrummer said:
I believe he would of been at PASIC this year.

Steve Marcus, jazz saxophonist, dies

The Associated Press

NEW HOPE, Pa. - Steve Marcus, a jazz saxophonist who recorded and toured with Stan Kenton, Herbie Mann and Buddy Rich, has died. He was 66.

Marcus died in his sleep at his home in New Hope on Sunday, family members said.

He was a pioneer of the jazz fusion movement of the late 1960s, a musical movement that combined elements of rock 'n' roll and jazz.

Born in the Bronx, on Sept. 18, 1939, Marcus attended the Berklee School of Music in Boston, family members said.

"He was one of the players that was able to play main stream jazz and yet cross over into the rock idiom with a completely natural understanding of the music," said fellow saxophonist Andy Fusco, 57.

Marcus was currently touring with the quintet "Steve Smith and Buddy's Buddies," a tribute band to the music of Buddy Rich, said Fusco, a member of the group.

Jazz guitarist Larry Coryell attended the funeral, which was held Tuesday in Valhalla, N.Y.

"Steve Marcus was one of the greatest saxophonists in all of music," Coryell said. "He truly was able to unite jazz with the popular music of the time."

Several of Marcus' recordings have been recently reissued, including "The Count's Rock Band," and "Tomorrow Never Knows," which garnered five stars from Down Beat Magazine when it was released, Fusco said.

Marcus is survived by his wife, Eleanor, and a daughter, Holly.

That is sad. He was an *extremely* talented musician in one of the best bands in the world. He was a "saxophonists saxophonist" a consummate musician and a great loss. If there was a counterpart to Buddy on the sax, Steve was it.

DogBreath said:
Here's Steve with one of his favorite DrummerWorld moderators:

I hope that's original and not a photoshopped event. How aware of Drummerworld is the almighty Gadd? Just to have him say a few words and grace this forum would brighten my YEAR.

Steve must know that he is royalty among drummers. His Yamaha kit is a temple of staggering proportion. The day that he leaves us, it is because God wants a personal drummer for himself.

I hope that's original and not a photoshopped event THINSHELLS
Originally Posted by DogBreath
Here's Steve with one of his favorite DrummerWorld moderators:

And Bernhard REALLY DID NOT go to PASIC-JKB, All those photos were done with Photoshop :) LOL It's all an illusion.

Last edited:
Thinshells said:
I hope that's original and not a photoshopped event. How aware of Drummerworld is the almighty Gadd?
Yes it's a real picture of us, and yes Dr. Gadd is very aware of DrummerWorld. We may consider him to be royalty, but he is the most down-to-earth guy you'll ever meet.

Back