Bass Drume head/tuning?

I have one more "old skewl" trick up my sleave to calm down the front head a bit. I'll post pic's of what the will be later tonight for everyone's review and criticism...

Re: Bass Drum head/tuning?

Don't tell me an old Deadringer foam ring. That's all I can think of besides shredded newspaper (PITA though)!
A felt strip is too easy a guess haha!

The Deadringers actually worked really well if they weren't right at the edge of the head/shell.

Big, fat sound, and open too, with out any "boing" if you tensioned tighter.
Pretty much an EMad without the tray holding the ring in.

I think Yamaha has a product for marching bass drums that is that stuff. Kinda like extra wide stick on foam weather stripping.

Just a stab in the dark!

Re: Bass Drum head/tuning?

Don't tell me an old Deadringer foam ring. That's all I can think of besides shredded newspaper (PITA though)!
A felt strip is too easy a guess haha!

The Deadringers actually worked really well if they weren't right at the edge of the head/shell.

Big, fat sound, and open too, with out any "boing" if you tensioned tighter.
Pretty much an EMad without the tray holding the ring in.

I think Yamaha has a product for marching bass drums that is that stuff. Kinda like extra wide stick on foam weather stripping.

Just a stab in the dark!

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Stick on foam weather stripping. I used if for years before we had the Emad's and Super kick's etc. I may even take out the 1" foam that I just put in if all goes as planned.

73134348.jpg

68153923.jpg

93835236.jpg

99034407.jpg

VIDEO

Looks good! The White is a lot nicer than those old Black Deadringers.

Sounds a bit deeper with the ring, but there's still a slap sound from the beater on the patch. Could be the room--can't tell what your ears actually hear from a vid.
It probably sounds full and massive.
If you run it through a PA, you'll dial in or out what you want anyway, so if it sounds cool to you, then it's great.

Now you can make your own EMad/PS3 type, and save money by buying a regular head!

Looks good! The White is a lot nicer than those old Black Deadringers.

Sounds a bit deeper with the ring, but there's still a slap sound from the beater on the patch. Could be the room--can't tell what your ears actually hear from a vid.
It probably sounds full and massive.
If you run it through a PA, you'll dial in or out what you want anyway, so if it sounds cool to you, then it's great.

Now you can make your own EMad/PS3 type, and save money by buying a regular head!

Yeah it was deeper before and honestly I liked it better. I have no idea how to get rid of the slap. It's a standard felt-faced mallet in the kick pedal...

Quick question turbojerk, Did your drum shop or their distributor allow you to hold onto your current bass drum while rectifying your problem?

Dennis

Should I mention the two PS3s again, or do you want to keep working with what you have.

It's the beater patch you have.

A clear PS3 will give the same slap if it has that type of patch on it.
A COATED wouldn't (on this shell), but a clear will.

With 2 ringed heads, YOU hear a lower tone behind the kit, but inside the drum, you're getting more mids and not a balance of high, mid and lows. AND you can get the dreaded "basketball" sound from mic in a totally open, smooth cylinder.

So, I still recommend the foam in the bottom and a un-muffed front head. But people can do what they want, and it depends on where you're playing too.
It's different for "at home" playing, and a live setting with a PA and whatnot.

I just know it works for me (on any drum I've done it on), and it takes less than a minute at shows for a FOH to get my drum "dialed in" (and it's a 20x26 on top of it) and we aren't getting pimped for sound checks. I've gotten "I'm in love" from one sound guy, and the mad scientist grins from a few others when they hear it.

When we recorded, it took no time at all to get the drum sounds--and it sounds really cool (if I do say so myself!). I'd put up a song, but for some reason they don't seem to take.

Blahbityblahblah...the foam and plain front head works.

I sent you a PM about the patch Turbo.

Stick is going to get a totally different sound and reaction to tuning because of the Saturn shells.
His bass drums DO sound real nice (check out his site). But it's a different shell with more low end "built in", so any "smack" of a beater is going to sound a little fuller than a regular Maple shell. Plus, I think his shells are also 20" deep (and that's the "magic" depth for me) which gets a softer audible beater smack compared to a shorter shell within the total BD sound.

Sorry if this was long--not trying to be a dick or anything.

It's the beater patch you have.

A clear PS3 will give the same slap if it has that type of patch on it.
A COATED wouldn't (on this shell), but a clear will.

With 2 ringed heads, YOU hear a lower tone behind the kit, but inside the drum, you're getting more mids and not a balance of high, mid and lows. AND you can get the dreaded "basketball" sound from mic in a totally open, smooth cylinder.

So, I still recommend the foam in the bottom and a un-muffed front head. But people can do what they want, and it depends on where you're playing too.
It's different for "at home" playing, and a live setting with a PA and whatnot.

I just know it works for me (on any drum I've done it on), and it takes less than a minute at shows for a FOH to get my drum "dialed in" (and it's a 20x26 on top of it) and we aren't getting pimped for sound checks. I've gotten "I'm in love" from one sound guy, and the mad scientist grins from a few others when they hear it.

When we recorded, it took no time at all to get the drum sounds--and it sounds really cool (if I do say so myself!). I'd put up a song, but for some reason they don't seem to take.

Blahbityblahblah...the foam and plain front head works.

I sent you a PM about the patch Turbo.

Stick is going to get a totally different sound and reaction to tuning because of the Saturn shells.
His bass drums DO sound real nice (check out his site). But it's a different shell with more low end "built in", so any "smack" of a beater is going to sound a little fuller than a regular Maple shell. Plus, I think his shells are also 20" deep (and that's the "magic" depth for me) which gets a softer audible beater smack compared to a shorter shell within the total BD sound.

Sorry if this was long--not trying to be a dick or anything.
Sorry. Not trying to be a pain. It just worked out so simple with my bass drums. I know they are all not going to be the same. By the way, don't say you like the deep bass drum out loud. The other folks won't like that. :)

Quick question turbojerk, Did your drum shop or their distributor allow you to hold onto your current bass drum while rectifying your problem?

Dennis

Yeah there was no problem with me using it while in between. Really though what other option do they have? I have other kits to back me up in my case but I'm sure that some people only have one. They can't expect anyone to sit on ther duff for 6-8 weeks waiting on a replacement...

Just FYI,

I played my first gig with this kit last night. I had my Son do the sound check and the bass sounded like a CANNON right out of the gate! I'm REAL pleased with it and the sound tech had nothing but good things to say about my tuning on the whole kit... He actually said that he did very little knob twisting with my kit vs. the 2 other kits used last night.

Back