Who says unions aren't great?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Well, as an AFTRA member, I was a little skeptical about last year's merger with SAG, wondering how it would apply to what I do and what I'd get for the extra membership dues. In the last week or so, I got my answer - free movies!!

sagdvds.jpg

I'm not sure why I'm suddenly on the list to consider Oscar nominees, I don't think I'm a voting member, but I'll take them anyway! I just hope they don't send Jack Reacher!! Oh wait, these would be the good movies... :)

Bermuda

As a member of IATSE and the AFM, what's an AFTRA? And maybe you are a voting member for the Oscars! Maybe that's a perk! I know an older gentleman here at Disney who has been voting for the Oscars since the 80s - they send him all the movies and a big packet to fill out.

The American Federation of Television and Radio Artists.:)

I'm still in a union.Its called the NYPD/ DEA.The Detectives Endowment Association.Not quite in the entertainmant industry,but not bad either,and we have health benefits.:)

Steve B

Nice, Bermuda! If only the local AFM offered such perks!

To answer your question, without getting political, the people who don't think unions are great are people who don't understand what unions are about. I've talked with many people who are against unions, who spout the "talking points" they've heard, and don't have any real concept about what it means to be in a union, or know what unions actually do (besides "destroy America" and "take away our freedom" and other nonsense...) They also show strong resistance to listening to somebody talk about the good points of unions, as if by hearing about unions from somebody who actually has a clue about them, they might learn something or...*gulp*...*gasp*...change their mind on the issue. Maybe they're just upset because they didn't get to vote for the Oscars.

Nice, Bermuda! If only the local AFM offered such perks!

To answer your question, without getting political, the people who don't think unions are great are people who don't understand what unions are about. I've talked with many people who are against unions, who spout the "talking points" they've heard, and don't have any real concept about what it means to be in a union, or know what unions actually do (besides "destroy America" and "take away our freedom" and other nonsense...) They also show strong resistance to listening to somebody talk about the good points of unions, as if by hearing about unions from somebody who actually has a clue about them, they might learn something or...*gulp*...*gasp*...change their mind on the issue. Maybe they're just upset because they didn't get to vote for the Oscars.

My issue isn't necessarily with workers in a union, but the corruption of the union leadership. The fact that most unions vote one party only adds to my issues. My father refused to join the teacher's union, but still had to pay union dues. That is absolutely anti-American. Everyone should have a choice to join or not join. The bad stuff I've seen happen during strikes is also an indication of thuggery within the union leadership.

My issue isn't necessarily with workers in a union, but the corruption of the union leadership. The fact that most unions vote one party only adds to my issues. My father refused to join the teacher's union, but still had to pay union dues. That is absolutely anti-American. Everyone should have a choice to join or not join. The bad stuff I've seen happen during strikes is also an indication of thuggery within the union leadership.

^^This. Believe me, I'm not talking politics when I say this is why I'm not happy about having to be part of the two unions I'm in. Apparently, I give them money and they don't represent me or my views at all. That's all I'm going to say on the subject (sorry).

My issue isn't necessarily with workers in a union, but the corruption of the union leadership.

Union leaders ain't Robinson Crusoe there. They are, however, less wealthy and therefore less able to cover their tracks than corrupt industrialists, which probably doesn't do their image much good.

Union leaders ain't Robinson Crusoe there. They are, however, less wealthy and therefore less able to cover their tracks than corrupt industrialists, which probably doesn't do their image much good.

I think some of the major union presidents make pretty good money. But I also don't want to drag this thread into a political forum, so I'll bow out as well. :)

The needs of the many,outweigh the needs of the few or the one.You can't put a price on parody or collective bargaining.

You have to understand that the entity your union is dealing with is way more corrupt than the union you belong to.The're just meeting on more even terms,without the preamble.All the cards are on the table.It may not be right.....but it's just the way it is.

Steve B

I think some of the major union presidents make pretty good money.

Probably true, too. Thing is, has there been a time in history or any society where the leadership was sincere and honest - who always put the people they governed first and didn't engage in deals or nepotism? From tribal times ...

Actually, that's not a rhetorical question - I really am curious to know if there's ever been a time in history or a place where the leadership's been completely clean? The closest I can think of is Google :)

Bermuda, my mother in law is an actress with a SAG card and she gets those movies as well. its for the SAG awards voting consideration, not the oscars.

Unfortunately the AFM-- in the NW, at least, seems to be interested only in the classical scene. I wish they were more ambitious about expanding their influence into the club scene-- preferably by lobbying for legislation to bolster it, in partnership with themselves. Government policy does make a difference with that kind of thing, and they're the ones in the best position to promote it. I'd join in a minute if they were actually interested in doing anything at all with my corner of the business.

My issue isn't necessarily with workers in a union, but the corruption of the union leadership. The fact that most unions vote one party only adds to my issues. My father refused to join the teacher's union, but still had to pay union dues.

Well, yeah, because the union is negotiating for benefits on his behalf. Unless you're in a so-called right-to-work state you are not allowed a free ride. Unions support parties that work in their interests, and right now only one party is doing that even part of the time.

Bermuda, my mother in law is an actress with a SAG card and she gets those movies as well. its for the SAG awards voting consideration, not the oscars.

Thanks, I'm new to the SAG side, in the same boat as those members who suddenly wonder what AFTRA is all about! I still wonder at times, too!

Seriously, since this thread has kinda turned into one about unions - not my intention, btw - I will give them props for all of the re-use and royalty payments that AFTRA and AFM make sure I get, not to mention the annual specialty fund payments. :)

Bermuda

My union, the Writers Guild of America, West, has made sure that I was well-paid for every damn thing I've ever written (no one would even dare ask for something for free), has the best pension plan in the country, and health insurance that's even better.

If drummers were writers we'd all have even wider smiles.

I rented a room off a guy and his wife back in the 90's. He is a handyman who works up in the Hollywood Hills all the time. He would bring those "For Your Consideration" movies home in big brown shopping bags now and then. (back then we used VHS tapes).

Im curious about musicians guilds...are you restricted from taking a job that is not assigned by your specific union?

Back