Craigslist Advice (scam?)

So im selling a drumset on craigslist and im a little confused on one of the responses i got.
the first email he sent me (at 3:40 am) was simple enough-

"i will like to purchase this asap,please get back to me."

So i emailed him back this morning after getting it, and about 10 minutes later i have this-

"Okay thanks for getting back to me on time, I'm okay with the
condition i saw on craigslist and the price i'm not going to be
around to come look at it before the purchase as i'm so busy for now
and am purchasing it for my new music school am trying to set up. My
mode of payment is via bank check which you will have to send to me
your full name and address and phone number for it to be mailed to
you as soon as possible. My shipper will come for the pick up as soon
as payment is certified. Also I will be adding an excess to the
payment that will be sent to you which you will assist me in sending
the the balance to my shipper for their service charge. I'm asking
you to do this for me cos my schedule for now is very tight and I need
to get this for the music school asap.I really need this, quite
important and urgent. I will be more than glad if it can be sold to
me. Email me back with a name, address and your phone number for the
check, write back soon. Regards.

Ps. Am offering extra $20 to the asking price."

Im not really sure about it, I havent sent him anything back yet. One thing is that it starts off like some other scam i saw somebody post on here- person is busy, willing to pay for somebody else to pick it up, among other things.. but i thought scammers were more into money wiring, or transfer or whatever thats called. not bank checks, which he "says" he'll wait for payment to be verified. Or does it not really matter? And the information hes asking for isnt too important.

Another thing is that he says that hes alright with the condition he "saw" in the post. But i didnt post any pictures in it. youd think he'd at least want to see it.

Anyways, i know a lot of you guys are wise and more experienced than me, and yalls opinions or how youd go about this would be very appreciated.

I've been the recipient of this scam email for EVERY listing I've ever had on CL. Ignore it :)

Awesome, ive never really sold things on craigslist so this is (obviously) the first time ive seen it. I was reading over it again and i noticed that he asked for my name, address and phone number... the phone number i already had out there in the ad? and each email was sent with the same base name but different email addresses, so there were some more red flags.

Anyways, thanks for telling me youve had these on all your ads. i should be expecting some more like this right? haha.

Its a scam. Bobdadrummer posted on exactly the same scam a couple of weeks ago. Do a search and you'll find the thread and how the scam works.

Every thing I have sold on CL resulted in emails like this.

When I do sell anything....it's always local for me. Same with buying.....I buy locally or not at all.
I bought my second kit off CL after many emails and conversations on the phone with the seller.

Almost any time a bank check, shipper and them wanting your info....is a scam.

So im selling a drumset on craigslist and im a little confused on one of the responses i got.

So i emailed him back this morning after getting it, and about 10 minutes later i have this-

Im not really sure about it, I havent sent him anything back yet. One thing is that it starts off like some other scam i saw somebody post on here- person is busy, willing to pay for somebody else to pick it up, among other things.. but i thought scammers were more into money wiring, or transfer or whatever thats called. not bank checks, which he "says" he'll wait for payment to be verified. Or does it not really matter? And the information hes asking for isnt too important.

Another thing is that he says that hes alright with the condition he "saw" in the post. But i didnt post any pictures in it. youd think he'd at least want to see it.

Anyways, i know a lot of you guys are wise and more experienced than me, and yalls opinions or how youd go about this would be very appreciated.

When I sell (or buy) anything on CL, if the other person strays at all from the "meet me in a public place with cash in broad daylight" response then I don't even bother. Gotta be a scam.

This is a variation on a common scam. Do not reply or take any action. The idea is for you to get the check, cash it, wire the money, and then you will find out the check is bogus... meaning you owe the amount plus all the fees and charges.

Agreed with the other posters: Craigslist is an in-person, cash-only sort of marketplace. I always post in my ads that I will only do transactions in person for cash. I then quote several well-known scam methods to show that I shouldn't be messed with.

I've sold stuff on CL before and only had one response that seemed shady, so I passed on it. This one doesn't come close to passing the sniff test.

I sold a snare off CL a couple weeks ago. I didn't get any hits locally (the whole reason I use CL), but I did get a guy in the midwest who wanted it. I was nervous about that but I talked to him on the phone and he really wanted my snare (he had to have a Sensitone brass). He told me I could either put it on eBay and he'd snatch it up, or we could just use a PayPal transfer and skip the eBay fees (which only would have been mine to pay). I wasn't sure how everyone would be protected but he said that PayPal has buyer protection, too, so nobody could get screwed. Hmmm, I didn't know that.

So he dropped my full asking price plus shipping into my account and I sent it off to him that day.

Doncha love happy endings?

Thanks for the answers guys, this is why i wanted to post my question here. Yall are great.

And i had read a thread that posted something similar to what i had, but with the variations in it i just wanted to see if anyone else had seen it and what yall thought, and now i am all the more wiser.

This is a scam.....The check will be a bad check and then, when you find out, your item will be long gone and you will have incurred overdraft fees from your bank because you thought that you had money because of this bogus check. Reply that you will only accept cash at a public meeting place. Then if he wants to pay you the extra $20, it is a tip.

Be careful out there on CL!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw

Last edited:
Back