Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: INTRODUCTIONS - Please us this thread to introduce yourself

Hi everyone. There's a film of me playing and yakking whilst on tour in South Africa last year http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=12784456211

real name? Mark Huggett

age? Classic

how long been playing? 30 years

origin of user name? seemed like a good idea at the time

top 5 drummers? Art Blakey, Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Tony Allen, Billy Cobham

make of drumkit? Yamaha 9000R with a DW bronze snare

make of cymbal? Zildjian

where do you practice? At home on my Bill Sanders practice kit

are you in a band/s? Oh Yes

covers or originals? Both

what style of music? World Jazz, Blues, Ska, Rock

favourite take out food? Curry

country? England

one really odd fact about yourself? Jammed with Mark Anthony Turnage when I was 16

how did you start drumming? Older brothers are drummers

I'm looking forward to checking out peoples stuff

ATB Mark

Last edited:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

real name- Matt
age -28
how long been playing -18 years
origin of user name - I have a pretty decent size beard. I ususally am never seen without one.
top 5 drummers - Keith Carlock, Billy Martin, Jojo Mayer, Billy Cobham, and Art Blakey
make of drumkit - walnut stain 60's Slingerland 4-piece, Gretsch Catlina Birch.
make of cymbal? Sabian Hats, HHX Ride, 60's A zildjian 20". Zildjian K Istanbul 20" from 50's. various crashes and chinas.
where do you practice? Basement of my house, band practice area in guitar players home.
are you in a band/s? Among Thy Valiant Sons
covers or originals? Original Music
what style of music? Experimental Indie
favourite take out food? Chinese
country? U.S.
one really odd fact about yourself? I feel that buying a ride cymbal is on par with picking a wife/girlfirend.
how did you start drumming? started in school band in 4th grade. listened to my dads AC/DC, The Who, and Boston LP's.

Last edited:

real name? Robert Janson
age? 20
how long been playing? 3 years
origin of user name? It's my surname...
top drummers? Weckl, Dominic Howard, Micael Öberg, loads more
make of drumkit? Shopping for one right now...
make of cymbal? Zildjian K and K Custom
make of snare? 70's Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14
where do you practice? Shared rehearsal space, beat up Pearl Exports..
are you in a band/s? Might be Trifle, pop-punk/ska kind of band. Think NOFX, Rancid but a bit more ska.
covers or originals? One or two covers, mostly originals
country? Sweden
one really odd fact about yourself? Still haven't owned a drum kit
how did you start drumming? learned some at school when I was about 15, finally had to learn drums when forming a band in high school, 5 years ago or so. we were all guitarrists but someone had to learn to play the only proper instrument. :)

I'm a full time mechanical engineering student shopping around for a nice kit. a 18" kick kit would work perfectly with my taste in big cymbals, keeping the kit tight and low is my melody. Also looking to learn more on the subject of music theory and drum notes, etc, as well as expanding my horizons with more jazz and groove based music.

real name? Joy

age? 51

how long been playing? Since December 20, 2007

origin of user name? Used to be a welder at one time

top 5 drummers? Matt Abts, Steve Gadd, Steve Jordan, Ringo Starr, Rick Allen

make of drumkit? Yamaha Rydeen

make of cymbal? mix of Sabian and Zildjian

where do you practice? my living room

are you in a band/s? no

what style of music? just about anything that sounds good to me

country? USA

one really odd fact about yourself? I've ridden an elephant

how did you start drumming? Just decided to go for it before I was dead

This seemed like as good a place as any to post this, so here goes.

I'm getting back into drumming after many years away. Like many drummers my age, I started playing after hearing "The Spirit of Radio" on the radio way back in high school. I thought Peart's playing was the coolest thing I'd ever heard.

Also, a friend of mine's brother played the drums and I watched him play along to Zeppelin's "Living Loving Maid" and it looked liked so much fun, so I bought his old crappy kit for $75 bucks and banged away for a few months. (interesting sidenote: he also turned his little cousin onto drumming at a really young age when he was visiting Illinois from San Diego - that little cousin is Atom/Adam Willard from Rocket from the Crypt and whatever band he plays for now).

After my first lesson, I improved immensely overnight and continued w/ the lessons for about a year. I 'm left-handed and was playing a left-handed set-up, but once I started lessons, my teacher had me play on a righty kit - I'm really glad he did! Not being able to sit in would be the worst. I wasn't the greatest student in terms of practicing - I didn't have the patience for the books/rudiments, so I pretty much would just play along to Rush records with my headphones on. Got to be pretty good, but only in a one-trick-pony kind of way. Played classic rock covers in a few bands during high school, but didn't play much after that. I could always hold my own if I sat in, but always knew I could be so much better.

Probably the coolest things that happened to me in the last 10 years were getting the chance to play with Rick Neilsen from Cheap Trick and sitting in on Matt Chamberlain's kit during sound check. I'm from Cheap Trick's hometown and I was in a dive bar/restaurant my friend's family owns and Rick requented the place from time to time. He walks in, decides he wants to play and asks if anyone plays bass and drums. I sheepishly said "I play drums" and the cook played bass, so we get up on stage with the house gear and jammed for 45 minutes. He's so cool - he picks up the guitar, fiddles around with it for about 10 seconds and goes to town. Amazing experience.

I got to sit in on Chamberlain's kit during a tour with Fiona Apple. My cousin drove one of the tour buses and introduced me to the band. I hung out w/ Matt for about 45 minutes on the tour bus as we watched a VH1 "Behind the Music" episode. Playing a professionally miked kit on stage before a show was SO cool.

Anyway, fast forward to last year and I bought a set of Vdrums (TD12) since I live in a condo. Played whenever I had the chance and just this month have been working on all the things I should have 30 years ago - rudiments, lessons plans with left and right hand leading, etc.

Before, I could only do single stroke, paradiddles and triplet rolls. I never learned a double stroke roll and after one month or practicing rudiments EVERY day (30 minutes minimum) the progress is definitely evident.

Another cool thing is I've been doing the "pay it forward" thing by turning a couple of nine year olds onto drumming -one is my best friend's nephew and the other is a really good friend's son. I loaned one of them my old Sonor kit and bought the other one a used Tama gig kit. They're like sponges with everything drumming now and it's been a great bonding experience. I ride them pretty hard about daily practicing since I don't want them to make the same mistake I did.

I took my first proper kit out of storage and cleaned it up pretty good - it's a Ludwig 6 piece kit from 1968 - wish I'd known vintage drums were going to be so desirable or I would have taken better care of them (yeah right). Don't have the room to store it, so I'm just going to see what I can get for it on craigslist.

Want to get back w/ acoustic drums and want to play w/ other musicians just for fun, so I bought a used Export ELX 4 piece shell pack and a Pork Pie Li'l Squealer 5x12 snare. I still have old Zildjians from the early '80's - 20" inch Deep Ride, 14" Quick Beats (hate them, not very versatile) and a 16" medium-thin crash.

Anyway, Lots of good advice on the board from what I've seen, so I'll be spending a lot of time in the archives section and looking for veteran advice when I decide to upgrade my kit and cymbals

real name? Matt

age? 26

how long been playing? 13/14 years ish

origin of user name? My full name is Matt Chandler and everyone calls me bing soooo Bingthedrummer seemed obvious :)

top 5 drummers? Tre Cool, Tayler Hawkins, Jojo Mayer, John Blackwell, Benny Greb

make of drumkit? Yamaha Stage Custom

make of cymbal? Zildjian A Custom

where do you practice? Practise studio

are you in a band/s? Yes

what style of music? at the moment, live hip hop

favourite take out food? Curry, Lamb Jalfrazi

country? UK

one really odd fact about yourself? I have a scar next to my left eye that looks like a mitsubishi sign

how did you start drumming? Met a guy at school when I was 13 and he played and it blow me away and I decided I want to be able to do that.!

age? 28

how long been playing? 20-ish years

origin of user name? I'm a big concert go-er & I love love love sneaking my way backstage. Once a friend heard my latest backstage glory story...she said, "Well you're just a schemer aren't you?" It stuck.

top 5 drummers? Mark Graalman, Brian Haley, Aaron Tosti, Lori Peters, & whoever played "Son of a preacher man" for Aretha Franklin.

make of drumkit? Pearl Forum

make of cymbal? Zildjian A & a few Sabian.

where do you practice? Home & church

are you in a band/s? My church band

what style of music? Guns & Roses style Praise & Worship...lol...I'm serious.

country? The US.

one really odd fact about yourself? I never leave the house without sunglasses. I cannot & will not defy the sun with my baby blues...lol.

how did you start drumming? I saw a set of drums when I was 8 & I figured I could do it. I thought I was awesome in all of my 8 year old glory...but when I got to 13 I really started getting good.

how long playing? Since I was 10, and have gone back and forth between drums and guitar ever since.
Origin of user name: I have alot of dogs
top 5 drummers: Topper Headon, D.J. Bonebrake, Brendan Canty, Elvin Jones, whoever the drummer is in "Ganger".
Make of Kit: shopping for one now - leaning towards either a Ludwig Classic Maple or Gretsch New Classic
Make of cymbals: Zildjian & Sabian
Where do you practice: practice space
In a band? yes
covers or originals? originals
Style of music: punk/post punk/math rock/indie stuff
Favorite take out food: burrito or thai food
odd fact about self: can't think of anything at the moment...
how did you start drumming: In school you either had to be in the chorus or learn an instrument - I thought singing was for sissys, so opted for an instrument - chose drums because the school's kit was cool looking and sparkly. Got my first kit on my 11th birthday - it was from the pawn shop but it rocked!

I've been around this board for awhile now, but never took the time to fill out the customary "introduce yourself" form. I have a bad a habit of sticking around the forum non-stop for days and then I disappear for months. Sorry guys, it's nothing personal, but I'm an engineering student and I haven't got as much free time to explore the wealth of knowledge here as I'd like to. Thanks everyone for their knowledge and advice! Anyway...

real name Chris
age 22
how long been playing 14 years
origin of user name It's a nickname...
top 5 drummers Manu Katché, John Bonham, Neil Peart, Steve Gadd, Bernard Purdie
make of drumkit I'll probably be playing my 90s Mapex until it dies...
make of cymbal Zildjian all the way!
where do you practice In the garage
are you in a band/s Yes
covers or originals Covers!
what style of music Rock, Blues, Jazz, Country/Bluegrass
favourite take out food Chinese!
country USA
one really odd fact about yourself I can speak German very well (I hesitate using the word 'fluent' because I'm not even sure if I'm fluent in English!) and spent 3 months in Germany last summer working for a construction firm on Ramstein (US) Air Base.
how did you start drumming Answered the call in elementary school

Indroduction- Hi I am new

Hi Friends,

I am a budding drummer who plays along the Who records. I never had a teacher and I know I am not playing by the rules but I was told I play a lot like Keith Moon. I never use hi hats and steady beats.
Recently I am playing along the stones records the Keith Moon style with unpredictable rolls etc.. etc... I guess if Charley Watts know about this he would freak out.

honestly I am no expert but having a lot of fun by playing along The Who records.

Hopefully I will find like minded friends here.

humbly

The Keith Moon.

Re: Indroduction- Hi I am new

welcome to the forum! belive theres some great people on this site,and your gonna learn a lot. best drum source on the net.

welcome to the forum! belive theres some great people on this site,and your gonna learn a lot. best drum source on the net.

Amen to that! And yes welcome to the forum. There is a ton of excellent information here and Bernard and the mods here run a great place to hang and learn. Ive been playing for a number of years now and still learn new stuff. And a lot of that stuff is inspired from information gotten on this forum...

Enjoy yourself here and learn!

Mike

Welcome! I haven't been here long but just the tips, advice, & chats have helped me considerately.

See ya around the forums!

Hello.

Please see my obligatory submission below.

real name Jason
age 38
how long been playing About 25 years
origin of user name It's my last name
top 5 drummers Joe Morello, John Bonham, Chuck Biscuits, Roberto Valverde, Dale Crover,
make of drumkit Roeder - custom maple w/ DW hardware and pedals:
kit1.jpg

make of cymbal Paiste 2002
where do you practice ?? Practice?
are you in a band/s Yes
covers or originals Original
what style of music Original
favourite take out food Mexican
country USA
one really odd fact about yourself I can unplug/decompress my ears at will. I have voluntary muscle control of my inner ears.
how did you start drumming Filled in for a school talent show, after giving up the bass.

I shy away from abusing the term 'drummer' to define what I do behind a drumset but nevertheless... Introducing myself. I'm sure I'll learn a lot here. See you all around!

age 33
how long been playing: since 1987, with intervals.
origin of user name: Nickname, I have a rant from Henry Rollins to thank for it. Used to be Brutus, not much better...
top 5 drummers: Billy Cobham, Ian Paice, John Bonham, Dennis Chambers, Danny Carey, ...
make of drumkit: Pearl, saving up for a new kit (hints welcome ;) )
make of cymbal: Sabian, I keep a Paiste 302 handy for the abuse I wouldn't have my Paragons suffer...
where do you practice: Anywhere dry.
are you in a band/s: Yes, unless they kick me out by the time you read this.
covers or originals: Mostly originals
what style of music: erm... its... rock... I guess. The styles I listen to are: anything except dance, techno, mainstream r&b, reggae and german 'schlagers'.
favourite take out food: Belgian frites!
one really odd fact about yourself: My entire life actually.
how did you start drumming: A band formed in my class and they needed a drummer. And I used to bang on anything cilindrical since childhood, so...

real name Adam
age 17
how long been playing about 7 years
origin of user name uh, it was the best I could think of.. :)
top 5 drummers 1-John Bonham, 2-Nicko Mcbrain, to many others to pick!
make of drumkit "Ludwig" (made in Taiwan : P )
make of cymbal mostly Paiste, but also Wuhan, Factory Metal and Zildjian
where do you practice mah basement
are you in a band/s yep! click here to check us out.
covers or originals 99% originals
what style of music classic rock, heavy metal, swing, latin, folk
favourite take out food ooohhh... Chinese!
country USA
one really odd fact about yourself idk, I am borderline obsessed with aquiring a large Ludwig maple power tom set from the 1980s, but I'm broke. : (
how did you start drumming My interest was piqued when I first listened to my Dad's Beatles CDs at age 6-7, but I didn't start until a few years later.

Re: Newbie Here! :)

have any pics of your kit? what drummers do you enjoy listening to? tell us about yourself!

Andrew

Nick C. here, and notice I didn't spell my full last name 'cause its really long. I'm from SC and right now i can't submit a recording right now because someone is renting a part of our house for a long time.

how long been playing: 5 years
origin of user name : my nickname
top 5 drummers: ?uestlove, steve jordan, clive stubberfield, jabo starks and my others
make of drumkit : Yamaha stage custom
make of cymbal: sabian aax and sabian hand hammered
where do you practice: drumtech london
are you in a band/s : at the min
what style of music: Im an open book when it comes to music, i like anything with SUBSTANCE
favourite : chinese, mexican
how did you start drumming: always been interesting in drumming from a young age but only got a chance when i was 15/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back