Mick Fleetwood

I can't. believe it I just did a thread search and this is the only thread on Mick Fleetwood.just goes to show why I think he is one of the most underrated drummers period.he's dynamics,technique & style is like no other drummer out there plus he had a little affair with Stevie Nicks back when she was still hot.If you listen to any of the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac they had a more raw sound then some of the wishey-washey stuff he did with Lynsey & Stevie.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

If you listen to any of the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac they had a more raw sound then some of the wishey-washey stuff he did with Lynsey & Stevie.

Mick & John McVie were an incredibly tight drums & bass team. "Then Play On" is one of my favorite albums. When I heard "Rattlesnake Shake" I couldn't believe that was the same drummer who played "Don't Stop."

big fan of Fleetwoods playing. Always unpredictable, and totally original. Cant imagine any other drummer doing the snare fills on 'tell me lies'.

Simply amazing ... a band that's been around since 1967. Founded by the drummer, and their only remaining "original" member. 6 posts. Oh well......

Mick played his part, held down the time & for the most part stayed out of the way. He let their tunes speak for themselves. A perfect example of knowing when to use it... It took me a while to appreciate that.

As to why he only has 6 posts, well 7 now, the groove that fleetwood mac had was so good its almost easy not to notice that its there.

I like MF's style. He has a great balance between rock solid tightness and improvised nuances. Sound is great. Taste is great. Enjoyable approach, original ideas and subtle random touches.

I'm not positive but I think he jammed with a 26" stainless Luddie kit back in the prime of Fleetwood Mac area & wasn't. afraid too swat them. That's needs kudos right there LOL

Bonzolead

..... he jammed with a 26" stainless Luddie kit

Correct-a-mundo you are, at least in part. He had a few kits, that I remember, all with big kick drums. But lets face it, the guy is taaaaaaall. He'd make a 22" kick drum set look like a toy kit.

Mick had a great feel about him.

No, he's not that technical. No, his time is suspect. But he make a track just feel like a million bucks.

I highly recommend reading his autobiography. It's very interesting.

Mick's a tribute to true rock origins.

Simple, musical, parts that were important to FW's music in the same way Ringo's playing was to the Beatles. We who play pop and rock have probably unknowinglt been influenced by his parts and playing.

I found it very interesting that in a trade mag interview he stated something to the fact that he couldn't be relied upon to do the exact part in the studio twice. His stuff was in the moment although he would never have survived as a true studio, gun for hire.

Thoughtful but not overly cerebral playing.

Jim

Mr. Fleetwood is feel above technique, makes him unique while playing for the song.

When I was absolutely first learning how to play, I always thought of Mick Fleetwood when I was about to do fills. He was the first (really only drummer) I watched extensively in my development due to my Mom having The Dance on VHS. He's always going to hold a special place for me.

I have struggled with covering the drum parts on every FM tune that I have ever played.
Mick is truly unique.

My fave Mick drum track is "Straight Back" form the Mirage album. Great drum sound and powerful solid playing.

"Hypnotized" is also a great track.

I have struggled with covering the drum parts on every FM tune that I have ever played.
Mick is truly unique.

You are absolutely correct. And he is a blast to watch live. I also have The Dance DVD and play it quite often. I love when they play Tusk and Don't Stop with the USC marching band and there are over a hundred percussion and brass musicians playing along with Mick when he gets up and smacks the gong!

Back