The script isn't terrible, although it could have been a lot better.

At the start I think they milked the 3D wayy too much. "Look at this watter hitting the window from this hose" "Look a golf ball that is rolling towards you" and there were loads more. Small annoyance though, Still a great movie.

They also decided to make all the hispanic lines ridiculous for some reason.

original.jpg

It was a great movie but at the beginning, remember how they said the aliens had skin as strong as bullet proof glass and bones like cement (Paraphrasing, I just remember they said they were very hard to kill). But in the big fight scene at the end they would get shot once and drop. Just something that made me think.

Sounds like pocahontas is also half a Dances with Wolves rip off... Great post, shrink!

what I do really like about science fiction, be it series or movies, is that the creators of science fiction don't only get to create story lines and personas, but also the entire world around them! They did a great job with that in Avatar.

That Huffington Post satire is PERFECT! Love it!

Nonetheless ... I really, really enjoyed the movie :p

I see Avatar as being like Afghan hounds, models, Paiste cymbals and Yes. Their job description is to give us beauty and they leave it to others to provide personality.

Well I had this on my list, but I don't need an animee Dances with Wolves. Seeing that movie once was enough. Thanks for the heads up. And yet it has already made 1 Billion USD worldwide.

The experience is way beyond anything I've seen from Pixar, and that's not knocking Pixar films which are both cute, attractive and plot things slightly less predictably than this one.

I honestly thought Avatar was really clever, how he made up a language and a world that was totally unique. So what if it was similar to Pocahontas. Not to get off topic but take Lord of the Rings for example that movie was a hit, along with Star Wars. These movies share such similarities to one another and even parts of the bible that it's not even funny. Movies like Avatar and Star Wars appeal, I believe, to the raw emotion, dreams, struggles people share as being human. And the story of one individual risking it all to better both species/races/cultures is a story that'll be everlasting due to the fact that it appeals to the raw emotion of compassion.

I don't mean to be preaching to anyone, i just had to let my inner hippie say it's part. It was screaming lol

This movie is highly overrated. Good cgi visuals if that's your thing, but I hate cgi. It still has a ways to go imo. And the writing is horrid. You can tell the good actors (Weaver, Ribissi) were doing their best with the putrid dialog.

And I hope they threw Roger Dean a bone for using alot of visual settings that borrow heavily from his work.

Avatar reminds me of concept video games:

Not necessarily great games, as the story is thin, the gameplay repetitive and the setting meh, but it is technically brilliant. In other words, a product to show off what the underlying technology *COULD* do, to entice others to use it. Sortof like Unreal Tournament 3. Not the best game, by itself. Little to no storyline, multiplayer wasnt groundbreaking and such, but the underlying engine was beautiful. And it went on to bring us games like Gears of War, BioShock, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge and some other lesser known titles.

Avatar seems like a concept movie, showing off the beauty of 3D moviemaking and presentation.

It was so predictable and long, and everyone made it sound like it was the best movie ever. I thought it was pretty bad with great special effects

I just got back from seeing it. I was entertained. Sure, the storyline has been done a hundred times already, but it's a good, solid story. The effects were great, and the 3-D was good when under-played, but at times it was distracting. It doesn't deserve all of the hype around it, but then again, neither did Titanic...

I have many views on this film and they may not all go down well haha!

Firstly I was very critical of this film before I saw it and although my friend said it will be one of the greatest films ever, i disagreed. However I'm not one of these people that refuse to see a film because of hype or other peoples opinions etc or to try and be different and rebel. I try to see as many films as possible to fully understand and appreciate the world of film. So i went with him to see it on the opening day (at an iMax screen in 3D to maximise the experience) and I can honestly say it blew me away. I thought it was amazing and is definitely one of the best films I've ever seen.

The 3D and special effects absolutely amazed me. I'm more than willing to sit back and fully appreciate something as beautiful and astounding as Avatar. You couldn't of had graphics like tis 10 years ago. Once again people who are willing to miss out on such a land mark in special effects because they heard the story line wasn't up to Shakespeare's level are what I'd call 'idiots'.

As for the script/story line, it's not the best ever or the most original but what is. There's a theory that all films can be stripped down to about 5 or 6 different simple story lines. Take The Matrix for example, The protagonists world is not what it seems and is turned upside down, so he joins a rebellion to beat the system. What's new about that. What makes The Matrix special is the details; bullet time, fight scenes, characters etc. Same for Avatar, the difference is in the details. (I have nothing against The Matrix btw, it's one of my favorite films but I just used it as an example).

I'm very passionate about film and study it at uni as well as going to cinema at least once a week, having a large DVD collection and buying/reading movie magazines. I'm not saying this makes me an expert on the matter by any means but I'm just pointing out that I have made my opinions of this film with reference to many factors.

Another criticisms of the film I've heard are 'it's too long', 'I got bored' or 'it's too far fetched'. These people are also idiots who get more excited about whatever crap rom-com Adam Sandler will be in next. I am not even going to go into this matter!

My opinions may ruffle a few feathers haha but it's what i think and you're entitled to you're opinions too even if you're wrong :p

No.. I like some of Camerons older movies(Terminator 1-2, Aliens and Abyss) but after Titanic I refused to see another film. I also think Avatars story is abit thin.

This is the only film he has made since Titanic, which lets be honest isn't an awful movie. There are much, much worse movies being released all the time, and if you happened to catch one of these, you wouldn't look up the director to especially avoid their future releases normally.

No doubt his old work is amazing too though

This is the only film he has made since Titanic, which lets be honest isn't an awful movie. There are much, much worse movies being released all the time, and if you happened to catch one of these, you wouldn't look up the director to especially avoid their future releases normally.

No doubt his old work is amazing too though

Hah, I didnt even know he made Avatar after Titanic. Well, I'm more or less avoiding big blockbuster movies since I saw that god-awful Pearl Harbour movie som years ago. Now I mostly watch Ingmar Bergman, David Lynch and those sort of deeper movies. Last year I tried to watch as many noir movies as possible, but there wasnt that many of them that were any interesting. Sometimes though, It's cool with easy to like movies, but then I pop in some zombie-movies or ace venture. Sort of a guilty pleasure..

freebirdw said:
The 3D and special effects absolutely amazed me.

What amazed me about Avatar was not the 3D, which I took for granted pretty quickly, but its beauty - the scenery, the animals, the Na'vi. My eyes couldn't get enough of it.

Now I mostly watch Ingmar Bergman, David Lynch and those sort of deeper movies. Last year I tried to watch as many noir movies as possible, but there wasnt that many of them that were any interesting. Sometimes though, It's cool with easy to like movies, but then I pop in some zombie-movies or ace venture. Sort of a guilty pleasure..

Oh yeah, David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick - the dark geniuses. Much time for Ridley Scott too. But producers like Peter Jackson and James Cameron have amazing aesthetic sense IMO.

Apparently there's people out there suffering from depression because Pandora isn't real and they will never see it in real life. Poor sods. They're probably the kind of people who shed a tear watching South Park when Kenny gets killed off, but my point is that the film is incredibly visually alluring.

I love spaced-out movies and books; it's refreshing. Like a holiday from reality. I usually prefer to live on Planet Zod anyway, but sometimes reality has its way of forcing itself on you. I get enough reality in life without dealing with more of it in my free time. That's when crazy eye candy like Avatar and the internet are most therapeutic IMO - to bring us humans back to our natural, psychedelic state :)

Back