Best Bassdrum Head

Its like having a pinstripe/pillow package all in one head.
EMAD and Powerstroke PRO are it for me aswell. Have a PS3 with blanket that is the sound for me and gonna get a Powerstroke PRO when I need a new head.
Gonna make a couple of moths happy with that blanket.

The most VERSATILE head, in my opinion, is the coated emperor. All of the heads presented so far have a high degree of muffling/treatment, which is great if you want that focused sound, but if you want a head that does it all and does it all well, I'd go with a coated emperor. You can tune it to be wide open, but the coating softens the attack and rounds out the sound nicely. You can get a warm sound out of it for jazz AND also a low thump out of it for rock, if you tune it. The Powerstrokes give you a certain sound, and the EMADs give you a few certain sounds, and they're GREAT (I use them, too), but as far as versatility goes, you're better off getting a more "open" head that you can tune different sounds out of, and even treat if you have to.

One of the best bass drum sounds ever? Coated Emperor with a stuffed animal crammed between the BD pedal and the head...resourceful man's EMAD

I still swear by the Evans EQ4 batter head and I have it on four of my kits ( three 22" and one 20"). It can cross gender into anything I play. After I get the tension correct on it, all I do is change the pitch of the resonant head for the tone I want.

Dennis

I rocked the PS3 for awhile, I switched to a clear EMAD about a year ago, and it was a game changer. The EMADs are awesome. Its like having a pinstripe/pillow package all in one head.

I bought my kit and it came with an old pin stripe on it. i thought i was going to buy a power stroke but ended up with a EMAD. No regrets at all. It gave me my ideal deep thump i wantedfrom my bass.

I agree with Crucifix here......I was advised that the Aquarian Superkick II was that way to go....so I tried it, and I've never looked back.....nice fat sound....

Back