The Wee Kit (Reprise)

I got a new crash the other week, the Zildjian 20" Crash of Doom, and today I had the chance to play it for the first time. So in the studio where I work, I threw up the much loved 'wee kit' and my new cymbal/some old favourites.
I don't know why I didnt film it, because we had two HD cameras lying around....

Spec

16x something bass drum
12x12 floor tom
14x something (awful) snare drum. This is the snare that the weans bash on, I think its an old Sonor Force.

Zildjian 13" K Mastersound High Hats
Zildjian 20" Oriental Crash of Doom
Sabian 22" Artisan Light Ride

PS: I used the Stanton Moore lemon and salt rub on my cymbals, and it worked an absolute treat on my Artisan. It is both bitter and seasoned at the same time.

Attachments

• DR1.JPG
    DR1.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 915
  • DR2.JPG
    DR2.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 758
  • DR3.JPG
    DR3.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 737
  • DR4.JPG
    DR4.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 790
  • DR5.JPG
    DR5.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 667
That small kit probably sounds wonderful. I'm betting you get a lot of sounds with the interesting cymbal setup you have going on there.

I'm betting you get a lot of sounds with the interesting cymbal setup you have going on there.

Yes, both these cymbals double as crashes and rides. The Artisan sounds great as a crash, it has short decay, really dark, washy, and has a very low pitch. The CoD on the other hand is higher in pitch, trashy and dark.
The CoD, as a ride, could wash out after having a lot of busy hits, but it holds its own at slower tempos.
The Artisan as a ride is perfect (for me), it never washes out, the stick is always got that defined click, even after a good solid crash on the bow.
The only thing they dont offer is a good, solid bell sound.

A crazy drum kit! Yay! I build crazy drum kits - I also have a blog where I feature them. So far, only my kits are on there. Can I add your kit to my blog? Check it out - Crazy Drum Kits! Let me know if I can add pics and a description to my blog. Thanks!

Lemon and salt rub? Can you explain why you did that? That's new to me. There's no tequila mentioned....

Cool, jazz drum set?

I do play a lot of jazz on this kit, but it can take whatever I can throw at it, whatever the style. It might not project as much live, but it has beautiful punch in the studio.

Lemon and salt rub? Can you explain why you did that? That's new to me. There's no tequila mentioned....

Jimmy was kind enough to point you in the direction of this technique coming straight from the horses mouth. I, however, use this rub a bit differently. I mix the salt and lemon together lightly, so the salt doesnt dissolve, and rub it onto the cymbal with a rag, going in circles. If the mix becomes too dry, I put a bit more lemon juice on. I will cover the whole cymbal, top and bottom, leave it for an hour and wipe the salt off. I discovered that if you just clean off the salt, and NOT the residue of the mix, the patina process starts much quicker.
I will also add that I left the cymbals in the car during a really warm day here (28 degrees) and when I took the Artisan out the bag, the patina was wild all over it.

Back