Headphones for Drumming?

I have had Vic Firth (tight, good isolation but no low or high end)

Sennheiser HD-280 (not as good isolation, better lowe and hign end. All around nice)

Klipsch S-4 - THESE are the ones. Awesome sound and major isolation. I can barely hear my drums when i have these on. NOTE - use the xmas tree end and make sure you slowly spin them until they insert all the way in. it will be a bit odd at first. When they are in right the bass and isolation is excellent. Amazing headphones for the price.

I wear Husqvarna ear muffs - the kind you would wear if you used a chain saw or lawn mower - over iPod ear phones...

...is this a good idea, I have heard all this stuff about the iPod type earphones being quite damaging to hearing?

Dennis and I had a little to-and-fro via the PMs over just this subject the other day.

I got some money for Christmas and have been in need of a new pair of isolating headphones for a while. My Shure SE115s have given up the ghost.

I went and re-read this thread and worked out my budget. I wanted to get a good cost/benefit and decided on the Shure SRH440 model. Dennis recommended that I swap out the standard pads for some SRH840 pads (Shure's higher model) to improve isolation.

I am quite happy with them. The bottom is a little heavier than I'm used to but the K701s I usually use are very transparent and have a totally different character. The SRH440s are a little 'darker' sounding but are quite acceptable and I'd be happy to at least do some mixing on them if I got used to them. They seem to block out ambient sound quite well but I can't test quite how well yet because my brother has requisitioned my drum room for a few days.

Shure have hit a good point with these. I bought mine for around £70 and the earpads were £11. That makes them very good value indeed! I suspect the value has a lot to do with Shure being new to the headphone market but so far I have no complaints. Using isolating phones again is going to take some getting used to, though!

I wear Husqvarna ear muffs - the kind you would wear if you used a chain saw or lawn mower - over iPod ear phones...

...is this a good idea, I have heard all this stuff about the iPod type earphones being quite damaging to hearing?

I do this too. Actually I use the protective ear covers that folks at the gun ranges use.
Inside these I use high quality in-ear plugs. I like having both because if you are drumming without listening to music, than you can just use the protective ear muffs to your heart's content.

When I'm recording or doing a drum cover, I put these muffs over the ear plugs.
Word of Caution: Elevated volume levels in most hearing devices will cause damage.
I am cautions about the level I turn up my volume. I don't have to turn it up much because the earmuffs work so well.

Im a DJ and i use Pioneer HDJ2000 for my work and they are fantastic for drumming with as they completely cover the ear and don't act like microphones when its loud

Not cheap but perfect

Back