Challenging show/musical piece for drums?

gusty

Platinum Member
When I say show/musical I mean out of a show or a musical. For school performance, need a challenging show/musical piece for drums to play. Any suggestions? Could be hard since this sort of drumming is about keeping it simple.

Maybe the Buddy Rich West Side Story Medley? Though I could be aiming a bit too high with that one.

When I say show/musical I mean out of a show or a musical. For school performance, need a challenging show/musical piece for drums to play. Any suggestions? Could be hard since this sort of drumming is about keeping it simple.

I second Pollyanna's suggestion of Tommy.

Movin' Out is basically a bunch of Billy Joel covers, and even though the drumming isn't terribly challenging, some of it's pretty fun/interesting.

If you like jazz drumming, a lot of musicals have some big-band swing tunes.

I played JC superstar a couple times. Challenging for younger players because of all the time signature switches. 5/4, 7/8 etc. West Side Story is a good one for drums too. Played that one once. Hair is also good. Tommy is good too.

Does anyone know where I can get a drumless backing track/midi track for a musical? Long shot.....

Back