Cleaning DW 9000/9002

Goreliscious

Anyone ever cleaned the hinge/bearings towards the heel of these pedals? Mine look like they could do with a clean but I remember having a go at undoing the nuts a while back and thinking they were so damn stiff they probably weren't meant to be undone. I used to own some Pearl Eliminators which I took apart and cleaned reguarly but I dunno if you're meant to with DWs so I'm holding fire with the spanner.

I've only cleaned the hinges on my 9002s once. I noticed that the pedal had a little slop moving side to side and when I turned the pedal over I noticed that the screws on the bottom near the heal were loose.

Don't use WD40 or anything that has a solvent in it. You need to use only a lubricant or just blow off the crud and don't worry about it unless the hinge is not moving freely.

Loosening those screws, you should use the biggest Phillips head screwdriver that will fit the screw. It is easy to strip the Phillips head on those. When you screw them back in put a drop of clear nail polish on each and they won't work themselves lose. Don't overtighten.

No, I didn't take the hinge apart, I just got some oil in the gaps.

They are put in with Loctite which is why they are so difficult to get apart. I had to take a long phillips head screwdriver and a crescent wrench on the screwdriver to get enough leverage to break them free. I would recommend using loctite when you put them back together

I've only cleaned the hinges on my 9002s once. I noticed that the pedal had a little slop moving side to side and when I turned the pedal over I noticed that the screws on the bottom near the heal were loose.

Don't use WD40 or anything that has a solvent in it. You need to use only a lubricant or just blow off the crud and don't worry about it unless the hinge is not moving freely.

Loosening those screws, you should use the biggest Phillips head screwdriver that will fit the screw. It is easy to strip the Phillips head on those. When you screw them back in put a drop of clear nail polish on each and they won't work themselves lose. Don't overtighten.

God take this guys advice on the screws I learnt the hard way and had to take it to a metalworks shop to get the screws out, they put the buggers in so tight it's unbelievable it was worth it though for the feel of the straps and to get a lower foot board angle oh boy!

Back