here is a question.

Last week I was driving to work and the person in front of me was driving too fast for the conditions, and hit the guy in front of him when traffic slowed down. The guy that got hit pulled over on the shoulder, but the guy who hit him took off (probably because he didn't have insurance). I tried valiantly to catch up to this guy so I could get his license plate number. I was not successful, because traffic was very heavy, and this idiot was weaving in and out of the lanes to get away, and it was getting way too dangerous. I so wanted to report this person in order for there to be justice. I would hope most people feel the same way, instead of just not wanting to get involved.

What makes you so sure that any normal member of the public is not going to be discriminatory?

Any member of the public? Perhaps. That's why they choose 12 people, so that it's not left up to just one. If a single person's decision was acceptable, the presiding judge would simply decide the case. BTW, a jury's decision is not always final, the judge can overturn it on the spot. And the judge's decision isn't always final... it can be appealed. It can be a lengthy process, but the jury certainly plays an important role.

How can you possibly get a jury together that has not seen the story in the news and had their views altered by that in some way? I don't think a jury makes the process any less discriminatory.

This is where the selection process begins. They don't simply trot in 12 people from the jury pool and they're the jury. Each prospective juror is questioned as to whether they feel they can fairly assess the facts of the case as they'll be presented. Do they know anything about the case, or the persons involved? Do they know, or are they related to any of the persons involved in the case? Typically, the attornies, plaintiff(s), and defendant(s) are present and can dismiss a prospective juror they don't like, without explanation. Could be they don't like their voice, their apparent religion, race, age, gender, the color of their shirt, the way they walked into the jury box or how they sit in their chair, etc. It's more likely you'd get excused from the selection process than end up serving on the case.

Being obstinate or funny or suddenly pointing at the defendant and shouting "he's the one, he did it!" not only gets you off the panel, but into a charge of contempt.

In California, everyone with either a driver license, or who's registered to vote, is eligible to be called for jury duty. There are a few legit reasons which will excuse you from having to show up, and proof is always required. Falsifying such information results in worse penalties that just showing up and giving a day or two or five of your time.

The fine in California for not showing up for jury service is $1500, And according to the law, "In addition, if you are qualified to serve, you will still have to complete jury duty."

Bermuda

Last edited:
I'm 42 and I've only been summoned for jury duty once when I was 25. Luckily I was living in another county and didn't have to serve. I don't think they want people with no party affiliation. I have been registered as N/P (No Party) my almost my whole life as far as voting goes.

The last time I got called for jury duty, I made it as far at getting interviewed by the prosocutor and defense attourney. The defense attourney asked me what I would think if he presented no defense? I said that I understand that it is the prosocution's job to prove the defendant guilty, not the defense's job to prove his innosence. However, I said I though it would not help his case if he presented no argument. I was dismissed. Some old man was dismissed when he said he thought the defendant was guilty, otherwise he would never have been arrested.

I've only been asked to serve on jury duty once, and the dates of the duty conflicted with military orders sending me overseas. I posted a copy of my orders to the issuing court and was released from the duty. Since then, I've been lucky, I guess.

Can you be on a jury if you've broken a law, were caught and found guilty?

I got selected for jury duty, forgot to reply to the letter, forgot to show up for selection
never did anything to reposnd to the inquiry...so far nothing has happened

I'm slightly worried
there's probably a warrant for my arrest now...LOL

I have been called three times, served twice. Both times serving everyone in the jury took the job seriously. 3 day trial, 1.5 days of deliberation. One trial was all done in one day. The third time we reported at 9 AM and at 3 PM we were still being asked questions by the attorneys. This time I was dismissed. I look at it this way. You don't get called often. People died to give me the right for a jury trial, and If I ever need a jury to decide my fate, I would hope they would be serious for at least one week in their life. I liked both times because you really get a chance to see how our system works. Trust me it is not the circus you see on TV shows. Like Calf. if you have a drivers license, a privilege, then you have the obligation, to serve your county, state, or Country. Not waving the flag, but it really doesn't hurt.

I have been called three times, served twice. Both times serving everyone in the jury took the job seriously. 3 day trial, 1.5 days of deliberation. One trial was all done in one day. The third time we reported at 9 AM and at 3 PM we were still being asked questions by the attorneys. This time I was dismissed. I look at it this way. You don't get called often. People died to give me the right for a jury trial, and If I ever need a jury to decide my fate, I would hope they would be serious for at least one week in their life. I liked both times because you really get a chance to see how our system works. Trust me it is not the circus you see on TV shows. Like Calf. if you have a drivers license, a privilege, then you have the obligation, to serve your county, state, or Country. Not waving the flag, but it really doesn't hurt.
Well said. I totally agree!

In Britain you will only get called up if you are on the electoral register and in all honesty I am happy to go forego the privelidge of having a "vote" that will count for nothing because the opposing party's MP always gets elected and due to our outdated election system if your MP doesn't get elected then your vote is completely wasted, in order to not have to waste my time going to court when I've done nothing wrong.

i think it's a privilege to have jury duty
some people see it as a chore, i kinda like the whole idea of it

my only complaint is we don't get turns at being the judge or lawyer

Yep the Judges and Lawyers are a stingy bunch. They never share.

I say we have a Gruntersday celebration once a year in tribute to this post :) Well said. While the only time I was called felt like an inconvenience at first, once I was there, I was proud to do my part and took the job very seriously. I was dismissed but would have served with no problem for the reasons GD says here.

Just tell the Judge that you are a drummer and he will declare you mentally incompetent to serve on a jury.
Simple as that! ;)

Back