Moongel

Osh

Do you put the pad on the inside of the snare or on the outside? I'm worried if I put it on the outside, someone will take it off, not knowing what it is, and if I put it on the inside of the batter head, will it stick in place after a good battering?

I don't know what to do with them, all I know is that I've got horrible ring on my expensive snare and I don't like it!

people generally put moongels on the top of the head

Is it possible to have it on the inside of the batter head? Or will it just fall off?

Yeah... I usually pull them off the drum when packing the drums. That way they don't get lost, and don't dry out.

Do they stick to the drum, or just sit on it?

Do they stick to the drum, or just sit on it?

they just sit on them...they are slightly tacky just so they dont slide all over the skin,but they dont stick as such...you could attach it inside the snare if you wanted,but as soon as you hit teh skin it will fall off....you could put one on the resonant skin,inside the snare tho...

Ah right ok, thank you people. I'll have to get me a pack.

hmmmmm..............a moongel practice pad, eh?

You will probably end up with Popeye forearms in a weeks time! lol.........hey, wait a minute.....that may not be a bad idea..........let me try your first prototype...............please, please, please?

I think that moongel's are rubbish because they dry out really easily and lose their stickyness, they can be lost very easily, they look disgusting on your kit and if you play too hard they just come bouncing off. If you want to dampen your drums, buy a set of remo o-rings they work so much better and dont look nasty on your kit.

I’ve been a big proponent of the moongels for recording in small rooms with bad sound absorption. The key is to stick them on a clean head and leave them. I also prefer the rings, yet in recording applications the rings tend to vibrate against the rim and that buzzing noise can be picked up by the mics. It kinda sounds like when the head of a 57 is a little loose.

Maybe it's because of the humidity down south, but I've left Moongels sitting out for months at a time and they haven't dried out on me. They stay tacky and have never come unstuck unless I take them off.

What I like about them is that you can really adjust how much dampening effect you want from them by where you place them. I'm not a big proponent of muffling or muting, but sometimes you might need to kill just a tiny bit of ring, and I've been able to do that by letting half a moongel drape over the rim and just barely contact the head. I don't know that you could do that with rings or other muffling products. They're very versatile, I find.
I think they're a nice little tool for the arsenal.

and they don't make your drums sound like Tupperware!

i have pro-mark drum gum and they stick, but i think that if you hit the head it would eventually loosen the grip and it would fall off. especially on rather fast rolls.

Id like to try some for my studio work ive got coming up....

how much is a pack (in english pounds)?

and what do you get in a pack, how many pieces?

I think that moongel's are rubbish because they dry out really easily and lose their stickyness, they can be lost very easily, they look disgusting on your kit and if you play too hard they just come bouncing off. If you want to dampen your drums, buy a set of remo o-rings they work so much better and dont look nasty on your kit.

I haven't got moongel for a long time but can say that they work wonders, much cooler looking than rings. I've had rings and with all the packing you'll eventually squeeze one. A dented ring will buzz and becomes annoying. I've switched to thicker heads lately and tuned them up. No gel needed anymore. :)

Id like to try some for my studio work ive got coming up....
how much is a pack (in english pounds)?
and what do you get in a pack, how many pieces?

I paid 13€ for 4 pieces. You could cut them in two if you want less muffling or need more pieces.

You know what would be nice if they made drums with the little knobs/muffler pads still inside them. I never saw anything wrong with those. I don't even see them in snares anymore. I've got one in my 70s Ludwig snare. Drum companies used to make these for bass drums too. What happened to all that hardware that made sense? Now we have cymbal stands that adjust in 4 places, have a boom arm, counterweight, and can hide the boom and become a straight stand but we don't have mufflers in the drums....
I'm used to seeing rings on kits but they take a lot of attack out of the toms. The projection quality goes down as well. The buzzing is always an issue with the wrinkled rings or ones that are too lightweight. I've never tried Moongels but have always heard good things about them. These make more sense too me than the rings though. Certainly beats the old band-aid or tape tricks I know. I'm curious as to their effect on cymbals...
BTW: if you have a "horrible ring on your expensive snare" that sounds like a problem..unless it's brass

Back