Best way to keep a bass drum from moving

(Future)DWdrummer

Ok so I have a gig today and I just finished sound check.. problem is, my darn bass drum won't sit still.. I wrapped the legs with duct tape and its fine now but I'm curious.. what's the best way to keep a bass drum from moving?

Put it on a rug. Peace and goodwill.

Is the bassdrum lifted with it's legs, so that the drum is only resting at 3 points? Mine never moves, I have a thick rug for the drumkit.

Edit: Oh, saw that it was in a gig situation. Tie the drum to your drum stool :)

A drum rug certainly helps. I traveled with one, always in my ride. If I needed a rug for on stage, I had one. If the stage had a decent carpet, then it stayed in the ride. Better safe than sorry. But .... the list of "variables" to this musical question, is many.​
Some kicks (spur systems) simply aren't designed as well as others. This is especially true with vintage drums.​
Not all carpet is equal. I've been on carpeted surfaces that had no grip capabilities, at all. And, as Sjogras mentioned, I've literally tied my kick to my throne, being no other "quick fix" available.​
My most favorite combo ..... a kick pedal with enough velcro under it, to anchor it to the drum rug .... and of course, a drum rug that grips like velcro.​

Decent quality rug (berber) on sale at a home improvment store.
Roll up, place in transport vehicle.
EXTEND SPURS on BD legs.
Stomp away.

I always keep some of these (sandbags) in different sizes and weights in the van just in case there's a problem with equipment movement, instability or balance. They're a quick and easy fix for a variety of situations. A ten or fifteen pound bag in front of each spur will stop it from walking.

DSC_0009jpg-2.jpg

Dennis

Oh yeah, almost forgot about that rope trick...

Tie each bass drum spur to one of the throne legs.

Gibraltar makes a bass drum anchor that mounts to the front hoop - Gibraltar part # SC-4402. These anchors work very well as long as your bass drum is on carpet. I still have several of the anchors that were manufactured by the Ludwig Drum Co. years ago, and they still work.

Although the anchors work very well, I have found I do not need them on my newer kits. Most newer bass drums have spurs that are designed much better than the old ones. Once again, they work if you are on carpet. Just don't set up on a bare gym floor or any nice wood floor without a piece of carpet under the bass drum (or whole kit). The spurs and the add-on anchors have rubber tips, but they are not as effective as the spiked ends.

Ok so I have a gig today and I just finished sound check.. problem is, my darn bass drum won't sit still.. I wrapped the legs with duct tape and its fine now but I'm curious.. what's the best way to keep a bass drum from moving?

What's really happening here is your pedal is moving, its not really the bass drums fault.

You need to anchor the pedal.

What's really happening here is your pedal is moving, its not really the bass drums fault.

You need to anchor the pedal.

Very true. If you restrain the pedal, the drum won't move. Only the pedal is getting pressure applied to it - not the drum itself.

I use a small olefin mat, which has a short nappy top and tough rubber edging and bottom - the kind of rug used in banks and restaurants. It holds onto the scratchy Velcro on the bottom of the pedal incredibly well. The small rug is just big enough to reach my pedal, hihat and stool, which are the only things really at risk of scooting away. If I am playing on carpet then I don't even need the olefin mat.

I ordered my bass drum without spurs and I have a low cradle in front for stability. The Velcro bond under the pedal is the ONLY thing keeping my bass drum in place and it never, ever moves.

Take off the front head. Drill some 1/2 x6'' lag bolts through the shell into the floor. Replace front head. You said the best way, not the most practical.

Very true. If you restrain the pedal, the drum won't move. Only the pedal is getting pressure applied to it - not the drum itself.

The beater applies plenty of pressure to the head, at least the way I play. My bass drum moves independently of my pedal all the time. I haven't found a reasonable solution though. I my try the sand bags.

The beater applies plenty of pressure to the head, at least the way I play. My bass drum moves independently of my pedal all the time. I haven't found a reasonable solution though. I my try the sand bags.

Yeah, I see what you're saying there. So just keep the pedal clamped tightly to the hoop and you shouldn't have any problems. Sandbags might work, but they look goofy and will slide around too.

If you're on a slick surface like vinyl or hardwood, you need to bring you own "surface" like a small rug and make sure the scratchy Velcro on the bottom of the pedal is contacting the fuzzy nap of the rug. If your drum is securely clamped to your pedal, the drum will never move.

Really, with pedals and a nappy rug, I don't think it is ever necessary to use spikes or anything else. I haven't in years.

Bonham's tech used to drill a hole in the front/resonant bass drum hoop and bolted the bass drum to the riser. Sounds good, that is, if you pack your own riser along with the rest of your gear to each gig ;)

If your drum is securely clamped to your pedal, the drum will never move.

Yup, pretty obvious... 'if' your pedal is clamped to the BD, the BD cannot move unless your pedal moves.

You need to secure your pedal.

Back