Mike Portnoy

Went to the G3 concert last night in Pompano beach. Playing with JOHN PETRUCCI, there was Mike Portnoy what a greeat supprise that was!!!

Mike was excellent, what a great performer he is.

mike is pretty amazing.
who is better? and im not asking that thinking there isnt someone i would just like to know so i can check them out.
anywho mikes style is kick ass and he fits the music great what more could you ask for ?

mike portnoy stinks. danny carey is so much better and way more creative.

Well thank you for taking the time out of your life to explain carefully why.

that was a real informative and valuble opinion for the forum.

now, im not trying to start some big problem, but I wish people would take a bit more care to fully put across thier opinion.

for example, you could have said -

"I think that Danny Carey is a better player, and is way more creative. I understand that Portnoy is a respected drummer, therefore he cant be that bad, but I favour Carey."

not so hard really - just dont trash someone, just 'cos you dont like them.
Portnoy has many fans(me included) so you cant really say he "stinks"

peace

Well thank you for taking the time out of your life to explain carefully why.

that was a real informative and valuble opinion for the forum.

now, im not trying to start some big problem, but I wish people would take a bit more care to fully put across thier opinion.

for example, you could have said -

"I think that Danny Carey is a better player, and is way more creative. I understand that Portnoy is a respected drummer, therefore he cant be that bad, but I favour Carey."

not so hard really - just dont trash someone, just 'cos you dont like them.
Portnoy has many fans(me included) so you cant really say he "stinks"

peace

i think you might be taking this a little to seriously

mike IS the best

In your oppinion he IS the best

Hes a great drummer and a major influence to me, but he isnt the be all and end all

nahh, not my opinion......he IS the best

nuh-uh...
He really is very good, no reasonable person will deny it, but the "best drummer" title is a very subjective one. If I had to choose a drummer for a progressive band (given that I could choose literaly any drummer) I'd choose him (or virgil donati of portnoy's busy) any time, but for a funky band I think I'd go for another one.
And the "best drummer" title is also subjective to personal taste.

nuh-uh...
He really is very good, no reasonable person will deny it, but the "best drummer" title is a very subjective one. If I had to choose a drummer for a progressive band (given that I could choose literaly any drummer) I'd choose him (or virgil donati of portnoy's busy) any time, but for a funky band I think I'd go for another one.
And the "best drummer" title is also subjective to personal taste.

Yes and style of music that the drummer plays.
This has probably been established many many times.

Mike portnoy is a very good drummer and i do enjoy watching and listing to him drumming but hes need to get more creative and I KNOW that danny carey is way better than mike portnoy. If anybody has every heard of tools songs they would agree with me for sure!

Tool are fantastic musicians
DT are fantastic musicians

The day I can call into question their musicality will be the day I have the cojones to compare my drumming to theirs - almost certainly never. Try to avoid being a fanboy - perspective may make one a wiser person; it certainly makes ones' posts an easier read!

Back