A bit of much needed honesty today!

We don't have any of that mess here in Arkansas. No emissions, no inspections, no nothing. If it runs and has all its lights, you are good to go.

what Arkansas fail to see is that their emissions effect other states as well, not just theirs.

One day I will understand US politics. It seems to me that in the US tighter controls over people's behaviour equals liberalism, unless the controls are placed over people's sex lives or preferred state of consciousness, in which case the tighter controls become Republican ...

That was quite a witty statement. Thanks for making me smile.

Back to Bo's point. Mechanics are one group in which honesty is always a surprise. If I could just find an honest home contractor, I'd be set.

One day I will understand US politics. It seems to me that in the US tighter controls over people's behaviour equals liberalism, unless the controls are placed over people's sex lives or preferred state of consciousness, in which case the tighter controls become Republican ...

Awesome, Grea. Very nice :)

Bo..I have to have my vehicle checked for emmissions and mechanical defects every year,in addition to registration.That amounts to over 120 bucks.

The engine light usually comes on if you have a defective oxygen sensor,or just a lose wire,I'm glad you met an honest machanic.Here is Staten Island,the're like hens teeth.My usual guy,retired,and sold the business to a thief.The standard labor charge in NY city is 85 dollars and hour.

Mechanics in NY state,are required to give you back your old/defective parts when they complete the work,should you ask for them,as proof,that they actually replaced the part.

This thief,had a small dumpster in the back of the shop,where he stored some replaced parts,so if some one asked for them back,he could just dig something out.

Often times,you may not need a new battery or starter or alternator or fuel pump.Lots of times it's just a lose wire.This guy was just spray painting the part,while it was still in the car,connecting the lose wire,and charging you for a new part...plus 2 hours labor.

Not a bad profit.It cost about 2.75 for a can of paint,and about 10 minutes to clean and paint the old part.

Steve B

Last edited:
what Arkansas fail to see is that their emissions effect other states as well, not just theirs.

I agree. Good point. Not to bash the great state of Arkansas but emissions control is a good thing. The not so good thing is that a majority of auto shops use this as an opportunity to gouge customers. Too often we drop off the car for inspection and wait and wait all nervous for "that phone call" from the repair person hoping that we don't have to get a loan so the car can pass inspection and we can drive again.

Not fair that trucks don't have to follow the same emission standards (I think).

We have less than 3 million people statewide, with a population density of 56 people per square mile.

My wife's cousin and his girlfriend just moved here from California like 3 weeks ago. One of the first things they said when they got here is "The sky is so big here. We don't have this much sky in Cali." Anyone want to guess why? No smog or air pollution.

There is also lots of money in this area, and most people drive fairly new cars.

We like freedom here, not big government.

We have less than 3 million people statewide, with a population density of 56 people per square mile.

My wife's cousin and his girlfriend just moved here from California like 3 weeks ago. One of the first things they said when they got here is "The sky is so big here. We don't have this much sky in Cali." Anyone want to guess why? No smog or air pollution.

There is also lots of money in this area, and most people drive fairly new cars.

We like freedom here, not big government.

Nothing against Arkansas, and they probably cant see the stars at night in Cali like you can either.

I've had my eye on Arkansas for several years...I'm retiring there, plain and simple. The Ozarks are one of the most beautiful locations in our wonderful country.

I love the USA....But, I do agree with the sentiment here regarding the political state of affairs in this country.

I've had my eye on Arkansas for several years...I'm retiring there, plain and simple. The Ozarks are one of the most beautiful locations in our wonderful country.

I love the USA....But, I do agree with the sentiment here regarding the political state of affairs in this country.

We did a vacation in Florida one year and we drove from Orlando down to Key West. Once you leave the mainland heading through the Keys, we met alot of disgruntled, angry people who complained about everything in this country and how it was heading down the tubes. I had to tell one guy, "Hey, you know you're still living in the United States, right?" I think in the Keys they think it isn't the U.S. or something.

Florida is a "unique" place to begin with....lol

I think as we mature and develop our logical thinking and add some pragmatism to the stew, it is easy to get a bit jaded with some facets of how the country is managed and run....or you can bury your head in the sand and enjoy life.

I don't have any answers, but I know that I have been and will continue to pay may taxes and when I become a tax number emeritus, I am going to expect to live a trouble free life and enjoy my retirement.....thats my expectation. I can see how some get frustrated.

We did a vacation in Florida one year and we drove from Orlando down to Key West. Once you leave the mainland heading through the Keys, we met alot of disgruntled, angry people who complained about everything in this country and how it was heading down the tubes. I had to tell one guy, "Hey, you know you're still living in the United States, right?" I think in the Keys they think it isn't the U.S. or something.

Regarding the political "sleight of hand" that goes on, I often wondered if Michael Jackson was on the government payroll. I seem to recall whenever we got screwed out of something, Michael Jackson would do something crazy. It's all about misdirection, I guess :)

I wonder about this too sometimes. Here in Canada we've had our own sensational political news lately ("crack smoking mayor" sound familiar?). The story and the tolerance for the actions of this one politician are bizarre to me. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but it has crossed my mind that focus on one crazy mayor could easily draw attention away from something else that's happening. It's just such a weird series of events.

Makes me glad I have a straightforward, non-political job.

Bo - it sounds like you're very fortunate with your new mechanic. That case of beer probably made his day, and will likely ensure a great working relationship between the two of you. Good mechanics are hard to find!

I was born and raised in the Lower Keys so I know exactly what you mean.
On April 23,1982 the Keys did symbolically secede from the union in protest of an unjust Federal Govt. blockade of the only highway to the mainland (US-1).
I think some of the locals took it way too seriously. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conch_Republic

18 pack of Coronas.............................................$20
Finding an honest mechanic.................................Priceless!

... We like freedom here, not big government.

Best not to scoff at the crowded, regulated states, Mr IP.

We have over 7 billion people in the world now, growing faster than any time in history. Look at China and India - the way they live is our future. Not culturally, but logistically - that's how things will go with the weight of increasing population. The more people you have in a cramped area, the more rules are needed to maintain orderly society and prevent anarchy.

In truth, many of the most important freedoms in our real lives have nothing to do with rules - it's more a matter of being free to go places and obtain services without spending half your life in a queue ...

I was born and raised in the Lower Keys so I know exactly what you mean.
On April 23,1982 the Keys did symbolically secede from the union in protest of an unjust Federal Govt. blockade of the only highway to the mainland (US-1).
I think some of the locals took it way too seriously. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conch_Republic

18 pack of Coronas.............................................$20
Finding an honest mechanic.................................Priceless!

Wow. I did not know about the symbolic seceding. I'm sure those people also enjoy the fact that the military and red cross can get down there to save them during hurricane season, eh?

Arkansas is my kind of place. I moved to SoCal from Cleveland OH and, lemme tell ya, when it comes time to retire, I'm moving to the Ozarks and ridding myself of this liberal nonsense out here....(did I just say that?)

Ok...yes...here I am....conservative republican on-board....take your shots

Hey Shemp, you stole my previous-stolen-by-me quote! Why, I outta murdilize you!
Seriously though, if you're a conservative, why do you like the Dude? He's a deadbeat hippy liberal!

Don't you just love the Hypocrisy of it all though? LOL! I knew I was gonna get called out on that, but I love that movie beyond words....I could never be the Dude, but "I like his style"

Lots of threads in old duders head :)

Hey Shemp, you stole my previous-stolen-by-me quote! Why, I outta murdilize you!
Seriously though, if you're a conservative, why do you like the Dude? He's a deadbeat hippy liberal!

Best not to scoff at the crowded, regulated states, Mr IP.

We have over 7 billion people in the world now, growing faster than any time in history. Look at China and India - the way they live is our future. Not culturally, but logistically - that's how things will go with the weight of increasing population. The more people you have in a cramped area, the more rules are needed to maintain orderly society and prevent anarchy.

In truth, many of the most important freedoms in our real lives have nothing to do with rules - it's more a matter of being free to go places and obtain services without spending half your life in a queue ...

Not scoffing, just enjoying my free to go places and obtaining services without having to deal with the queue. They can have their big cities and their regulations. I like the slower pace of life where people actually have manners and respect for one another, and aren't all in some sort of hurry. For me, less people = better quality of life.

"This thread is not approved by The Automotive Service Association of America."

...move along...

Back