Sonny Payne

The search failed me to find a dedicated Sonny Payne thread, but what I'm chasing is to find out what snare he used in the 1957 track Fantail with Count Basie off the Complete Atomic Basie album.

I love it's crack and great snare sound.

I appreciate any input!

So I was watching Dom interview Steve Jordan and Steve mentioned Sonny Payne as 'the" man for big band where he was coming up.

So I went to DW's "Drummers" section and found this gem.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/sonnypayne62oldmanriver.html

I always like checking out great drummers influences.

The tempo alone scares the crap out of me.

Sonny is awesome. One of Count’s best. I dont usually go for showboat drumming but man he is supercool and allover it. What a great skilled performer.

Sonny Payne frightens me as well. That's a very cool arrangement of that classic, but Sonny gave me the feeling that time was running out through that whole piece!

Holy Moly how does he play hi hats so fast (well all of it so fast)-the first two minutes he's on freaking fire-damn. I don't care much for the stick tricks-he don't need it when he plays like that, but it is a good show. It's like "metal" chops part of it-LOl. All these jazz cat drummers just blow me away.

Holy Moly how does he play hi hats so fast (well all of it so fast)-the first two minutes he's on freaking fire-damn. I don't care much for the stick tricks-he don't need it when he plays like that, but it is a good show. It's like "metal" chops part of it-LOl. All these jazz cat drummers just blow me away.

Totally agree about the stick tricks. His solo kinda lost it for me once that started. The rest was great though. I just love it when a drum solo is like one big release. It's like a fireworks display, just keeps building and building, getting a little more busy and intense until BOOM! grand finale. Or a good firefight scene in a war movie. Starts with a couple of shots back and forth, then all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. Until the stick tricks, then everyone dies! Regardless, good stuff none the less.

The original Madd Drummer! Matter of fact, the original blast beat drummer too. And check the kick at the end...

Wow what a pick Larry! Thanks that was absolutely amazing. Ill have to return the favor. Just getting back from Vegas then Vegas flu lol. Oy Im getting old

there is not much out there about this guy but from what I have heard I put him way up on my list of great drummers. Maybe it's just his showmanship but I hear some really advanced stuff in his solos. Sonny just had the touch on the drums and his big smile said a lot too.

Yes he is the man. Actually, I would say there is a fair amount about revered about him, one of the Count's best. We shouldn't confuse showboating with style and technique. The dude had it all in spades.

Last edited:
He had such a strong swing it was contagious.
I recommend a sit down in a comfortable chair and start blasting the Sinatra/Basie album "It might as well be swing" as a primer to his playing.
Great groove and use of dynamics to propel the band and the singer on every song.

Last edited:
Another great album was Atomic Basie. A few more uptempo instrumental charts than the Sinatra record.

Last edited:
absolutely. when I listen to Buddy Rich now I hear Sonny.

Why? On one side Buddy Rich is a much earlier drummer, on the other the style is completly different.

Back