Electric or Acoustic?

Vixus

Hey guys, I haven't visited these forums in a looong time. Been developing as a drummer quite a bit since then ;)
Anyway I'm in a band now and we've been gigging quite a bit and looking to record our first EP.

Trouble is, since I'm at university during most of the year and my kit is at home, the two-hour practice sessions with the band once or twice a week is all I get and it's just not enough.

I had quite a nice big room in my flat this year so assuming I'll get to keep it I was thinking about a practice kit I could keep in there. At first I thought I could get a nice acoustic kit, put practice pads on it, my custom triggers and a drum module and then also be able to use it for gigs etc.

Then I realised that since I live on the top floor of a tall building that might not be a great idea, not to mention it's my last year and I don't know if I'll be staying in this city. So alternatively, I could go for a Jobeky set (£649) with a drum module.

I know it's up to personal choice and so on but my budget is only <$1000 (<£700) so it's going to be quite hard. I mean the acoustic is looking like the cheaper option but it'll be tough to handle unless I can get one that is somehow easily transportable.

So to get to the point, could anyone recommend electric/acoustic kits and/or drum modules that would fit within my budget?
Oh yeah, this will be in addition to me roaming the local drum stores. :D

Real drums won't short-circuit if you spill the coffee :D

#2 Real drums don't need amp speakers to carry around, so factor that in. Carry real drums in the cases or worry about the amp speakers? I messed around with some electronic drums in a music store one time but didn't think much of it besides the fact that I could make myself sound like a disco-inferno revival or something.

Keep it real my Bro! Keep it real! Find a way to play an acoustic kit.

Showing up to a practice session or gig with a plastic electronic kit would make it look like your jamming on a toy.

I think I would be embarrased to gig with one.

unless it was like a TD-20, but electronic kits under a $1000 look hokey

I own and play both all the time. I have a few good acoustic kits and a Roland TD20 kit.

I love both but I personally feel they both have their place. I use the Roland kit for private practicing and recording and my acoustics for live playing.

Practice: I find they are the best tool ever for this, I ind when I practice on a acoustic kit I know the neighbors can hear me. I tend to play grooves and fill and I shy away from repeated patterns I know will drive the family and neighbors nuts. With the E kit I really tend to hunker down and work on things I need to. Not to mention the built in metronome and patterns.

Recording. There are still some sounds that are not perfect but they are pretty darn good. The TD20 has individual outs so I simply plug in to my board and record. I never have to worry about outside noise or mic bleed. So I am ready to record at any time.

Live, I tried to gig with the E kit. I quickly found that the PA needed to really drive the drums has to be big, there was a terrible delay that made playing all but impossible. It was no fun. Also even though I have a top of the line E kit I truly feel they are not tough enough to withstand the riggers of gigging all the time.

I ALWAYS use a acoustic kit for gigging. The fact is, at this time even the top of the line e kits are not as expressive and sensitive as the real deal. A good kit with good cymbals just has that tactile feel thing that th E drums are still trying to capture.

Also a note, even if you have a E kit, if you are in an upstairs location the impact of the bass drum pedal transfers through the floor. This is an ongoing discussion with e drum players. There is a platform that a lot of them build using two pieces of plywood and placing tennis balls in between them.

So I am really saying both are great, it just depend on what you are going to be doing.

Real drums don't need amp speakers to carry around, so factor that in.

E-drums don't need speakers either. You can plug in a headphone or hifi and play.

I messed around with some electronic drums in a music store one time but didn't think much of it besides the fact that I could make myself sound like a disco-inferno revival or something.

Contrary to you, I have some real experience with e-drums. Been playing five years on a basic roland and can't complain. Best practice set! I now play much more than before with a-drums and they have dramatically improved my skills, both musical and technical.

Also a note, even if you have a E kit, if you are in an upstairs location the impact of the bass drum pedal transfers through the floor. This is an ongoing discussion with e drum players. There is a platform that a lot of them build using two pieces of plywood and placing tennis balls in between them.

Just place a thick carpet or iso-foam. that's what I did and never had neighbours complaining.

I say: a-drums for performing, e-drums for practice.
For some examples of my playing on the roland, type "madjazz drums" in youtube.

Back