Todd Sucherman here!

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the kind reply. I received the Styx Grand Illusions / Pieces of Eight DVD on Saturday after watching the program several times on Palladia. I am in the process of transcribing the Grand Illusions cut and will tackle the succeeding cuts in the coming weeks and months. I put your performance on this DVD up there with the Swinging New Band, Live at the Chez album by Buddy Rich in terms of driving the band, integrating your playing with the ensemble and tasteful support of the guitar and keyboard solos. In my opinion, your melodic use of your tom toms and bass drums to support the songs' melodies exceeds that of both Neil Peart and Ginger Baker during his days with Cream. I believe your creative use of your cymbals to selectively accent key notes in the songs' melodies exceeds that of Keith Moon.

I'll be glad to send you a PDF copy of the transcription of the Grand Illusions cut when I finish it, should you wish. I have found that the process of transcription helps me to appreciate the subtle aspects of various drummers' playing and with playing along with the songs on my drum set.

My copy of your first instructional DVD Methods and Mechanics should arrive today from Amazon. After watching it I will write a thoughtful review on Amazon. I know that reviews help customers make buying decisions.

I'll be ordering Methods and Mechanics II from your website after I finish the first video as I know you make more money from the sales of your copies than from the royalties from the publisher. (I have written and published six books about WWII history, so I know a little something about the royalties versus author's copies sales.)

I will try to get out to one of the Styx concerts and one of your clinics during this coming year.

Your playing on the Styx DVD has inspired my three year old grandson to play my drum set after losing interest several months ago. Thank you for that! (He's standing at my side bugging me to go play the drums right now.) Maybe he will decide to follow in your footsteps.

Respectfully,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Again, your kind words are appreciated very much. I'm happy that you are enjoying the live DVD and hope you enjoy Methods and Mechanics. You are correct that any artist benefits substantially more from their own web site sales so I hope you'll consider the link below when you are ready for the MM2 DVD. As well there is a transcription/companion book for the first DVD (the one you are waiting for) from Hudson Music available on their site.

Here's wishing you many happy musical hours!
Cheers-

http://toddsucherman.com/methods-and-mechanics-2.html

Matthias,

Listening to yourself is the best way to hone in on grove, sound, feel, timing, etc. Anything you work on will translate onto a recording device for you to objectively analyze. It's a matter of being honest with yourself and making the adjustments in your laying to get it to sound the way you wish to.

I hope that helps!

Todd

Listening to yourself is the best way to hone in on grove, sound, feel, timing, etc. Anything you work on will translate onto a recording device for you to objectively analyze. It's a matter of being honest with yourself and making the adjustments in your laying to get it to sound the way you wish to.

I hope that helps!

Todd[/QUOTE]

Hi Todd
I guess investing in an electronic kit has been wise then since I can record myself easily (never been able to before). Question on that though I know should I record myself constantly? For example with a click track and music? Should I try doing both my exercises with a metronomic device and record myself along with it as well as practicing with songs (trying to tackle some songs off M&M book)? Btw I just got a copy of Styx Rejuvenation and I have to say man I freaking love your playing its full of taste and chops perfectly mixed together and I am really learning a lot from everything you have put out. Long story short I am just saying thanks for all the material you have put out there (especially educational). I know it is a labor of love and most artist don't really get much money from doing those types of ventures. Happy playing bro and I hope we can have you in AZ for a clinic sometime.

Best wishes,
Gustavo

Hello Todd,
It's been awesome watching you on the M&M II DVD. I enjoy how you make it easy to learn some of the parts and how you explain and break down the drum parts. I also enjoyed how you built the ideas for the bass drum placements and played it without the cool 'ballsy' style. And thanks to you I'm also starting to play using trad grip again. Thanks for making it look cool.
Fellow Chicagoan Will

Gustavo--

You are correct on all counts. Do everything, record and listen! And yes, most dvd sales don't add up to much. It's a lob or of love (in my case anyway) so when someone buys it, it really means a lot.
Thanks!

Will--

Thanks for the kind words! They are truly appreciated. Thanks for sharing your enjoyment of the dvd with me. By the way, I'll be doing a clinic in Chicago for Vic's shop--and the location is at Cobra Lounge on March 28th. Hope you can make it. I might as well post the 4 clinics I have coming up below.

Cheers!
TS

March 25*Clinic*
Dealer: Monzingo Music 4689 HWY K O'Fallon MO 63368
Tele: 636-300-9553

March 26 Clinic*
Dealer: The Music Shoppe 1540 E College Ave Normal IL 61761*
Tele: 309-452-7436

March 27th Clinic*
Dealer: West Music 4305 44th Ave Moline IA*
Tele: 309-764-9300

March 28 Clinic
Vic's Drum Shop
Tele: 312-770-1200
Location at Cobra Lounge: 235 North Ashland Avenue Chicago, IL 60607

Gustavo--

March 25*Clinic*
Dealer: Monzingo Music 4689 HWY K O'Fallon MO 63368
Tele: 636-300-9553

March 26 Clinic*
Dealer: The Music Shoppe 1540 E College Ave Normal IL 61761*
Tele: 309-452-7436

March 27th Clinic*
Dealer: West Music 4305 44th Ave Moline IA*
Tele: 309-764-9300

March 28 Clinic
Vic's Drum Shop
Tele: 312-770-1200
Location at Cobra Lounge: 235 North Ashland Avenue Chicago, IL 60607

Enjoy the tour Todd!!!

Fav

Just wanted to thank you for posting the pic on Facebook the other day from the 2003 Cincinnati concert (the one where you were playing on stage with Deen Castronovo). Brought back a lot of great memories for me. I was there and how awesome to see 2 of my favorite drummers on stage together! Keep on rockin' Todd!

John--

Thanks a lot! Hope all's well with you!

Timebandit--

I use a different kit at each clinic. At this time it looks like I'll be using Phil Brines's (great local Chicago drummer) kit which is a Masterworks very similar to one of mine. Hope you can make it out--come say hello!

MaryO--

Thanks! That was a really fun night indeed!

Cheers,
Todd

hello todd, greetings from croatia!

i have question/need advice about foot technique.
i've been playing heel up during my whole playing carrer and now i've realized that i might have been doing that wrong. let me explain; my motion was from my knees and hips, pushing the whole leg onto pedal. now, i want more ankle motion, and less the whole leg motion, if you know what i mean. so, about a week ago i started doing all my practice routine by playing heel down and i've been planning to do it that way for month or two (to streghten and isolate ankle motion), then after that period, simply raise my foot to heel up position. i would kindly need your opinion about this.

cheers and stay safe! :)

Last edited:
Marin--

I'm no foot technique expert. I just do what I do, and that most times I'm parallel with the footboard. Not heel up or down…just flat ghosting the board. But I can play both ways too depending on tempo and dynamics. Just like you can hit a drum more than one way, there's other ways depending of what you're trying to musically achieve. So I suppose it's good to have multiple strokes in your wheelhouse. Hope that helps.

Leadfoot-

Thanks!

Cheers from Kansas City,

Todd

Hi Todd. Loved the video message by you (and Styx) that was played at the 40th anniversary fan appreciation concert Kansas gave this weekend in Pittsburgh. Totally classy...and you were pretty funny as well (I won't go into the details.....) ! Of course Phil Ehart and band were amazing.

Peace and good wishes. Come back to Steeler Country soon. Thanks.

Hi Todd!

What cymbals are your personal favourites among the Sabian Players Choice?
I really enjoyed the video!

// Erik

Hi Todd.

Thank you so much for those super cool Sabian cymbal demos! They really sound interesting and your playing is just delicious and flooring.

I wondered what sticking pattern you're using in the 14'' B8 Pro Assault Hats video.
Could you explain that sticking?

For easier navigation - here's the link to those videos, the video mentioned is the 3rd video.
http://www.cymbalvote.com/artists/view/todd-sucherman

Thanks in advance!

larryz-

Thanks! They are good guys indeed.

Larta--

I liked them all really. They all have a place in a large recording arsenal. The Sick Hats were fun and the Smoky Ride had a good vibe. The Tremor was cool too. Hope you enjoyed the vids.

Arky--

Not sure what section you inquire about as I go through a few different things. Near the end I play a "1e a2e a3e a4e" which is really the only tricky thing and it happens quickly. Sorry to be of limited help. I just got back from 48 hours in Spain and I'm a bit lagged at the moment. Glad you enjoyed the vids.

Cheers to you all-
TS

Todd, caught your gig at Mohegan arena last month....you killed it! Really great drumming!
It looked like you switched a few times from trad to matched grip, I could be wrong but if you did, why? just wondering.

Hi Todd!
This is Jason from Drums Etc. in Lancaster, PA. You did a clinic at the shop back in February of 2012. One of the best if not the best clinics I've ever attended to date:) Thanks for the inspiration Todd!

Jason

Old Hyde--

Thanks for checking out the show and for the kind words. Yes, I go back and forth even within the same song to whatever feels best at the time. I've always played both ways but trad grip is "home" so to speak. Hope you come see us again when we swing through town.

Jason-

Thanks a lot! Give my regards to the crew at the shop. Cheers!

Todd

Back