What kind of drummer are you?

I'm just your standard punk/rock/indie drummer dude that can't read music and can't afford top of the line equipment and practices in a basement somewhere. that about sums it up...

My band is a punk band, and honestly, I love punk rock the most, but at home I groove on funk,metal and sometimes jazz as well as punk rock.

a gear junkie, always tearing something apart just to see what makes it work... a very heavy hitter... and always trying to learn something different!

Fat, clumsy and sweaty...with an alarming lack of musicianship and dubious timekeeping abilities...probably an unemployable jack of few trades....

This man is lying through his teeth in the highlighted text.

Last edited:
rhythm/chops drummer crossed with a one style drummer. I'm an older guy, and got into drums seriously under a year ago. I just want to kick ass at the style of music I love, I don't care about being the most well rounded. But if that happens, I ain't complaining. I am band focused, not so much focused on my own progression as a drummer, unless it makes my band better, if that makes any sense.

ha... I've probably never seen a fat dude who played drums and was bad.

I have! I've seen a fairly large guy a few times who plays his drums and cymbals as one would play a mortal enemy's head with a baseball bat. Not nice. I mean, I used to be like that once...probably...but surely not that bad...

...having said that, I'm only 9% fat (no, really. It said so on my packet), so perhaps I'm in some kind of alternate ungrooving thin drummer category that maybe exists but I don't know.

How about this - The Basher! I'm sure we've all seen a few - it's more about a workout than playing music - having a great time making a big sweaty noise, and just remembering where the song ends.
I met such a guy recently who unashamedly accepted the title of "Basher", when I suggested that there are musical drummers, and there are bashers - "That's me!" he cried.

For myself, I'd like to think I'm the musical drummer, tho recently I've worked at improving the chops, and I'd also like to be versatile, the jack of all trades - but I want to be the Master too!!!

I'd like to add/create a new category: "feel" drummer; as in, like myself, someone who, if ya can feel it, ya can play it. Usually this is a self-taught/DIY recreational drummer, but not always. You see quite a few interviews with popular or session names that are "feel" guys.

I dont play in any bands like some of you folks. I love to play along the records that I have, mostly Slow Bluesy ones including the stones (Wild Horses, Down in the hole........) Neil You (Helpless....),,,, Bob Seger (Against the wind) etc.. etc.... with some additional chops for my own enjoyment.

so.... "one style drummer" or a "feel drummer (some times the chops just play in my head when I listen to some songs" )may be?

Honestly, when I see others play I think I know absolutely nothing!. I am still learning from watching others play.

I think im a musician drummer in traning im learning to read music got up to grade 5 and climbing

But at the moment im a chop drummer but saying that my technique is not brilliant so I think im a mix, im quite versitile I play jazz in grade and in school bands and rock in my band and funk in my free time soo im a little of each I think......

Very good question though

Tris

There are only 3 drummer classifications/ now or at any time in the history of music.

1. Good.

2. Hope to be good someday.

3. Bad.

And ...again

Almost all musical drummers have insanely good chops. In almost all cases, you cannot separate the two. There are very, very few drummers you could call musicians who aren't chop endowed, including the spacious ones. Most times, players like that have all the chops they need, but merely don't flaunt them at every opportunity. IMO you can count the musical drummers who are/were chop challenged on one hand.

I'd give myself a(n)...
B+ for pop/rock drumming
C+ for funk/hard rock drumming
C- for jazz/blues/dixie drumming
D for metal

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the most obsessive about gear, 5 being the least obsessive about gear), I'd say I'm a level 2.

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the best with technique, 5 being the worst), I'd say I'm a level 3.

Back