Show Off Your DW Kit

Don't be afraid to post a picture or two, lol.

What is your opinion on the throw-off/butt plate combination? I have the same configuration on my DW Classic snare and find it most convenient and quiet to use.

Dennis
How does that puppy sound!? The black nickel brass shell is a thinner version of their usual brass shell. Bet that baby is warm and resonant. I want it.

Don't be afraid to post a picture or two, lol.

What is your opinion on the throw-off/butt plate combination? I have the same configuration on my DW Classic snare and find it most convenient and quiet to use.

Dennis

lol :)

I love the throw/butt combo. It's the best thing a company could ever put on a snare drum.

How does that puppy sound!? The black nickel brass shell is a thinner version of their usual brass shell. Bet that baby is warm and resonant. I want it.

It truly is a beautiful sounding snare drum. So warm and to put it simply; perfect. It's going to be my "workhorse" for a while.

I love custom drum companies offering an instrument you can really customize exactly to your tastes. Not something every drummer geeks out about, but if you do it's fun.
I call this my cold dead hands kit, since I plan on taking it to the grave. The entire kit
is dialed in to my tastes, from the 20"VLX bass drum to the 3/8ths Supersolid maple snare. Not to mention the heartwood curly finish.

illustrator X - is there a big difference between the regular exotic Curly Maple and the John Good Heartwood Curly Exotic? It looks like the 'regular' Curly is a little less figured than the heartwood - but it's hard to tell exactly in pictures. I've got my eye on it and wanted to see what you thought the differences were.

Thanks man!
--Patrick

Here's my dw kit in Burnt Toast Fade Lacquer. Built in 2001 and has held up amazingly well. The only dings are on the rear bass drum hoop (pedal) and where my snare has accidentally put a few chips in the paint on just below my rack tom.

Here's the set (not shown 7x8, 9x12 toms):
2012-02-05103314.jpg

2012-02-05103257.jpg

This is what I've got ordered:
P1015140.jpg

And this is what I eat for dessert:
dwcake.jpg

The candles make it look like that scene from Friends where Chandler asks Monica to marry him. A temple of DW. Very nice indeed.

illustrator X - is there a big difference between the regular exotic Curly Maple and the John Good Heartwood Curly Exotic? It looks like the 'regular' Curly is a little less figured than the heartwood - but it's hard to tell exactly in pictures. I've got my eye on it and wanted to see what you thought the differences were.

Thanks man!
--Patrick
Yes sir the heartwoood curly has more random woody figuring. The straight up curly is very consistent. Only downside is the heartwood is limited supplies. So I have in the back of my head I need to order another floor tom before it's too late. I don't need another floor tom, it's a monkey on my back I tells ya!

Attachments

• DW dk 6.jpg
    DW dk 6.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 2,824
...The brass is on the move again.

This jazz kit is headed over to the house of a buddy from work where I am going to be jamming every week.

I switched the brass hardware from the classic kit. I have to find a picture of every kit this brass hardware has been on.

This is my extra/jam kit. 18x16, 12x8, 14x14, 14x6. 14" el sabor hats, 18" aax dark crash, 14" aax dark and 14"aax explosion crashes.

Really looking forward to making some noise next week.

Barry

Last edited:
Yes sir the heartwoood curly has more random woody figuring. The straight up curly is very consistent. Only downside is the heartwood is limited supplies. So I have in the back of my head I need to order another floor tom before it's too late. I don't need another floor tom, it's a monkey on my back I tells ya!

Thanks you! My two favorite JG Exotics are the twisted olive and the heartwood curly. It is hard to tell how some of the exotics would look on a kit with a 1 inch sample that don't have a drumset pic along with it. Did you look at any other exotics? I'm also considering Guanacosta...gorgeous!! http://shop.drumsforless.com/DW-NATURAL-TO-CANDY-BLACK-FADE-OVER-GUANACOSTA-SO-791139.htm

It truly is a beautiful sounding snare drum. So warm and to put it simply; perfect. It's going to be my "workhorse" for a while.

I played one in a store yesterday - no wonky overtones or excessive ring - I didn't mess with tension, and it sounded great...

ill X has played my kit and knows the difference! His Heartwood has more going on than my straight up Curly Maple - but I'm not complaining!

Thanks you! My two favorite JG Exotics are the twisted olive and the heartwood curly. It is hard to tell how some of the exotics would look on a kit with a 1 inch sample that don't have a drumset pic along with it. Did you look at any other exotics? I'm also considering Guanacosta...gorgeous!! http://shop.drumsforless.com/DW-NATURAL-TO-CANDY-BLACK-FADE-OVER-GUANACOSTA-SO-791139.htm
The Guanacosta looks rich and classy. It will have a bold impact even from a distance.
I love a lot of the exotic woods.One isn't really better than the other. My favorites seem to change daily. When I saw my heartwood kit in a John Robinson Jr ad, I was sold. So hopefully you see a kit that just whacks you over the head.
My next kit will be a vintage burst over something :p

Thanks! I love playing this drum. If I'm playing and a set is already provided, I always bring this drum with me anyway. Looking back I wish I had went with a Broken Glass finish instead of the Red Onyx.

I myself wouldn't mind having one in Blue Twisted Oyster to match my kit. The idea of spending $1200 for a single snare drum does not appeal to me though...

Back