After years of a huge kit, I'm playing a 4-piece.

FatStratCat

So for the last month or so I've had my spare drums and hardware setup in a 4-piece just to see how I like the setup. Well tonight I finally set up my main kit as a 4-piece. My only regret is I was using two single Iron Cobras, so now I'm stuck with a cheap double bass pedal unti I can get a Iron Cobra double.

Drums: Tama Rockstar series, birch kit in piano black.
22x18, Aquarian Superkick II
12x9, Aquarian Response 2
16x16, Aquarian Response 2
14x6.5 Tama Metalworks Snare, Aquarian Hi-Energy

Cymbals: Meinl and Paiste
18" Meinl MB20 China
14" Meinl Byzance China
8" Meinl Classics Bell
18" and 19" Paiste Alpha Rock Crashes
14" Paiste Alpha Rock Hats
20" Paiste Alpha Metal Ride
10" Paiste Alpha Metal Splash

8QQVn.jpg

opMyB.jpg

Y8A37.jpg

Wondering what made you change your mind, onto a 4-piece drum-set.

How is the sound on those 14" Paiste Alpha Rock Hats?

...Thanks!

This is great if it's what You want to do. Although your kit may have shrunk, your pictures have not, lol.

Dennis

I like playing a four piece. It's kinda nice just to get back to basics ya know? It feel like it forces some creativity too, having only the four pieces to work with.

Welcome to the forum!

I personally find that kits with too much stuff, are kind of restricting because you feel like you have to use all of the pieces. It's weird but that's just how it can seem from time to time for me.

Plus, with the 4 piece you have less to carry around, so you really can't go wrong there.

If you could post some pics of your old set up, that would be cool if you had them.

Welcome!

And another welcome to the forum!

My entire life had been spent playing either a four or five piece kit, and at one point last year I had to try the double bass thing with five toms and two actual basses, and although I found it to be alot of fun, I ultimately went back to playing a four or a five piece kit. Yes, mentally I felt 'chained' to having to be able to say something on everything there, or else I felt like, "why do I have this if I never use it?".

But the bigger challenge I think would be to get rid of some of your cymbals. I've been successfully gigging and saying what I need with my single K Custom Dark Ride and a pair of hats, and four drums (with a single pedal, to boot!). Then you can experience a true quick and light set-up!

I commend you for making the effort ;)

How big was your kit previously? Most people play mid-sized kits of 5 to 8 pieces.

The big kits-small kits discussions are kind of odd for that reason. Not many people play large sets. Most play mid-sized kits.

I have to say, though, that your collection of cymbals alone pushes your kit into monster territory. A small kit is a small kit and a kit with many cymbals isn't a small kit.

I have 4 sets - all 4 piece - no interest in more drums anymore. I like 4 piece sets. I like having my ride cymbal and crashes noce and close.I don't have to stretch or reach for anything.Everything is very ergonomic. I have one kit at my rehearsal space ( Ludwig Legacy Classic) , one kit for my Jazz gigs ( DW Jazz series) , one kit for jam sessions ( Ludwig Element SE) and one kit for outdoor gigs and gigs in seedier venues ( Tempus Fibreglass). They each have their own hardware bag that has the same number of stands and pedals. It makes things easier if I get a quick call to go for a gig or rehearsal.

I have 4 sets - all 4 piece - no interest in more drums anymore. I like 4 piece sets. I like having my ride cymbal and crashes noce and close.I don't have to stretch or reach for anything.Everything is very ergonomic. I have one kit at my rehearsal space ( Ludwig Legacy Classic) , one kit for my Jazz gigs ( DW Jazz series) , one kit for jam sessions ( Ludwig Element SE) and one kit for outdoor gigs and gigs in seedier venues ( Tempus Fibreglass). They each have their own hardware bag that has the same number of stands and pedals. It makes things easier if I get a quick call to go for a gig or rehearsal.

Actually, you have a 16-piece Monster Kit but you're too embarrased to keep it all together!

5 is the correct number of drums - ha ha.

2 up, 1 down, snare, bass drum.

Actually, I've got a couple 4 piece kits right now, and am starting to warm up to them.

I have played a four-piece kit since the mid 80s. I usually play four cymbals too: hats, ride, two crashes. I sometimes use a China cymbal too. I do not desire a third tom very often, not often enough to do anything about it (LOL). Peace and goodwill.

Welcome :)
Liking the kit and cymbals!

Very cool that you weren't "afraid" to scale down.

I remember years ago my regular kit was a big double bass affair
I set up as a 4 piece for a day or so, & thought it was lots of fun, but couldn't scale down as my "regular kit" because it wasn't "cool".

I also clearly remember saying "I could never play less than 4 rack toms".....

Now I use one tom :). Three floor toms though hahaha!

1 up, 2 down and left side, or 1 up, 1 each side is the most fun for me, so that's what I use.

I even scaled my cymbals waaay down to mainly 2 in one band, 3 in 3 other bands.
I crash and ride each, so I get any type of sound I want out of them.
I also have a gong, but that's beside the point hahaha!
It's not that big a deal to haul around, and the guy's in the bands like it.

Cool kit man, have fun with it!!

Back