Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Bop Kit?

tylerjames

After browsing various NAMM videos, pictures and whatnot online, I came across the new Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Bop kit and I'm really liking it. I've never played a Stage Custom Birch before, but I love the sizes and the look of the natural finish version. I play a Premier Artist Birch set now (22, 14, 12, 10, 8) and I'm looking to downsize a little bit. How would this kit compare, quality wise, to my Premier Artist Birch set? Also, I used to play a Gretsch Cat Jazz in similar sizes. How would it compare in quality to newer Cat Jazz sets?

This would be a 'working' drum set. Something I wouldn't be afraid to ding up or play in a dirty bar or house show. I play about 5-6 shows a month but I'd also be recording indie hip-hop style stuff with it. I would most likely wind up selling the snare as I have a 5x14 Tama Starclassic Quilted Maple snare that I absolutely love.

Also, does anyone have any idea when these will be available to the public or how much they'd cost? I saw a video where a fella said the street price would be about $499.

Any advice from the almighty forum members would be greatly appreciated!

-Tyler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKeTP1-y8F8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARTR688ndrk

http://uk.yamaha.com/news_events/musical_instruments/stage_custom_be_bop_kit/

I'm glad to see more and more companies making be-bop kits at reasonable prices. Gives me more options when I get around to buying another one. (Had a Gretsch CCJ but sold it recently). This one looks sweet!

I almost pulled the trigger on a Gretsch Catalina Jazz set but after seeing this I think I'll wait until this is offered to the public. You simply can't beat the price. DAve

How would this kit compare, quality wise, to my Premier Artist Birch set? Also, I used to play a Gretsch Cat Jazz in similar sizes. How would it compare in quality to newer Cat Jazz sets?

I would imagine that there will be a bit of a quality drop from the Premier Artist Birch set, but only in the "little things" that make a semi-pro kit that much nicer than a mid-level kit. I know when I went from the Gretsch Maple Renown to the Catalina Jazz I noticed a few minor things, like hollow bass drum claws instead of solid claws with rubber padding, solid rubber feet on the floor tom instead of hollow (prevents vibrations from being transferred into the floor), flanged hoops instead of die-cast, things like that.

Compared to the Cat Jazz, I imagine it would be close to the same, quality-wise. I've seen some of the Stage Custom kits at Sam Ash (almost bought one a year ago) and they are solid kits for the price. Nice finish, all the hardware (lugs and mounts) looks like Yamaha standard mid-level hardware, etc... The Bop configuration looks like the exact same kit as the regular SC with a smaller kick, shorter 12" tom, and a single tom mount instead of the double mount. I can't imagine them doing anything drastically different.

I have to say, I'm a huge fan of the Cat Jazz. I think it is currently the best bop configured kit you can get without spending a ton of money (as long as you replace the snare). The Yamaha is going to give it a run for its money, though.

i play the stage customs, sizes similar to youre current kit, all i can do is talk about the quality of the kit, flawless shells, outstanding hardware and a superb natural gloss finish, do not hesitate to purchase a Yamaha drum kit, quality, quality, quality...

Only minor dislike I see is the bass drum, which is 16x18. I'd prefer a standard 14x18.

I wonder how the Tama Silverstar Birch jazz kit will compare with the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch? Seems to me that they are neck and neck; only significant difference being the Yamaha YESS vs. Tama's Starcast.

I just noticed via photos of the SC Birch bop that the bass drum has only 6 lugs. The Silverstar 18" bass has 8 lugs. Both kits' floor toms have 6 lugs instead of the usual 8. Not sure if that's a quality/tuning issue or not regarding the bass drum.

Also, regarding price, the Tama Silverstar will also be around $490/$500 for an 18/14/12/5x14 snare shell pack. From what NAMM showed, it looks like the Stage Custom Birch bebop will be available in natural and red lacquer? The Silverstars come in four lacquer finishes and four wrap sparkles.

I love Yamaha's stuff, but methinks the Silverstar might be a better option for a working/gigging affordable jazz kit.

Last edited:
I just noticed via photos of the SC Birch bop that the bass drum has only 6 lugs. The Silverstar 18" bass has 8 lugs. Both kits' floor toms have 6 lugs instead of the usual 8. Not sure if that's a quality/tuning issue or not regarding the bass drum.

Also, regarding price, the Tama Silverstar will also be around $490/$500 for an 18/14/12/5x14 snare shell pack. From what NAMM showed, it looks like the Stage Custom Birch bebop will be available in natural and red lacquer? The Silverstars come in four lacquer finishes and four wrap sparkles.

I love Yamaha's stuff, but methinks the Silverstar might be a better option for a working/gigging affordable jazz kit.

In terms of the finishes on the SC, you are correct that for the time being only natural and cranberry red are available. Based on past experience with both Tama and Yamaha, Yamaha will always have those kits in stock, but Tama will probably never have all eight finishes in stock at the same time... it's all about inventory control on the part of Yamaha, I am sure.

I just bought the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Bebop kit. I've only had it a few days, but so far I really like it. Nice sounds. Still deciding on best heads to use with it. But I love the drums so far!

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but...............

I was just on Yamaha's website, and it looks like they have added Raven Black (Lacquer) to the color choices, so now there are three. Also, it looks like these are coming with matching snares now too, according to the .pdf on Yamaha's website (it's too big to attach here....I tried). Also coated heads.

Also, check out the new Honey Amber finish. Awesome! Matte black is new, but MEH............

Too bad you can't get a bebop kit in any other finishes.......

OK - I already had that pdf from when I got my Stage Customs. Must have overlooked it.
It's on page 3 here.

They show the new colors, and also showed it displayed with a snare and a hardware kit.
But I've never seen one for sale like that.
Every place I've seen sells them as a 3 piece shell pack.

Although the Bebop kit is only available in limited finishes, I believe you can order an 18x15 bass drum in any of the Stage Custom finishes. I know it's a hassle but you could buy a 5-piece kit with 20" bass drum, sell off the bass drum and 10" tom, purchase an 18" bass drum, and end up with essentially a Stage Custom bop kit in the color of your choice.

Back