Billy Cobham

Re: Bill Cobham the best drummer?

My friend scotty thinks bill cobham is the best, fastest and overall greatest drummer out there. I disagree with him but he won't listen. Can any of you help me and tell me why you agree or disagree with him. I personally think there are definitley some better drummers , please help!

well, man, if you look at it on paper, billy was ther first (that i know of) to switch the order of his toms around in such a peculiar fashion, he was one of the first (if not the first on the scene) to champion the left hand lead/open handed approach to playing, he was a direct influence on just about every drummer from that era inc: dennis chambers, chancelor, bozzio, omar hakim, VINNIE, gary husband (if im thinking of the right person - level 42 cat), and of course carter beauford. w/ that kinda' respect from some of the heavyweights of the drumming community he must be doing something right.

its okay for him to think that cobham is the best in the world. its his life and his musical career and there is no right or wrong way to approach it.

I can't stand watching Billy solo.....I think he's best in a band situation! PERSONAL OPINION.

I saw him back in the 80's at this little club in Michigan ......it was great. I loved his WARNING album!! WOW

I can't stand watching Billy solo.....I think he's best in a band situation! PERSONAL OPINION.

I saw him back in the 80's at this little club in Michigan ......it was great. I loved his WARNING album!! WOW

i still love bc's solos, but i gotta agree that hearing him in an ensemble setting is where he really shines. his phrasing is fantastic, and he does little simple tricks to turn what is often a relatively easy phrase to play into something interesting. also, he seems to be the last of the jazz drummers to me (or at least one of the last) in that he is very top heavy in his playing (meaning he plays a lot w/ his hands) vs a guy like Vinnie who plays a lot of "drumset" oriented vocabulary.

"Warning" is a classic album and was one of my first billy albums. its also a classic lineup for his band too. if you havent heard it, check it out.

Re: Bill Cobham the best drummer?

well, man, if you look at it on paper, billy was ther first (that i know of) to switch the order of his toms around in such a peculiar fashion, he was one of the first (if not the first on the scene) to champion the left hand lead/open handed approach to playing, he was a direct influence on just about every drummer from that era inc: dennis chambers, chancelor, bozzio, omar hakim, VINNIE, gary husband (if im thinking of the right person - level 42 cat), and of course carter beauford. w/ that kinda' respect from some of the heavyweights of the drumming community he must be doing something right.

its okay for him to think that cobham is the best in the world. its his life and his musical career and there is no right or wrong way to approach it.

I of course relise this now (I was way more ignorant last year). He doesnt think he's the best anymore, but I do not interfere with him. My friend used to be a really good jazz player, but has now turned metal. Nothing wrong with that, but now he thinks Joey Jordinson is the best. Oh boy! He told me this and I looked him right in the eye and said, "Thats great, I think he's pretty cool too" and then just walked away. He's a cool guy and an excellent player. He's fast as hell too! But not really my favorite drummer...

Peace
AGR

"Warning" is a classic album and was one of my first billy albums. its also a classic lineup for his band too. if you havent heard it, check it out.

YES...and Power Play is a very nice one too!!

played "tinsletown" from power play to death when i first got it. and "bahama mama" from "alivemotherforyou" with alphonso johnson and steve kahn. back in the day.(lp's)

Cobham is definetly in my 5 top drummers. His groove, speed, technique and POWER(!!) Still can't understand why he is so unfamous... Many doesn't know nothing about him. Mahavishnu Orchestra forever!

Billy Cobham is really amazing i think though the reason he isn't extremely popular is because Mahavishnu Orchestra is really accesbile or an easy listen

mahavishnu is not an easy listen.granted years have passed,i have to be in the right mood to listen(i still prefer the dregs as far as fusion.) whenever i need a shot of inspiration i put on some mahavishnu or the dregs or some of billy's solo work. i saw his cinic about 10 years ago,up close and personal. the exercises with paradiddles around the kit to bulid speed was astounding.

Got the Goege Duke/ Billy Cobham live in Europe and it is great !

Cobham was one of the last revolutionnary drummers.

When he came out into the scene, every drummer thought : this guy is just too good to be true !

Re: Your Thoughts On Billy Cobham?

Hey, it's just my opinion, but I like B.C. the best. I threw something on another board, and some folks said that he's a sloppy drummer. That surprised me. I'm no musician, but I always thought that he played cleanly and accurately.

Here's the site: http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446132

Here's one of the quotes if you don't want to go there:

"He is a good drummer. However he'll never be one of the greats. There's a simple reason for this.

He ALWAYS is catching rims or his sticks. Even on studio recordings there's clicks and clacks all over.

If you can't play clean, then you shouldn't be trying to play so fast. There's a slew of drummers who play with as much speed, power and creativity who never catch a rim. Let alone multiple times in a given song, on record."

I'm not sure what to think!

A full year later this same guy is still at the same place at the same forum bashing Billy Cobham senseless over the rims issue. But check out what he's saying now.

You won't believe it. Also check out this 24 year old man's post count.

I'll just let the posts speak for themselves.
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14626861&postcount=4

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14590639&postcount=35

That's funny. What a total idiot that guy is.

Hey, I checked out that site with live Billy, and there is some good stuff here.

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/ConcertDetail.aspx?id=20052449|691&aid=28111

That's funny. What a total idiot that guy is.

No man, that is NOT funny. That is the worst unfunny crap I have ever read on the whole friggin internet and it is a scandal that such an idiot is still allowed on that forum.

That does say something about the moderation of that place. The mods must be asleep or on vacation to tolerate that.

We should really stand together and do something about that. Have you read some of his other posts? The racist comments about Billy Cobham are just the tip of the iceberg.

i find it funny that someone would use vinny to validate his claims that billy is a sub par drummer when vinny lists billy cobham as ONE of his MAJOR influences. sounds like this guy on the other forum doesn't know his history.......

Could'nt find a specific thread on him so here's one.
Great feel,can play any style,super quick without pounding the drums,amazing cymbal techniques. A true legend in my eyes with one of the most versatile drummers you will see.

Back